DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bad time to buy a DJI drone?

cameraz

Reactions
I have a photo job coming up next month in which I will need a drone. Since I crashed my original Mini, I've been thinking of getting a Mini 4 Pro. However, I read an article in the news that said that the U.S. government is trying to ban the use of DJI drones because of security concerns.
Would it be risky for me to buy the new drone, only to have it grounded?

IMO - BUY your Drone! I will still continue to buy DJI products. The word Drone sells soap at the moment SO look forward to More speculation about Banning DJI Drones. To actually DO IT is a whole new Ballgame. Are you gonna Ban the Drone or ALL electronics from China ( not even possible). I would also say that there are MANY electronic devices made in China that are sold LEGALLY in this country that can do MUCH worse for the security of the American people Then your drone . I hold in my hand a Device LEGALLY purchased on Amazon This product is imported from china as well. With this device I can instantly replicate any Keyfob and have access to your car. It also works just as well with those Credit cards in your pocket - 80 Bucks on Amazon and NOBODY is crying to the government trying to Ban these!

However, I read an article in the news that said that the U.S. government is trying to ban the use of DJI drones because of security concerns
Assuming this article was referring to banning drones for government use, you should be fine if you don't work for the government.

Reactions: Reid937
Assuming this article was referring to banning drones for government use, you should be fine if you don't work for the government.
No, if affects everybody!

This is a bit confusing. Some of the press on this indicates it's only a ban on US government use of DJI drones. Not private use. But, I have seen some other articles suggesting it might cross over to private. All the articles say a similar thing tho, that the law is poised to be passed. Doesn't sound good. Such a huge fantastic hobby for us all, banned? I've been wanting to upgrade to the M 4 Pro, too. Guess we might have to wait it out and hope it doesn't happen.

A total ban on DJI drones in the United States? I have several and I'm not worried by a possible ban.

Is there a previous example of a total ban on a set of products with millions of items already in use? The government is not coming for your drones, gas stoves, or those other devices we don't discuss here.

Reactions: msinger
If they Ban them- Dronies all over the country will be hacking and flying them. They can Ban them BUT they can't ground them from everybody. As is with other product controls in this country the honest ones are the ones that get regulated into obscurity the Drug Traffikers, Spies, and crimminal elements in our hobby will do just fine.

No, if affects everybody!
Probably highly unlikely. But, if you think it's going to personally affect you, then maybe don't buy a DJI drone.

As for me, I'm going to keeping buying them until the day (if ever) they are actually banned.

There is in fact a bill that would completely prevent the use of DJI drones for everyone. I think the odds are beyond slim that this would happen. I was also sure Trump had no chance at all so my prognostication powers are limited. I would, however, not hesitate to get a drone. There are too many small businesses that would raise hell if it ever came to a vote which it won't.

Reactions: cameraz
If you’re old enough, remember all the hoopla immediately before the year turned 2000? The government will eventually get interested in something else. I fly for the County Safety Services and we just bought a $15,000 DJI drone. Buy your drone.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas