DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dad uses Mavic 2 to warn kids about a shark

Gotta admit that footage scared the living poop out of yours truly. Seriously happy OUR Kids weren't in that water.

Also agree on 'Warning Device'. Awesome idea for Lifeguards in affected areas, and not just for Sharks. Swimmers in trouble would benefit from Drone Surveillance.

Great Clip; don't understand dumping on it.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Rgds, NAVMAV

Reactions: Marv and g36pilot
It's a good tool for beach patrol but it needs a warning device attached like one of those air horns that can be remotely activated so swimmers can get out of the water when sharks are approaching.
The Mavic 2 Enterprise does exactly that, it could be fitted with a loud speaker. Not sure how loud it is but from what I understand is you can pre record messages and play them while in the air

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
The Mavic doesn't need an air horn. Presumably, anyone operating the drone doing such a patrol would be right there and could use the air horn at their side.

Sharks do attack people. It doesn't matter that "this is what they do, swim around" and attacks are statistically low. When they're near people like this (especially cruising into shallower waters), taking some extra caution is not hysterical / sensational.

And it's a pro-Drone media story, so that's a win too.

Chris

What an utterly ridiculous non story.

He proved sharks live in the sea. Its not as if anyone didnt know that.

He saw a shark from a drone - great. Thats quite lucky. But no more than that.

Ridiculous, sensationalised non-story for publicity.

Why dont you go swimming in the beach and ill hover my drone above you til i spot a shark near you.

I wont warn you but ill keep filming and hope for the best. The best being the shark attacking you and then maybe you survive just losing your left leg, no worries you still have the right leg.

Then ill post the video here, ill wait and see if i read the same exact comment you first posted here.

Reactions: NAVMAV
In Australia we've been using drones (with paid professional pilots) in addition to regular helicopter shark patrols for some time...

Better if people know if they might be on the menu :)

Reactions: g36pilot
I just came across that story. Scary! Job op for beach patrol!
I have a condo in NSB and a great deal of the beach is a NFZ both as it is close to 2 airports and a turn zone.
Much as I applaud the befit of the shark report I cannot see how the PIC was not breaking Federal rules!!!

I have a condo in NSB and a great deal of the beach is a NFZ both as it is close to 2 airports and a turn zone.
Much as I applaud the befit of the shark report I cannot see how the PIC was not breaking Federal rules!!!
The man just saved his kids from what could have been a potential shark attack (we wouldnt know for sure) and here you are worried about breaking rules and ****. Go and report the guy ffs.

Pansies like this^ pisses me off.

The man just saved his kids from what could have been a potential shark attack (we wouldnt know for sure) and here you are worried about breaking rules and ****. Go and report the guy ffs.

Pansies like this^ pisses me off.
NSB is the “shark bite capital of the USA”
Had you bothered to read my post I started with the comment “much as I applaud”
As a group interacting with the public we must be seen to obey the FAA rules even though they may appear stupid to some members, the FAA always has the final word!

Yes that would be a good idea, however if you read the original article it stated that when he got HOME he reviewed the Footage and saw the Shark... he did NOT warn or advise anyone
The question should be are drones useful to lifeguards/ beach patrol and the answer is yes, but they can spot sharks only in very calm and relatively clear water this is not typical at NSB

Every article I've read or watched says he spotted the shark and warned his family and 2 other kids who were also playing in the water.

It was once he got home that he reviewed the high quality image that's been circulated.

NSB is the “shark bite capital of the USA”
Had you bothered to read my post I started with the comment “much as I applaud”
As a group interacting with the public we must be seen to obey the FAA rules even though they may appear stupid to some members, the FAA always has the final word!

How would i know you were a pansy if i didnt bother reading your first post?

And you might wanna watch the video from this post again. 52secs into it the mom started running to warn the kids to get out of the water.

Im sure youre fun at parties and people miss you the most if you dont show up or leave early. Yep, sure.

So keep wearing that vest of yours whilst walking around town trying to spot others breaking the rules. And dont forget those pens on your chest pocket and a lil note pad and may i suggest a whistle, you’ll never know when you’ll need em.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada