DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dang, I live in Class C airspace and had no idea

Kyle76

Reactions
Until I decided to take the Part 107 and started looking at sectional charts, I had no idea I lived in restricted airspace. I’m miles from the airport but just inside the ring of the surface to 4,200 feet restrictions. I guess I’ll have to file for authorization any time I want to fly from my backyard. I’m currently using Kittyhawk, and it seems fine, but are there better alternatives?

Kittyhawk is great. I have it and AirMap and tend to use AirMap more.

Reactions: Delenot
Reactions: Gindra
You can apply for a Certificate of Authorization (CoA) from the FAA for that airspace. Usually granted for 2 years, it will allow you to fly up to the specified grid square maximum altitude. You won't have to file a request every time you want to fly.

FAA UAS Facilities Map

This map shows all the Controlled Airspaces. Zoom in to your area and see what you're facing.

Reactions: Kyle76 and Delenot
I face the same issue. Fred is right. I requested a CoA, only took 3 days for approval. The only restriction it still applies is flying at night. Far as I know that's still a no-no is class G even for recreational. (If anyone knows this to be incorrect -individual flight waivers aside- please let me know. I'd love to fly at night out of my yard).

Never had luck getting Kittyhawk to work, but AirMap is a breeze for LAANC.

Reactions: Kyle76
Recreational fliers can fly at night. There are no restrictions on this in Class G airspace. Have fun but be safe.

Controlled Airspace is a different matter. If you're flying under a CoA or a LAANC Authorization, they do restrict it then.

Since Kyle has his 107, he can apply for a 107.29 Daylight Operations Wavier. Once approved, it removes the night flight restriction. Then, link that 107.29 wavier to the CoA, get it approved and you're golden. I have my 107.29 Daylight Operations Wavier linked to all of my CoA's, so I can fly at night in Controlled Airspace. This applies to commercial operations, so I'm always "working on my portfolio".....

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Thank you for the reply Fred. I reread my post after your responce. I had ment Class C, not G, for night flying. My bad for not catching that when I posted.

Reactions: Fred Garvin
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying