DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Damage—Sent in to DJI. Advice??

Mamczasz

Reactions
Hey guys,

So I was recently in Indonesia at a hostel and long story short I found my Mavic with some pretty severe damage to the front. Almost looks like someone purposefully jammed something into the air intake (behind the gimbal). Pretty bummed about that.

I tried to fly it after I noticed the damage and everything was working fine except the cooling fan. I only had it flying for 2 mins before I noticed the battery temp was reading 40C so I shut it down immediately.

I sent it in to DJI here in Australia to get a quote on fixing it. I expected it to be maybe $200 or so, but they came back with a $650 quote, telling me that I needed to replace the lower core board as well. Does this make sense? Why would that need replacing if it was operating perfectly fine before I sent it in? Shouldn’t they just be able to replace the fan, the lower heat sink, and the outer shell that was damaged?

I sent an e-mail asking for more info and what led them to believe it needed to be replaced but still haven’t heard back from them. The repair quote just said “cooling fan deformed, lower area deformed” that’s all...

I’ll attach some pics.

Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• 1FA19603-71FD-4710-A26E-DB6089E0A4F2.jpeg
    1FA19603-71FD-4710-A26E-DB6089E0A4F2.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 30BA6421-A8C1-445B-A5AA-B12E9F4FA3BB.jpeg
    30BA6421-A8C1-445B-A5AA-B12E9F4FA3BB.jpeg
    687.7 KB · Views: 42
Idk :/ From what i can see, there's a small piece of the lower core board thats been chipped off and maybe with time that could hurt the components or smthing. I don't know much about the mavic components but it's my best guess.

Looks to me like a small caliber bullet might have done that, maybe a slingshot.

Looks to me like a small caliber bullet might have done that, maybe a slingshot.
I kept asking myself "how do you wreck a Mavic like that and not know what happened?"
I think you are exactly right. He got shot down.

For that much money in repair costs, I'd just have them send it back to you and buy a new one. I'd keep the old one for spare parts to use for future repairs.

I kept asking myself "how do you wreck a Mavic like that and not know what happened?"
I think you are exactly right. He got shot down.

Whoa! Guys I think you might be right... Why didn't I think of this?! That would definitely explain it. The gimbal and everything is fine which I never understood. I was flying it in Indonesia as well sooo definitely possible.

Well at least now I know what happened I guess.

A local UAV dealer said he'd sell me a refurbished one for $800AUD so I'll probably just do that. :(

If it was flying fine before you sent it to DJI, and the only problem was that the fan wasn't coming on, that is not a $650 repair. If the fan is damaged, it can be replaced, and the bottom plate can be replaced. Your middle frame looks like it can be bent back into shape.

Looks like your front left arm pin is broken, and that too can be repaired.

I suggest finding a local repair shop to give you a second estimate before you buy another Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000