DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cruise Line Question

jamba25

Reactions
I'm going on a baltic cruise next week with Norwegian Cruise Line and their policy is not to allow to have a drone on board. I don't plan to fly it while on board, instead when I'm on land. Would they confiscate if I bring it? Does anyone have other experiences taking their bird on a cruise? I don't want to miss this opportunity of taking aerial videos of wonderful countries and had been researching local regulations to make sure my flight is legit. I will also talk to the travel agent to make sure. Thanks for the feedback.

They cant confiscate it, they are not the police! If you dont fly, its only plastic with a battery!

Yes. Pretty sure they scan and check every bag. You would be better contacting the cruise line and getting a process in place before day of boarding (if they will work with you).

Are they checking the bags? Why should they, looking for guns?

Didnt saw your statement that they check all the bags

You agree to this when traveling NCL

"The safety and security of our guests and crew is our number one priority. The following items are prohibited on-board vessels. These items will be confiscated and not transported aboard. When an item is determined to be illegal the appropriate authorities will be informed

• 22. Any remotely controlled or autonomously flying devices, toys or drones"

Did you take it in the end or leave it? I'm off on a cruise to Norway and want to take mine. I can afford to risk trying, I have family nearby who can collect it if they really won't let me take it.

The cruises I went on never checked luggage. They would look through purses and stuff like that, but your actual luggage was mass loaded with everyone elses. There is way too much for them to be looking through it all.

The cruises I went on never checked luggage. They would look through purses and stuff like that, but your actual luggage was mass loaded with everyone elses. There is way too much for them to be looking through it all.
Here in the UK it is, like at airports, all x-rayed

They look through luggage with an x-ray but they’re mostly checking for booze. You’ll most likely get it on board but there’s a chance they will see it in the x-ray when you come back on board from a shore excursion.

If they do take it, they lock it up in the security office and give it back to you when you get off the ship, same as they do with alcohol. Some lines let you check it out to go ashore, others only at the end of the cruise. It’s a liability issue for them with so many people on deck - all it takes is one dummy to do something stupid...

If they ask what it is, you could always just say photography equipment. You would be telling the truth ;)

If they ask what it is, you could always just say photography equipment. You would be telling the truth ;)
Like I said, I'm inclined to take it loaded to the hilt with camera equipment as I will be and if needs be having relatives nearby I can always have someone pick it up. I'll not be stupid with it and well, there's great footage to be had if it works out.

If their policy says no drones onboard, don’t take it. They will catch it on the X-ray machine, and confiscated it until the cruise is over with. Just did a Carnival Cruise, and I was good to go. Just had to fly it off of land only. Just check with your cruise line for all the details.

At the end of the day, it’s their boat and rules and you accept these rules when purchasing your ticket. I would get annoyed at people say they accept rules and then choose to do what they want because it suits them. If I was ship operator, you wouldn’t be getting it back until end of cruise.
Best bet would be to see if you can pre arrange something

I think it is as clear as glass if post #7 is accurate. End of discussion.

You might just consider trying to rent a drone. I was on a Baltic Cruise last year and I suspect most of the larger cities could have rentals. I wouldn’t bother with Russia(St.Petersburg)

You might just consider trying to rent a drone. I was on a Baltic Cruise last year and I suspect most of the larger cities could have rentals. I wouldn’t bother with Russia(St.Petersburg)
Well, Russia as good as bans them - quite a few countries do, Egypt for one where I'd love to go with a drone.

I'm going on a baltic cruise next week with Norwegian Cruise Line and their policy is not to allow to have a drone on board. I don't plan to fly it while on board, instead when I'm on land. Would they confiscate if I bring it? Does anyone have other experiences taking their bird on a cruise? I don't want to miss this opportunity of taking aerial videos of wonderful countries and had been researching local regulations to make sure my flight is legit. I will also talk to the travel agent to make sure. Thanks for the feedback.
Sorry to say, Royal Caribbean has the same policy, drone will be confiscated before boarding ship. And, returned to you when disembarking the ship at the conclusion of voyage, I have planned a months trip, train from Chicago to Sanfrancisco, 10 days in Sanfrancisco, touring by bus. And, then get on a ship to Hawaii for 18 days, cruise line spoiled the entire trip for me. Because, people did not fly the drones responsibly. The
rest of us have to pay. U-tube is filled with video of irresponsible people flying around the ship, looking at people sitting on the balcony's. I asked them to secure the drone on
the ship and give it to me at each port. They, said they do not want to be responsible
for its safe keeping. Have been on a dozen cruses, thinking about this being my last one on any ship. will fly from now on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972