DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CrystalSky lost connection Mid flight!

gphinney

BAMF
Reactions
Never had this happened with my iPad mini 4.

2nd flight with my CrystalSky when I was switching between taking a photo and video 390' above me.
DJI Go4 crashed! I Landed the Mavic Pro Platinum no problem. Then had to reboot the App to get camera view back.
Running latest firmware on everything. I'm sure this has happened to one of you?

Cheers!

Interesting. Haven’t had this happen in 9 mos of using my CS.
Couldn’t you just reboot the CS and continue flying?

Not sure! Just wanted the bird on the ground ASAP.

Everything seemed ok, until I started switching between recording photos to videos and back to photos.

Possibly just needed a restart. Have you flown since? Any recurrence?

If the CS quits you still have control via the standard controller.

Two flights today, no issues.

Reactions: Thomas B
Try clearing the cache in DJI GO4 app. That fixed my issue before

If the CS quits you still have control via the standard controller.
Thank God for that. My CS quits all the time.
GO4/firmware update badly needed.
iPad mini4 is 100% reliable. CS not so much (understatement).
Anyone from DJI listening?

Reactions: MedicFL1
Interesting. Yours quits all the time and mine (7.5 UB) never quits.?
Cable issue, maybe?
Don't think so, I use the dedicated DJI mounting bracket so no real cable involved, the CS just plugs straight into the controller.
I also clear the cache regularly, although I don't see how that would be a problem.
What setup do you have (equipment/software/firmware)? Mine is in my signature below.
GO4 seems to be the main problem. Litchi less so, but both apps crash pretty regularly..
What I've tried doing is force stopping one app in settings while using the other, still no joy.
Uninstalling Litchi does not improve the performance of GO4 at all.
I'm getting to the point where I am losing faith in the CS.

Last edited:
Understood. Using a quality cable in place of the mount would eliminate (or confirm) the mount as the problem.

wow...this happened to me the other evening. definitely got my heart racing.

was flyin around 390' to try to get some sunset photos, this thing takes great pics as you all know. turned around, headed east around 7-800 ft away same alt. got dark enough for the obs snsrs to turn off...no prob.

a minute later the CS disconnected, went black n white, wouldnt let me connect back, even tried a por (power on reset) heart goin pitter patter by
this time.

went to the telemetry on the rc....played around until it started getting closer.
feeling a little better...at least I had a bit of control it. then I PORed the RC. promoted A RTH, but all the connections came back after. SCARY CHIT.

Weird....resetting the RC brought it back to life. Does that mean prob in the RC?....hmmm.....

then again....in my newbieness....maybe I missed the section on relinking the RC to the cs, without a POR to it

wow...this happened to me the other evening. definitely got my heart racing.

was flyin around 390' to try to get some sunset photos, this thing takes great pics as you all know. turned around, headed east around 7-800 ft away same alt. got dark enough for the obs snsrs to turn off...no prob.

a minute later the CS disconnected, went black n white, wouldnt let me connect back, even tried a por (power on reset) heart goin pitter patter by
this time.

went to the telemetry on the rc....played around until it started getting closer.
feeling a little better...at least I had a bit of control it. then I PORed the RC. promoted A RTH, but all the connections came back after. SCARY CHIT.

Weird....resetting the RC brought it back to life. Does that mean prob in the RC?....hmmm.....

then again....in my newbieness....maybe I missed the section on relinking the RC to the cs, without a POR to it
What equipment do you have?

What equipment do you have?

I have .....

mavic pro. Got it a coupla months ago. used +/- a few dozen flights
crystalsky 7 UB. Got it a few weeks ago. Used it maybe a dozen times. Never had the disconnect until a few evenings ago.
mavic mount

dji_crystalsky_mounting_bracket_for_1493053604_1333925.jpg (stock photo)

Definitely not a lot of flight time, but have done enough research in the threads to know
one of the most important thing when this sort of thing happens....Dont Panic!

Reactions: Steady Eddie
Dont Panic!
Yup, that's lesson #1. Always keep a cool head.
Lots of people it seems like to position the monitor/tablet above the controller display, but I prefer to see both displays. In the case of the app or monitor(CS) quitting, it's reassuring to have the RC display visible for basic telemetry and to initiate a safe RTH.
I've just restored my CS to latest factory firmware with latest (4.3.16) GO4. I'm also using a different mount system and cable.
Maybe this will help with my issues.
Keep us posted on any further CS problems, and good luck!

thank eddie...you too!

quick question for you, and the rest... when you reset just the
CS, does it reconnect to the RC ok?
I my experience, doing a reset of the CS ie. cycling the power, will re-connect to the RC. I would always prefer to land and shut everything down and restart.
The CS quitting in mid flight is just not a happy experience.

Last edited:
I started getting disconnects with my CS monitor. Clearing the cache and reset to factory default fixed the issue

Reactions: WobblingWillie
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121