DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dancing shadows in mavic footage

mynameisevans

Reactions
Hi guys, I just got my mavic about a week ago. Have taken it out for about 6 flights now. I came from a P4P and comparing footage side by side, have found the mavic footage abit lacking. I fully understand though, that there is a tradeoff for the smaller form factor of the Mavic.

My main gripes so far are:
1) very obvious grain at sharpness 0 and above.
2) places with fine detail (grass / trees etc) tends to have dark artifacts.
3) Lots of moire (i guess due to software sharpening?)

All that, i still can live with. However, when I reviewed the footage that I took yesterday at an empty field, I experienced for the first time, dancing footage around the shadow or darker areas (in this case the grass area). It is very obvious and I don't suppose this is normal? I have attached the video below. Straight out of camera, no editing has been done. The footage is quite horrendous by any measure. Is this normal and is there anything that I'm not doing right? Help much appreciated.

Settings were:
ISO - 100
4K - 24FPS
Shutter 1/50
Profile: D-Cinelike 0/-1/-1
ND16 filter
SD Card: Stock SD card that came with the drone.

I can't advise, but just to add to your woes, that footage is stuttering quite a lot too?

just contacted DJI for help. The support guy told me to use DJI assistant 2 to refresh my firmware. I just did that.
Will go fly again tmr or the day after and see if there is any improvement.

It's a bit underexposed which Mavic does not like.
Forget manual and stuff about shutter speed/FPS - for most scenes use auto exposure between 0.0 and +1.0
2.7K with +1, -1, 0 is my favourite setting, d-log if you can grade, cinelike for less work afterwards.
A light gaussian blur or better neat image will immensely improve the artefacts.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair