DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy Neighbor and my Drone

I'm so lucky to have nice neighbours at our lake. A few years ago I did an aerial video showing the autumn foliage around the lake and sent the link to the president of our lake association. He forwarded the link to everybody else. I received plenty of appreciative compliments from people saying they'd never seen their properties from that perspective. So now everyone knows it's me who occasionally flies a drone around the lake.

Here's a little video I did of some neighbours enjoying skating on the lake on one of the rare days when there was smooth ice with no snow on the lake. At 58 seconds in you can see Pierre pointing with his arm saying, "Oh that's just Zbip57 flying his drone, he lives over there in that house." Pierre has subscribed to my channel, so he sees every video I post to YouTube. He is a musician and has sent me several original guitar compositions for me to use in my videos. He passed the link of the video on to his visiting skating friends. They sent me a nice email thanking me for making the video. Their kids really enjoyed seeing it.

It's so refreshing that my neighbours and friends don't automatically accuse me of being a pedophile for using a drone to spy on their kids.

I was recently approached by one of my neighbors that lives about 1000 feet away from me just down the road. He came to my front door and told me to stop flying over the top of his house. I don't know this person so I am dealing with a perfect stranger. I just want to mention that we live in the country and there are open fields both in front and back of my house. I usually fly in the front field with no problems. He informs me that I was looking at his kids in their back yard swimming pool at his house. If I don't stop flying over his house he will call the police.
I told him that I have not been do such thing but I would check my flight logs to be sure. I did check my logs and sure enough I had not even once come near his property. I told him that I am flying legally and then asked him to leave. He was quite an aggressive neighbor. My wife says to me that I should go and see him at his door and inform him that I have not flown over the top of his house but I think that I just don't want to get into another war. He never did call the police but I was ready with my flight logs if need be What would you do. Go see the neighbor with the flight logs or leave things alone. Any advice or opinion would be appreciated. Thank You Mr Mint
Were I in your shoes I might be thinking about, first, documenting the date and time as well as what was said and happened as best I could recall including printouts of copies of flight logs and a map of the route the drone traveled if possible. I'd out it all in an envelope for safekeeping.

I'd also consider mailing a copy of the map to my neighbor along with a letter in which I would acknowledge that his concern for his children, family and privacy is admirable while reassuring him I have no interest or intention in violating any of those and that I would be happy to speak with him about any concerns he may have and show him my photo and video capture from the flight in question (if there is any). I might also add that I strive to abide by all applicable laws including FAA regulations and ask that he do the same. I might finish by stating again that the concerns of a good father and husband are entirely understandable while reassuring him you have no interest or intention to act against them in any way.

The most important person/people in a person's life is them / their family; therefore the person you have to be filming is them.

Given he knows his legal rights, and the above, you're in the wrong and he doesn't want to be wrong, nobody does.

I think publishing nice sunsets on FB may aid him realising you couldn't give a fig about his house / children, without the need to directly challenge his authority.

Also interesting that we say you must fly with VLOS, but as soon as we get to this situation we're advising get as far away from yourself as quickly as you can. :)

Reactions: sharkface
I was recently approached by one of my neighbors that lives about 1000 feet away from me just down the road. He came to my front door and told me to stop flying over the top of his house. I don't know this person so I am dealing with a perfect stranger. I just want to mention that we live in the country and there are open fields both in front and back of my house. I usually fly in the front field with no problems. He informs me that I was looking at his kids in their back yard swimming pool at his house. If I don't stop flying over his house he will call the police.
I told him that I have not been do such thing but I would check my flight logs to be sure. I did check my logs and sure enough I had not even once come near his property. I told him that I am flying legally and then asked him to leave. He was quite an aggressive neighbor. My wife says to me that I should go and see him at his door and inform him that I have not flown over the top of his house but I think that I just don't want to get into another war. He never did call the police but I was ready with my flight logs if need be What would you do. Go see the neighbor with the flight logs or leave things alone. Any advice or opinion would be appreciated. Thank You Mr Mint
tell em that could be a government drone that looks a lot like your drone? that he's barking up the wrong tree! then get a restraining order against him ! done deal!

There is nothing worse than having a bad relationship with a neighbor, over anything.
In the main I agree with letting it go but, always be on the lookout for a chance at making it up with him. Perhaps have a Bar-B-Q and invite a few close neighbors, including him. Then take that chance to explain your drone hobby and show him some stunning scenery footage. You never know, it might interest him enough that he will take up the hobby himself, or at least understand where you are coming from, then you'll have an ally instead of an enemy - and neighborhood peace.

It happens the lady next door went on a rant about me flying my drone in my yard by the time i came to the front of the house she was gone so i don't fly from my yard aney more. Just to keep the peace. Good luck and most of all stay safe

I really like the posting above where in bold print he says You can't reason with unreasonable people" This makes good sense to me. I also agree that people sometimes think that when they see a drone they assume that it is dangerous We sure live in a crazy world Any further comments I really value the postings in this thread and appreciated it so much.
Thanks again an look forward to any other comments Mr Mint
Mark Twain wrote

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Regarding the most recent post, I am going to let sleeping dogs lie. I have also decided not to contact the police for the time being For all that |I know he may never show up at my door again. If he does I will deal with the problem at that time. Thanks for the reply and I hope to hear from any other commenters Mr Mint

I am so happy to see that I am not alone when it comes to dealing with the public and drones It is great to see all of the advice and support that I am getting in this forum I really do appreciate all of the postings that have come out of this thread. Thank you so much Any other comments? Mr Mint

If yer not spying then tell him to go f@#& himself

Reactions: A.O.
I guess in the most recent posting I would have to agree with you but I don't like to make matters worse than what they really are. If he appears at my door again I will call the police and deal with it at that time You sure are to the point Thanks for the posting Any other comments Mr Mint

It's MY business and it's my decision to make. Since I have no interest in having issues with neighbors who might misunderstand what I'm doing, I prefer to be transparent and attempt put put them at ease. If you prefer to be confrontational with your neighbors - that's your decision and is fine with me. Good luck!
It IS your business and yes you can do what you wish. I was not the one being confrontational , it was his neighbor, and I would not cow tow to him at all, I'd just send him on his way...

