DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy crash, gimbal is reversed! Help! *With FIX*

gershee

Reactions
DJI Mavic 2 Zoom.
Crashed into a hill during a night shoot.
Flew the drone back with a gimbal overload.
Once I land the bird I see the gimbal is backwards!
The camera is facing the drone itself and only will rotate upwards!
It's as if it got flipped.
I've attached pics.
I've got another shoot in 2 days and need to try to sort this out and I'm trying not to panic.
It seems like to me that not the camera itself but the left and right movement axis has rotated 180.
I'm gonna remove the gimbal tomorrow and get to investigate just wanted to see if anyone had input?
I went to try to do a gimbal calibration but the menu is not in my app.
Forgot to mention, the camera still works!
Help.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190221_231446.jpg
    IMG_20190221_231446.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20190221_231458.jpg
    IMG_20190221_231458.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 182
@Thunderdrones
Thunder has repaired this issue and I think he mentioned that sometimes if you are really lucky the camera can be rotated back into place. Other times you are screwed.
I would not do anything to try that until he responds with the technique or some wisdom. I tagged him so he will notified.

Hold tight...

@Thunderdrones
Thunder has repaired this issue and I think he mentioned that sometimes if you are really lucky the camera can be rotated back into place. Other times you are screwed.
I would not do anything to try that until he responds with the technique or some wisdom. I tagged him so he will notified.

Hold tight...
Thank
You
So
Much
!!!
I am standing by until further notice..

PS
I just replaced the gimbal 2 months ago so I'd really really really like to try to flip this sucker back around and get the camera facing forward again!

Last edited:
Thank you for mentioning me @BD0G

OP, This seems to be the biggest problem with the M2Z gimbal. If the gimbal takes a hit, it will get thrown off its alignment. Sometimes you can realign it by rotating it back into line, and other times you have to strip the motor assembly all the way down and reset the position of the pitch motor. Most times, once it has been hit, the gimbal motor assembly is a goner because it can never find center again.

The only real way to tell is to do what you are doing. You can try to reset it, and hope it can find center again..

Reactions: BD0G
Thank you for mentioning me @BD0G

OP, This seems to be the biggest problem with the M2Z gimbal. If the gimbal takes a hit, it will get thrown off its alignment. Sometimes you can realign it by rotating it back into line, and other times you have to strip the motor assembly all the way down and reset the position of the pitch motor. Most times, once it has been hit, the gimbal motor assembly is a goner because it can never find center again.

The only real way to tell is to do what you are doing. You can try to reset it, and hope it can find center again..

The part I need to rotate back..
Not the actual camera that moves up and down but rather the other piece that moves left and right?
At some point will I have to use force?
Any info is appreciated.
I'll will begin by removing the gimbal in the morning and visually inspect I guess..

The part I need to rotate back..
Not the actual camera that moves up and down but rather the other piece that moves left and right?
At some point will I have to use force?
Any info is appreciated.
I'll will begin by removing the gimbal in the morning and visually inspect I guess..

Yes the part that moves up and down. You might needs to use force.

Yes the part that moves up and down. You might needs to use force.
Sorry to ask again..
Ok so I've got the gimbal removed from the AC.
Can I disassemble the gimbal more? Or at this point do I just force the camera down and forward and pray for the best??

Force it up and towards you.
When I try up and towards it's very very secure and doesn't budge but when I try down and towards it feels like there's a tiny bit of give..
Is it possible it flipped the other way?
Before I use excessive force I wanna be sure..

Perhaps pictures with current orientation are in order. What you see as up and towards may be back and away. Vice Versa

Perhaps pictures with current orientation are in order. What you see as up and towards may be back and away. Vice Versa

Attached.
When moving the camera down it seems to go below the horizontal 0 a few degrees.
When moving up it is firm and straight pointing up.
Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20190222_122829.jpg
    IMG_20190222_122829.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20190222_122847.jpg
    IMG_20190222_122847.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20190222_122843.jpg
    IMG_20190222_122843.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20190222_122902.jpg
    IMG_20190222_122902.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_20190222_122849.jpg
    IMG_20190222_122849.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 126
I FIXED IT!!!
I found a fix on YouTube!!!
Basically you can wedge the joint that connects the cameras to the axis and then it can be rotated back around!!
EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECTLY NOW!!
I've contacted the YouTube poster of the video and will be sending him a donation.
THE REVERSED CAMERA CAN BE FIXED FAIRLY EASILY!!
Thank you for everyone's help and support.

Now.. for the link..

Attachments

• IMG_20190222_201143.jpg
    IMG_20190222_201143.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
That video made it look so easy! Super stoked for you! Nice to be able to fix it yourself and now you know if it happens again how to fix the issue!

Thanks for uploading the link to the video as I have heard of this issue a few times in the past and it will help others.

Reactions: gershee
Eeesh look at that thumb nail....o_O Wonder what thats used for:D

Reactions: HVYMTL
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven