DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Curious about interference sensitivity

vashon100

Reactions
Still waiting for my Mavic. Been reading extensively here and other forums about all aspects, but I'm specifically interested in knowing from people with other GPS/compass quads whether they have found the Mavic to be more sensitive or less sensitive to interference.

Living in a residential area and probably doing initial minor flights at school fields, there will of course be the typical power lines, wifi, chain link fences, baseball backstops. I have a Hubsan that typically does ok in those areas (an occasional re-compassing needed - even though each flight needs a compass calibration).

How has it handled interference compared to other GPS quads you have? Thanks.

Last edited:
You will be fine.
I am in interference hell in many spots in NYC, but even here you can easily find areas where it is not a problem.

Thanks BF. Are there others that can share their experience vs other GPS quads?

Fly with my Mavic 2 weeks and before yesterday it was very good.
Yesterday I wanted to try a fly near my house and when I fly up approx. for 30m I got instantly connection lost. So I couldn't to reconnect to it at all.
Mavic fly back by its own without no problems. When it landed I reconnected and get one more try. At that time I fly only 1-2m far away from me and I got several re-connections and signal losts.
So I think it was interference from a lot of wi-fi in every apartment etc.
But yes, it is strange feeling when you can't do nothing and just looking what will be.
After that I came to other open area and everything was fine. So if you see message - strong interferences than better to chose other spot where to fly from :)

Yesterday I wanted to try a fly near my house and when I fly up approx. for 30m I got instantly connection lost. So I couldn't to reconnect to it at all.
Mavic fly back by its own without no problems. When it landed I reconnected and get one more try. At that time I fly only 1-2m far away from me and I got several re-connections and signal losts.
But yes, it is strange feeling when you can't do nothing and just looking what will be.
After that I came to other open area and everything was fine. So if you see message - strong interferences than better to chose other spot where to fly from :)
Hi , newbie here still waiting for my mavic. I have a few questions.

So you got a notification about strong interference before you take off?

It could be possible to take of from a spot that is interference free, but while you are flying you get into an area with a lot of WiFis, in that case what you do? Do you believe is it easy to loose connection or the signal indication will let you know in advance?

Thanks Andrejs. That's kind of what I was concerned with. Losing FPV is one thing, but losing connection is scary, in spite of the RTH feature. I'm guessing you got some screen warnings about strong interference? By any chance do you own any other quads that you've flown in that area and have they lost signal?

No I didn't fly with other drones in that area.
I wanted to make a shots of roof structure to see some damages etc. because it is needed some fixes and some guys didn't want to go for it, but I didn't have access to roof etc. so this is other story.
From longest side of the house there are some lines coming from one house to other and there are flat places from where I could fly up. From shortest line of house there no any lines, but there not so good to fly from because of grass etc.
So here I made my mistake. I wanted to fly from flat surface (where I have lines above) and than fly to shortest part of house and than up. When I started flying up I got signal lost. So its started to fly back and thanks that it fly little bit further. When it started to fly down it was approx. 1m far away from line.
So I didn't make such mistake any more :) Fly only from there where you have clear sky =)

About messages. Honestly I not remember. Sometimes when you open app and tap go to fly you got several messages (for example No gps, ATTI mode because you didn't have needed amount of satellites when you turned on) and than they dissapear. Maybe there was a message, but now I cant see it in logs.
I think it can be only interference =)

I wrote to DJI online support about it and only one question - did I made all calibrations :D It is funny. For all problems they have only one answer - make calibration.

So here is a healthydrones report about that short flight.
upload_2016-12-13_10-54-23.png
After "I" message I got connection lost and because no any logs I have (because this logs what coming from DJI Go app and if didn't have connection you didn't have any logs).
After that I made second try and have such situation for 1m far away:
upload_2016-12-13_10-56-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-13_10-53-58.png
    upload_2016-12-13_10-53-58.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 11
And also want to say.
Not forget to turn off our phone Wi-Fi if you fly near your house or where phone can automatically connects to Wi-Fi. It makes interference with Remote Controller.
Or maybe just batter to turn off Wi-Fi all the time when you fly Mavic.
I should do new Tasker task for that :)

Interesting log. Is the "Data loss - downlink data connection" the video signal?

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82