Video all encounters with him.

With regards to the most recent posting, I have to say that I do not want to be confrontational with this crazy neighbor.. He is the one that came to my front door and dropped a bomb before I had much to say. Things did escalate and then he left. The strangest thing that I found so funny out of all of this experience is when he told me that his has a No FLy Zone around the perimeter of his up to a height of 50 meters. When I tried to correct him on that point he just told me that he doesn't want to hear any legal stuff. I was serious with him but my comments didn't seem to mean any thing to him. Just to say the least life goes on and I still continue to fly legally. Thanks for the comments and any other comments are greatly appreciated. Thank You Mr Mint

lol I might go orbit his home at 51 meters altitude for an entire battery. ;)

It is really hard to say how to deal with this. Maybe some video from your area on a tablet could put him at ease if you run into him around town or some other public place. The folks owning their neighborhood Facebook groups have made me smile. Great ideas in this thread for a problem I've never had. Your wife should be posting pics and vids at all her friends. You too!

Like the other guy from Miami said, everyone has guns here in our area. I keep a pump shotgun full of rubber buckshot by my front door so I would be way more aggressive with someone banging on my door than someone in a awesome smaller town where all your neighbors are friendly, know each other and aren't under constant assault by criminals.

It's MY business and it's my decision to make. Since I have no interest in having issues with neighbors who might misunderstand what I'm doing, I prefer to be transparent and attempt put put them at ease. If you prefer to be confrontational with your neighbors - that's your decision and is fine with me. Good luck!

I absolutely agree. I fought with an ahole neighbor for 10 years and it wasn't fun. If it can be avoided it should be. In my case it was unavoidable because the dude was seriously off his rocker. I do like the idea of getting wide neighborhood support by flooding local FB groups and Nextdoor forums with videos and pics of sunsets and other cool drone stuff.

Reactions: flightrisk
I’ve experiencing a similar situation where 2 of my neighbors across the street are building retaining walls without permits. The other day we watched 6 big flatbed truckloads of gravel being delivered to one of the houses and I wondered what they were doing so I put my drone up and got up high enough ((200’)to where they couldn’t hear my drone and zoomed in on them building an illegal retaining wall. I was still over my house (not theirs) and got my questions answered and came back down. A few days later a neighbor (of the retaining wall people) heard that someone with a drone was flying at window level of the houses that are building retaining walls trying to spy on them. The neighbor also said, “ you know Joe has a drone, it’s probably him (that’s me). The thing most non-drone owners don’t know or understand is that we have pilot records that show our height, location,gps coordinates etc. you already know that because you looked at your flight records.

Here’s where our stories parallel:
In my case, my retaining wall neighbors don’t want me to know what they’re doing because there was a landslide about a block away putting many homes in danger of collapsing. FEMA is spending over a million dollars to fix the collapsed hillside a block away. My neighbors are digging and building walls for fear there houses might collapse but the work they are doing might actually cause a collapse and they are being very secretive about it.

So what’s happening with me is my retaining wall neighbors are creating a “story” that I am peeking through their windows so that I will stop videoing their illegal building but they don’t realize that I have pilot records just like you with your neighbors. I wonder if your neighbors are doing something illegal as well and think you have some footage of it? So they have to make up a story about you peeking at their kids to scare you away? In my case if my neighbors try to seek legal action I am ready to sue the **** out of them because I have pilot records that can’t be altered on my (or any)drone. And just for a side note. If I were ever “going “ to peek through anybody’s windows (which I never have and never will)…it wouldn’t be there’s! So the takeaway is that it’s possible your neighbors are doing some illegal building or something and don’t want your drone in the air because you might uncover something they are doing. If they are harassing you, you might be able get a restraining order if he keeps pounding on your door and accusing you of something you aren’t doing.

Reactions: SkittleBob
I'm thinking call the police. I would call the local police, tell them of the aggressive neighbor and offer to show them my registration and logs. In firearms self-defense, it is well known that the first contact is usually seen as the "victim." This kind of problem also comes up with paragliders. Prevention is worth a pound of cure. Then, I would ask if there was someone that trains or updates the force. I would ask them if they could inform officers of the regulations (or lack thereof,) regarding UASs. Is there a positive story that the local newspaper could run, explaining drone rules? Here, a missing senior was found by a police drone. Good luck. Many of us have been or will be in a position of being confronted.

I'm editing after reading another reply. I agree that posting nice drone footage to public media could help, as well.

Last edited:
I am still under the opinion several of you need to do what I did. So far I have demonstrated my drone to 4 of our officers and one has even flown it. I have shown them flight logs etc and they have been very interested along with the super video of what I have. Next demo will be to the forest service as I have flown mine out from the house looking at smoke up the creek wondering what was burning.

Reactions: JackL
Read through most of this thread. My take, as a fellow Ontarian, should this individual return, tell them to please go ahead and call the Police and please get off my property. So long as you were flying legally, there is no problem. It's your word against theirs. Flight logs are pretty much useless, as someone else pointed out.

My neighbours know me and that I fly my drone. They also know I have no interest in taking photos of them or their property. I've talked to them about my projects and invited them to view my videos on YouTube. One neighbour even asked me to take some shots of their backyard and house. I obliged.

So far I've not had to deal with any hostility. Unfortunately there are jerks everywhere.

Reactions: JackL
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Britt