DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cropped pictures

Daytona500

Reactions
I've cropped some of my photos and then try to get prints made but when I see what the print will look like it seems they crop it more. I wanna get full size prints of my pics as they are after I crop them. does anyone know were i can get this done?

Can you post an example?

Online and offline print houses usually work on a 4:3 aspect ratio. If your image is different they may extend one of the sides to match their standard ratio, which could result in further cropping.

I've cropped some of my photos and then try to get prints made but when I see what the print will look like it seems they crop it more. I wanna get full size prints of my pics as they are after I crop them. does anyone know were i can get this done?
Try Posterjack.

I haven't used the American shop, but I've had a lot of prints made by the Canadian branch and I'm quite happy with them.

Can you post an example?

Online and offline print houses usually work on a 4:3 aspect ratio. If your image is different they may extend one of the sides to match their standard ratio, which could result in further cropping.
in this one they chop off most the water wheel

Attachments

• Littleton,NH.JPG
    Littleton,NH.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
in this one they chop off most the water wheel
Looks like they are basically cropping to keep the picture centred, when what you want is to crop the left and leave the right side untouched.

The solution is to crop it yourself before sending it off to be printed. Most image editors let you crop to a specified aspect ration, so figure out what that is for the size of print you want and crop to that.

That picture looks like it is 2:1, so unless you are making a print with that aspect ratio (Posterjack can do that) then you will have to crop yourself.

Reactions: Kilrah
I did crop it this is the way I want the picture printed
Then you need to send it to a print shop that can print 2:1 pictures, and select that option.

Try creating an account at Posterjack and uploading it there. There is an option to crop and reposition the photo and it shows you a preview of what the picture will look like printed.

Other print shops may also do the same, but I know the Canadian Posterjack can handle this without a problem.

1) On borderless prints there's always a little "overscan" because it's not possible to perfectly align to the edge of the paper
2) You have to supply an image that has the correct aspect ratio for the paper size you order

Reactions: maggior
So I guess I'm just screwed. I got all my pictures cropped just as I want them printed and they will all be printed the way the print shops want , That's insane .

Huh?
Photo paper sizes are standard and that's what most places will offer and that you will choose when ordering, so obviously you have to conform to that unless you go to a more high end shop that has more exotic sizes, will manually cut sheets for you, or has a site with a way to specify the layout you want.

So I guess I'm just screwed. I got all my pictures cropped just as I want them printed and they will all be printed the way the print shops want , That's insane .
No. They will be printed the way you send them in, assuming that you've prepped the image properly.

Part of the job of prepping a photo for printing (in addition to appropriate sharpening) is making certain your image fits inside the print area. This might involve adding white space and trimming your print after you get it. Or dealing with a print service that handles custom sizes (which will be more expensive).

When I print at Posterjack and my image isn't precisely the right aspect ration I see a preview and have the option of moving the image around (basically selecting the crop myself). So if I was printing your image on a 2:1 ratio and the image was actually 2.2:1 I would slide it so the waterwheel wasn't cropped (but the trees to the left would be), or before uploading I would resize my canvas in my image editor to 2:1 with a small border above and below the image (and trim it myself after I got it).

Reactions: Kilrah and maggior
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown