DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Creating "depth effect" in photos and videos?

PalmettoAerial

Reactions
This weekend I spent a lot of time in the mountains shooting videos and photos with my mavic… What is the best way to really bring out the scale and depth of objects like mountains and valleys?

I'm not really sure how to best describe it… But what comes to mind is in the past I would see something really impressive (such as a mountain ridge ) and take photo with my iPhone, only to be completely underwhelmed when I see it on my phone

This weekend I spent a lot of time in the mountains shooting videos and photos with my mavic… What is the best way to really bring out the scale and depth of objects like mountains and valleys?

I'm not really sure how to best describe it… But what comes to mind is in the past I would see something really impressive (such as a mountain ridge ) and take photo with my iPhone, only to be completely underwhelmed when I see it on my phone
I'm not sure I really have a answer or response to this but I know what you're saying and especially with the mavic however in one regard a lot of the pictures I do capture of mountains and rivers and things like that seem to pop out somewhat more with that camera however it does not match up with like say a really good DSLR because you don't have some of those effects which I like to use anyway. I believe part of it is the zoom limitation that is imposed on that camera I wish it was definitely more in-depth than 2X.

Reactions: PalmettoAerial
Many times that x-factor comes down to boosting the contrast and color grading the image or video in post (post production in whatever editing software you use). Try increasing the contrast and boosting the saturation, for starters.

On stills you want to choose a subject and isolate it by blurring the background - which you can't do with a camera such as the Mavic's one unless you blur things artificially in post.

On video best is to show depth by doing slow moves next to a close subject, the background will be mostly stationary and the subject will move in front.

On stills you want to choose a subject and isolate it by blurring the background - which you can't do with a camera such as the Mavic's one unless you blur things artificially in post.

On video best is to show depth by doing slow moves next to a close subject, the background will be mostly stationary and the subject will move in front.
I'm guessing that's because the mavic camera has a fixed aperture?

I'm guessing that's because the mavic camera has a fixed aperture?

Not quite, the aperture is actually quite large but other than aperture you can influence DOF by combination of the size of the sensor, the focal length of the lens and the distance between you, the subject in focus and the background. Given that the Mavic has a tiny sensor, wide lens and generally stays far from subjects (especially in landscape shots) there's no way you will optically achieve bokeh. I actually don't think the variable focus on the Mavic is a beneficial feature, it will more likely cause out of focus shots than achieve anything good..

Last edited:
With fixed aperture you can influence DOF by combination of the size of the sensor, the focal length of the lens and the distance between you, the subject in focus and the background. Given that the Mavic has a tiny sensor, wide lens and generally stays far from subjects (especially in landscape shots) there's no way you will optically achieve bokeh. I actually don't think the variable focus on the Mavic is a beneficial feature, it will more likely cause out of focus shots that achieve anything good..
Yes I totally get that point and especially since the autofocus is kind of on the flaky side considering you need to tap the screen to really make sure it is in effect as you are shooting.

It's a mix of the different characteristics as mentioned above. You can actually have some background blur with the camera, but that requires you to be at impractical flying distances from your subject. If you hold it in your hand it'll work, but your subject if living resp. the pilot if not will not feel comfortable with props spinning 20cm away from the subject.

Reactions: Oconnb910
Thanks for the responses! I wasn't ragging on the mavic or any shortcomings ... just trying to get a better understanding of how to shoot better videos and stills.

I haven't used a P4P, but know that it has a larger sensor and is a more powerful camera in general, would it inheriently get better "depth" ... or will the settings and environment all play into the shot?

Ive been a professional landscape photographer for close to 40 years, so at the risk of overwhelming you with details, I'll give it a shot.

The camera on the Mavic is quite capable of providing depth that you refer to, but depth in a still is different from depth in a video, or I should say it can be achieved in different manners.

First, in a photo you can do the same thing with the Mavic camera as you can do with a DSLR, depending on the effect you seek. One method is focusing on a close foreground object and having the background out of focus and is fairly easy with the Mavic as it has a wide open fixed aperture, which lends itself to narrower DOF.

The other method requires getting very close to foreground objects, having them AND the background objects in sharp focus and letting their relative size indicate depth. The Mavic camera is not so good using this method, for the reason that due to its fixed wide open aperture, greater DOF is harder to achieve, AND with drones, we don't normally shoot that way, as our foregrounds and backgrounds tend to be relatively farther away, out of necessity.

So that second method is somewhat of a problem for stills using the Mavic but not out of the question if done correctly.

On the other hand, for video we have the advantage of smoothly introducing moving foreground objects to achieve a great sense of depth.

