DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CRAZY - FLYING in Narrow Canyon With Waterfalls

I had a chance to took a look at the video. Looks pretty good. A few quick tips is that you should consider using parts of the clips that have smooth motion, where you shift camera positions for example, leave those out of the video. If you have a clip that you really like but you have that sudden camera movement, cut it, and put another clip or two between them cut to the beat of the music. Experiment (and don't be afraid) to mix up how you cut the video. The process is non-destructive, so you can always rework the video if you end up with something you don't like.

This is an example of a excellent format that I think we all would aspire to:

a) notice how he doesn't hold on to any clip for too long, and also cuts it to the music.
b) He also added sound effects to his video for things like the ocean, this was all added in Post (the editing process)
c) all of his clips are fluid motion with no quick changes in direction, all motion is subtle and smooth
d) he has a knack for telling a story. Notice how he tends to start up close to a subject, then show another shot further away so you can get some contact of what your looking at
e) This guy also tends to add b-roll like him driving to the location, to fill in the video and make it more interesting, this is part of his story.

I would say, this is one of the better/if not best channels for imitating as he does a really solid job. The hardest part of editing is cutting out stuff, and as you can tell from my latest work, I left too much in it. Its amazing how as the person who filmed and edited the footage, you feel like you have to leave more in the video than other people. Use the work of Man And Drone as a benchmark to help you get over the fear of cutting too much, and seeing ahead of time the type of shots you need to frame your story. Once you have that, you will develop your own style and grown as an artist.

Enjoy the Hobby/Art!
Thanks for taking the time to view the video and for the tips

Hey, that's my Video!
Thanks for the feedback! I can agree its a long video... thank you for your honestly.
I should have broken that up into three sections as that was three different locations, normally I try to keep them shorter and at the 3 min mark.

Thank you for watching!

I'm new to MavicPilots, but have been hanging out in the InspirePilots forum for over a year, and the YuneecPilots one for a few years before I switched over the DJI. Lots of activity on this forum compared to the other ones, looking forward to being here.

I loved your video, thanks for sharing that. Loved the shot when you were inside the crevice...dang. There is another discussion this week about national parks, not disturbing the animals. You seemed to be fairly close to that bear and he didn't even give you a look...not too disturbed to me, ha! Thanks again for posting!

Reactions: drone_video
I loved your video, thanks for sharing that. Loved the shot when you were inside the crevice...dang. There is another discussion this week about national parks, not disturbing the animals. You seemed to be fairly close to that bear and he didn't even give you a look...not too disturbed to me, ha! Thanks again for posting!

Thanks for the compliments. Being challenged when flying is good! keeps the skills sharp! The mavic is a great platform for this, it is very predicable in flight and stable, makes for a great combination.

The bear video had a 300% zoom on it btw. The biggest concern with bears is them getting comfortable with humans, and then coming into populated places. They then have to relocate them, and if they come back they seem to put them down. So, better to let them do their own thing. We have issues with tourists stopping on the side of the road and walking up to the and giving them food! which is so crazy I cant believe you have to tell people that's not smart. Its so bad they have RCMP out patrolling and giving out fines. I have lived here my whole life and never been anywhere near that close, its not worth it.

I have , probably a dumb question. But as someone who is placing an order for a Mavic and having zero drone experience, I will ask it!

The research I have done the last 6-8 weeks seems to say that trees interfere with the reception and is a dangerous fly, so is this video taken with the drone in site or was the OP up and away somewhere?
As long as you top the trees is the reception o.k?

Its not a dumb question at all!
First off, it is true that objects between you and the drone will either reflect or absorb the RF control and video signals. That will vary based on what it is. in the Forest the trees do absorb the signals, but keep in mind that depending on how dense those trees are the absorption will reduce the signal and at some point will drop off. But in this case, the drone was always in line of sight. In Canada we cant fly more than 500 meters away, and we always have to have VLOS. There of course is the odd tree or two between you and the drone, and while that degrades the signal it not enough at the distance your flying to be an issue.

The mavic has a fantastic transmitter. If this was the Mavic Air for example, it would suffer more in this area. This is one of the reason why people do these "distance" tests and want to know how far away it will fly, its because its a simple to understand way of how strong the transmitter is also.

I have flown both the Mavic and the Inspire within forest areas and between trees with no issues. But it also depends on what kind of trees and again how faw away from you. In some forests the trees have a canopy, but the ground level is clear and flying between the tree trunks is more than possible. When I do that, I walk behind the drone also.

With all of this in mind, the GPS signal is VERY easy to be blocked. so a tree canopy can block that, if you cant fly in ATTI mode, don't fly between the trees as that is a crash waiting to happen.

Reactions: raymo and ksmusa
I have , probably a dumb question. But as someone who is placing an order for a Mavic and having zero drone experience, I will ask it!

The research I have done the last 6-8 weeks seems to say that trees interfere with the reception and is a dangerous fly, so is this video taken with the drone in site or was the OP up and away somewhere?
As long as you top the trees is the reception o.k?
Ity depends on which mavic. The air is more susceptible that the Pro.

Reactions: ksmusa
About the midway point this guy takes the mavic in a narrow opening where the water falls carved out the mountain about 8 feet wide. Flying in the mist from the falls!!!

Crazy water would not of gave that back if it crashed.

Beautiful place too!! I've been there myself.

Great job....amazing piloting!!

Very cool video I love having a drone being able to see things we never could see before I just realized the other day how to add music and make a mini movie out of the videos I will have to fiddle around some more with this feature

Some really amazing footage but yes the editing needs work. Well done. I’m not sure if the music fits the majestic scenery but that’s only my (most probably ridiculous) opinion.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S