DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Current England lockdown and flying status?

Malcx

Reactions
I couldn't find any other thread on this, I'm just wondering what the general consensus is on recreational flying in England under our current lockdown state (as of 29th March)?

I've been on the side of caution through the last year, but as far as I can tell now - walking to a launch spot and as long as I maintain social distancing and follow all the usual drone regs it would be permitted?

What are other people in England thinking / doing this week?

Reactions: Fizzbang and Macmad
Extract BFMA eMail dated 6-Mar-2021:
From Monday 8th March, outdoor recreation (and therefore model aircraft flying) is permitted in public outdoor places, either alone, with members of your household or with one other person. A public outdoor place for the purposes of the regulations is a public outdoor place where no payment is required by any member of the public to access.
Sorry but you've missed 21 days ;)
Fly Safe -Stay Safe, Follow the Drone Code etc.

since Saturday 27th here in Wales the stay local rule has finished ,and that means i can now go further afield to fly but i still have to stay within Wales and people from the rest of the UK have to stay out of Wales for now plus we can go to a holiday chalet thats self catering as long as we are related

Reactions: Macmad and Malcx
It's been a tough few months in the UK, having not flown my MP2 for about 4 months I think I need a refresher :oops:.
Am booked on a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in September and plan on driving down to the Sotogrande, with many flying opportunities at some lovely mountain retreats on route, so will need to get flying again soon.

I think it's ok to fly in the UK now providing you're registered, display the Operator ID on the Drone and keep to the rules below 400ft for you drone type. I have to say though that I am still unsure about my local rules in public parks and the council byelaws. Seems they are still hostile and do not know the new EASA rules and just say there is a blanket ban on all drones, in or above their parks. Members of the public may also now be out in force as the weather is good and they can legally leave their homes from last Monday. This may make it difficult to find places not crowded and to finding confrontational members of the Public who hate drones throwing abuse at you. Only trial and error will see. Weather good until the weekend here in the UK... let's all go fly. :)

One thought
It's been a tough few months in the UK, having not flown my MP2 for about 4 months I think I need a refresher :oops:.
Am booked on a ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in September and plan on driving down to the Sotogrande, with many flying opportunities at some lovely mountain retreats on route, so will need to get flying again soon.
I just wanted to check with you about permissions to fly in EU countries. Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, while the EASA rules apply in the UK and the EU, each country requires you to register and/or pass a test and/or pay a fee which may be different from country to country. In your experience what is the situation for Spain ?

Reactions: Macmad
One thought

I just wanted to check with you about permissions to fly in EU countries. Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it, while the EASA rules apply in the UK and the EU, each country requires you to register and/or pass a test and/or pay a fee which may be different from country to country. In your experience what is the situation for Spain ?
You raise a valid point, but my interpretation is that the EASA rules apply and are adopted by the UK, and likewise the European Union.
I have the A2cofC accreditation and previously looked at getting registered in the EU like I did in the US,
But didn't think this was necessary, hopefully someone can provide some helpful information on the legal requirements, I found the link below.

I think it's ok to fly in the UK now providing you're registered, display the Operator ID on the Drone and keep to the rules below 400ft for you drone type. I have to say though that I am still unsure about my local rules in public parks and the council byelaws. Seems they are still hostile and do not know the new EASA rules and just say there is a blanket ban on all drones, in or above their parks. Members of the public may also now be out in force as the weather is good and they can legally leave their homes from last Monday. This may make it difficult to find places not crowded and to finding confrontational members of the Public who hate drones throwing abuse at you. Only trial and error will see. Weather good until the weekend here in the UK... let's all go fly. :)
just seen this thread.. I agree entirely. Many sites say blanket statements that i'm suspicious about but it still puts me off.

I went to a couple of places nearby (Sutton Park Birmingham being one of them) The place was heaving with people who would not normally go to a park for a walk.. I know this from previously as a plain photographer (they are looked at suspiciously too) i would only go to certain areas with few of the public present and even these areas are packed. It's the freedom (just now) to get out.. Once that (just walking around) becomes boring again for the kids, they will go elsewhere. like theme parks. ??

I'll give it a bit longer, personally.. LOL

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851