I am actually quite impressed with the capabilities built into the Mavic camera, even though some beginners find them to be overly complicating.

I think many of the other posters touched on several of these principals, so I hope I didn't just repeat or confuse the issue, by adding my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubberz
Well there are some techniques to achieve similar results. For example, creating a paralax effect , or a revealing shot those create the sense of depth

Reactions: Kilrah
If I understand you correctly you want to achive feeling of volume and depth in you landscape shots, and not the "effect" of shallow depth of field(blurry background) like in portrait shots.

Try to use shadows, look for how sunlight is falling in different times of day and how it creates shadows in valleys and spaces between the mountains or other objects.

Don't shoot in midday. Especially n the summer.
If light falls direct on your scene, you'll get a flat picture. Find the time of day when light is falling on landscape more from aside and creates shadows.

To gain volume of objects in photography and video shadows are very important because with shadows we perceive volume and depth of the scene.

Try different time of day, mornings and afternoons/evenings.

If shooting video you should look for paralax effect also.

Mavic has quite wide lens FOV, 28mm, so for shooting wide open spaces and getting movement in the frame you have to use object in foreground to make the movement in the frame. Trees, branches, flowers on the meadow, buildings... anything in the foreground because in wide open spaces objects like mountains are too far away to get paralax by moving camera in any direction. Sometimes you just get a one long photo :)

I think you need to look at composition to create more of a 3D feel rather than try to do anything special with the camera.
This mostly means have something in the foreground, and ideally points of interest stretching back into the frame.
The classic foreground might be someone admiring the view or just a patch of flowers, rocks or something.
Google 'mountain scenery' images for striking examples of this.

It's actually harder to do from a drone because everything looks further away if you are up high.
You still have an amazing ability to get the camera to places which would otherwise be almost impossible though.

I haven't used a P4P, but know that it has a larger sensor and is a more powerful camera in general, would it inheriently get better "depth" ... or will the settings and environment all play into the shot?
It won't change a thing. The P4P has a slightly larger sensor, but also has a wider angle lens that will pretty much compensate.

Basically the wide angle view of all drone cams excludes the DOF effects out of the bat. Just forget about them and find other techniques as mentioned there.

There's one slight exception, if you take an X5 on an Inspire with a long lens mounted you can get DoF effects, but then you also need a 3-people crew to handle it becasue since focus becomes critical you basically need a dedicated focus puller.

Thank you all for the information here. All very good pointers and really insightful. I'm sure it all boils down to me just becoming better with the drone and camera but I was just curious How each of you get this effect. Not that my mavic is bad. But I see some videos and I'm like WOW.

I will say that in the very short time I have had the drone, I have noticed that my videos from a lower altitude seem to create more of this dramatic affect. I'm not sure why but right out of the gate I was assuming the higher altitude would create more impressive videos.

Recently I have noticed that the opposite seems to be true. If I start the treetops and manipulate the gimbal well elevating the drone that seems to really create more of the effect I was hoping for.

Thank you all for the information here. All very good pointers and really insightful. I'm sure it all boils down to me just becoming better with the drone and camera but I was just curious How each of you get this effect. Not that my mavic is bad. But I see some videos and I'm like WOW.

I will say that in the very short time I have had the drone, I have noticed that my videos from a lower altitude seem to create more of this dramatic affect. I'm not sure why but right out of the gate I was assuming the higher altitude would create more impressive videos.

Recently I have noticed that the opposite seems to be true. If I start the treetops and manipulate the gimbal well elevating the drone that seems to really create more of the effect I was hoping for.
Yep, you'll get it. Good photography/videography skills don't come overnight. Something you can spend a lifetime perfecting... and part of its appeal.

Reactions: crnee
Many times that x-factor comes down to boosting the contrast and color grading the image or video in post (post production in whatever editing software you use). Try increasing the contrast and boosting the saturation, for starters.
I have a question. Lately i have been taking still images with MP from 120 M with the object being the city skyline some 5 or 6 kms away. I noticed my images lack sharpness and look slightly out of focus especially when zooming in on a photo in post. I left a ND 4 filter on and shutter speed was approx 1/350 . Just wondering if the blur is from a too slow shutter speed? wind and vibration from the drone? should i take the ND filter off to increase shutter speed ? or use a CPL filter. I have the camera setting on +1 for sharpness. I am able to sharpen the image in post with photoshop but wish the original photo was sharper. I have noticed when taking photos at much closer range like 20-80Metres the image is sharper and more focused. Am i expecting too much from this little camera or is there something that can improve clarity/sharpness at long distance photos.Is it good to switch to tripod mode when up at 120 M before taking photos.?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan