DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy gimbal

MrBigbe

Reactions
Anyone else ever have what seems to be a gimbal malfunction while flying. Is it just the gimbal resetting after the catche? is full

I believe so. Mine did it twice and I reset gimbal and has been good since.

Same here. Thought I had a bird strike in mid flight. Happened a couple times at different sites. I did have a filter on each time it went nutz so I don't know if that is an issue. Re-calibrated the gimbal and no problems since. Not sure if calibrating with a filter on is right or wrong but that's what I did last time. I did cut off that yellow plastic tab as I thought it was causing it to hang up.

Anyone else ever have what seems to be a gimbal malfunction while flying. Is it just the gimbal resetting after the catche? is full

8 months now and no never had any wobbling gimbal, front sensor is scratched by cleaning with a simple ear swab, can not use sensors now so tell all be very carefull when cleaning

Same here. Thought I had a bird strike in mid flight. Happened a couple times at different sites. I did have a filter on each time it went nutz so I don't know if that is an issue. Re-calibrated the gimbal and no problems since. Not sure if calibrating with a filter on is right or wrong but that's what I did last time. I did cut off that yellow plastic tab as I thought it was causing it to hang up.
That's funny cause I thought an eagle had got me. And was freaked out cause I was a half mile away from it over a river

I was filming and seriously thought someone threw something at me. I fkewbit back and inspected thoroughly for damage.
It was very nerve racking!

Used to get it on 85% of my flights with one of my Mavics. Not always related to the cache being full. Sometimes it'd happed within a minute.

I had this on my second flight whilst about 1/2 miles out over the sea. As the camera re-centred it looked like the drone was in free-fall and my heart sank [emoji26]

I’ve been paranoid about flying it anywhere not over solid land since but may give the gimbal recalibration a go. Not sure if it’s related but I think I did accidentally turn it on with the gimbal clamp still in place at one point so this may have affected it.

Between that and the camera feed cutting out every couple of mins (turns out the iPhone 7+ has to be in airplane mode to prevent this) I had a very nervous couple of first flights. Still getting used to everything and still very much enjoying it so I guess it’s just a case of trusting it!

I just had that happen to mine as well... Flying along fine and all of a sudden it looks like the Mavic is free falling through the air. I thought my motors had quit. Does it 3 or 4 times, then seems to reset itself and work fine. Saved video to the SD card cuts out right before it happens so nothing to show DJI. Has anyone tried contacting DJI about this? I hope this isn't a new "feature.." ;)

I just had that happen to mine as well... Flying along fine and all of a sudden it looks like the Mavic is free falling through the air. I thought my motors had quit. Does it 3 or 4 times, then seems to reset itself and work fine. Saved video to the SD card cuts out right before it happens so nothing to show DJI. Has anyone tried contacting DJI about this? I hope this isn't a new "feature.." ;)

I contacted them back in September. Said they were aware of the issue and had no fix at the time. Doubt they have a fix for it yet. Some say a flat ribbon cable change may help.

I had this happening. I fixed it by using a 32gb sdcard. Also make sure you're using the same firmware for AC and RC.

Had crazy gimbal nearly every flight with Pro platinum, started using filter on cam and it totally went away. Could it be a balance/resonance issue due to gimbal motor tuning that the extra mass of the filter helps stabilize?

I just took mine out this past weekend on a road trip. Did 39 flights for a total of 93.2 miles and just over 6hrs of video recording. I've had this issue for close to 2 years now. Doesn't matter if I calibrate my gimbal before every flight, whether I'm running a filter or not, whether it's windy or calm, light or dark, it still does it. The first time it did that to me I was flying in low light and it freaked me out. This past weekend I'd say it probably happened on 30% of my flights. I just let it hover until it's done doing it's thing and then I keep flying. It does seem like the gimbal might have a slight lean to it so that the horizon doesn't look level but I was in mountain terrain the whole time so it may have just been the terrain. It's annoying but I've stopped worrying about it.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCholdings