DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Data analysis guarantee. DJI reply to the question about my loss of the mavic pro (1)

JORGE SM

Reactions
On March 9, 2019 I lost my mavic pro (1) in a river, passing under a bridge, https: //www.youtube.com/watch? Time_continue = 1 & v = nL6zxtvjgKE
After several consultations in different forums, the cause of the mavic going to the bottom of the river, was very confusing. I still think that the fault was DJI's fault.
Last Friday, I decided to send DJI, should I have done it before, send the data of the LOGs and the video link of the "accident". I have just been told that the warranty to analyze the data has expired ??? ¡¡¡¡
Did you know that DJI has a guarantee limit to analyze the data ???
The text of your answer is as follows:

Dear customer,

Thanks for contacting DJI.

We are grateful to assist you with your concern and feel really sorry for the unfortunate accident.

Sorry to tell that the free data analysis service is only available within the warranty period. Checking the serial number you have offered, the drone is now out of the warranty period.

In consideration of your experience as our valued customer, I have especially applied for 10% discount for you to purchase a new Mavic Air without the remote controller and charger. This 10% discount offer will be valid for a month.

If you would like to take this offer, please offer the information below so that I can record a case for you:

If you have any further question, please feel free to contact us. We are always here to help.

Thank you for choosing DJI. Have a nice day!

Do you think the answer is correct?
regards

Did you have your logs posted here if you didn't do .

On March 9, 2019 I lost my mavic pro (1) in a river, passing under a bridge, https: //www.youtube.com/watch? Time_continue = 1 & v = nL6zxtvjgKE
After several consultations in different forums, the cause of the mavic going to the bottom of the river, was very confusing. I still think that the fault was DJI's fault.

Do you think the answer is correct?
It's correct that DJI only offer free data analysis during the warranty period.
I found your previous post about the incident: MAVIC PRO 1 LOST. MAVIC 2 ZOOM, learning
You posted a number of dat files and one txt file.
The txt file is from the previous December and is not for a flight.
If you can post the proper txt file, I'll look at the data and see what it shows.

Reactions: dawgpilot
It's correct that DJI only offer free data analysis during the warranty period.
I found your previous post about the incident: MAVIC PRO 1 LOST. MAVIC 2 ZOOM, learning
You posted a number of dat files and one txt file.
The txt file is from the previous December and is not for a flight.
If you can post the proper txt file, I'll look at the data and see what it shows.

If I put them, the data, but either I didn't know or nobody answered me
I include them again
I guess the incident file will be the one of the last hour

Attachments

• 19-03-09-04-16-00_FLY086.DAT
    9.2 MB · Views: 9
  • 19-03-09-04-39-50_FLY087.DAT
    117.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 19-03-09-05-10-00_FLY088.DAT
    256 bytes · Views: 3
  • 19-03-09-05-10-01_FLY088.DAT
    4.8 MB · Views: 3
  • 19-03-09-11-56-19_FLY083.DAT
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • 19-03-09-12-12-14_FLY084.DAT
    316.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 19-03-09-12-13-48_FLY085.DAT
    528.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-09_[17-12-55]csv.zip
    157.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-09_[17-12-55]csv-verbose.zip
    317.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-09_[17-12-55]log.zip
    707.7 KB · Views: 8
After several consultations in different forums, the cause of the mavic going to the bottom of the river, was very confusing.
Did anyone look at the flight data or did people just guess?
The data seems to be straightforward rather than confusing.
The drone was flown slowly (<1 metre/sec) and you took your hand off the joystick at 10:30.6.
At 10:30.8 the drone started to pitch forward sharply, and rolled over as it lost height.
That data indicates a low speed crash caused the loss of the drone.
It looks like you flew into an obstacle.
I still think that the fault was DJI's fault.
What makes you think it was a DJI issue?

Reactions: InvisibleName
Did anyone look at the flight data or did people just guess?
The data seems to be straightforward rather than confusing.
The drone was flown slowly (<1 metre/sec) and you took your hand off the joystick at 10:30.6.
At 10:30.8 the drone started to pitch forward sharply, and rolled over as it lost height.
That data indicates a low speed crash caused the loss of the drone.
It looks like you flew into an obstacle.

What makes you think it was a DJI issue?

As you comment, in 10 30 6 in a row the drone flies alone, I did not touch the controls at any time, first it began to descend and suddenly ascends diagonally and collides with the bridge, through the inside arc of the point and falls to the river. What happened for the drone to take over and make it descend and the reflection of the water is supposed to make it rise and collide. It was all very fast, I had no chance to take command. Maybe the 8 satellites were not enough and I switch to ATTI, I didn't have space or time to control it. It was a short distance from the bridge arch exit. When he entered the arch there was no problem, it was perfect. Perhaps too slowly, if it had gone faster nothing would have happened. .
You have seen the video of the accident ?

What happened for the drone to take over and make it descend and the reflection of the water is supposed to make it rise and collide. It was all very fast, I had no chance to take command. Maybe the 8 satellites were not enough
So you fly under a bridge that will reduce your GPS reception and the VPS will try to find something in the reflective water surface below, all while you are very close to the underside of the bridge ..... and that's a DJI problem?
I think you have to accept responsibility for flying your Mavic in a hazardous situation.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
So you fly under a bridge that will reduce your GPS reception and the VPS will try to find something in the reflective water surface below, all while you are very close to the underside of the bridge ..... and that's a DJI problem?
I think you have to accept responsibility for flying your Mavic in a hazardous situation.

No no. I just wanted DJI to explain to me why at the moment 10 30 6, the device, the single one descends alone, without touching anything and then ascends. And if I also share it, so that other novice or experienced pilots can take it into account. Nothing else. As I commented, 4 days after the accident, I bought a mavic zoom and I continue with the drone issue, even with freestyle and tynys drones. And with a fully equipped F450, although obviously without the quality of the mavic, but the F450 I have sold it to a partner, without notable accidents and the mavic pro is at the bottom of a river. I guess you will have seen many more people passing under a bridge and without problems. Although someone else has had them but with better luck. I repeat, I just wanted to know what motivated those displacements and that it was worth my disastrous experience in positive experience for others. Regards

Reactions: WithTheBirds
I guess you will have seen many more people passing under a bridge and without problems.
There is a big difference between flying under a bridge and hovering close under a bridge.
You are losing stability due to blocking satellites and the VPS cannot lock onto moving water or bright reflections.
I can see why DJI would blame it on the pilot that put the drone in that situation.

Reactions: dtp
How long had you had your MP? Warranty is 1 year. You’ve waited a few months before contacting DJI?

I didn't want DJI to give me anything, just to explain what had happened. Nothing else. Those who answer saying that the guarantee has passed are them and the funniest thing, is that they offer me a discount of a mavic air, just the aircraft, the command not .... so that I would like a drone without a transmitter .... Do not want to waste time analyzing the LOGs, something that is no longer guaranteed? and even above the drone is under water without being able to recover, they have nothing to gain, just wasting time. It is his way of seeing it. But I think that in any company from which you have bought a product and if that product has a mishap, the minimum is that the producer-seller can give an explanation of what could have happened and that both me and others, it seems that we have been the culprits of the incident we do not do it again and it is worth to others not to do it. If we have a car and we crash it and we go down the hill and it goes to the bottom of the sea, I would explain to the manufacturer of the car that has happened and they could tell me what the problem was to not repeat it neither I nor other buyers. It is precisely in this MAVICPILOTS channel to which I am subscribed, where I receive a lot of questions that people ask every day but also a lot of incidents, accidents not attributable to the pilot. And my situation, I repeat and I'm done, it's not that he asked me to 'give away' a drone, it was to know what happened and that it could be worth to others. I already have another drone, as I said, after 4 days I bought the ZOOM. Regards

Reactions: BigAl07
Flying low over water depending on the visual and ultrasonic height sensors is always a gamble. The visual sensor has problems with the water surface, the ultrasonic has problems with water surface ripples and then you fly under a bridge and start to lose satellites which the drone is trying to use to hold its height. When the sensors find a surface it rises and you’ve put a bridge over it. The water beckons!

I didn't want DJI to give me anything, just to explain what had happened. Nothing else. Those who answer saying that the guarantee has passed are them and the funniest thing, is that they offer me a discount of a mavic air, just the aircraft, the command not .... so that I would like a drone without a transmitter .... Do not want to waste time analyzing the LOGs, something that is no longer guaranteed? and even above the drone is under water without being able to recover, they have nothing to gain, just wasting time. It is his way of seeing it. But I think that in any company from which you have bought a product and if that product has a mishap, the minimum is that the producer-seller can give an explanation of what could have happened and that both me and others, it seems that we have been the culprits of the incident we do not do it again and it is worth to others not to do it. If we have a car and we crash it and we go down the hill and it goes to the bottom of the sea, I would explain to the manufacturer of the car that has happened and they could tell me what the problem was to not repeat it neither I nor other buyers. It is precisely in this MAVICPILOTS channel to which I am subscribed, where I receive a lot of questions that people ask every day but also a lot of incidents, accidents not attributable to the pilot. And my situation, I repeat and I'm done, it's not that he asked me to 'give away' a drone, it was to know what happened and that it could be worth to others. I already have another drone, as I said, after 4 days I bought the ZOOM. Regards
My comment was only related your questions: “
I have just been told that the warranty to analyze the data has expired ??? ¡¡¡¡
Did you know that DJI has a guarantee limit to analyze the data ???”

It wasn’t abt who was at fault with the loss of your drone.
So, yes, it’s important to let others know there’s a time period where a manufacturer will investigate a mishap with their product.

GPS is not used to stabilize height. That's done by barometer and possibly VPS if low enough to what it believes is ground.

This is an unusual case. At first glance there is no obvious reason for the collision with the bridge. The aircraft remained in P-GPS mode with a navHealth value of 4/5, and the instability was vertical rather than horizontal. The barometer and VPS systems detected the climb, which was uncommanded - there was no throttle applied to cause it, and the PWM and motor speed records don't show any motor changes. It looks to me like reverse ground effect - the aircraft went under the bridge too close to the roof and that led to a drop in pressure above the aircraft, sucking it upwards.

People sometimes expect far too much automated control from these aircraft.

Last edited:
Have you ever tried to get the cause of a vehicle breakdown from a manufacturer outside of warranty? A main dealership is going to charge about £150 to plug in their diagnostic equipment and read the vehicle ECU. You can also plug in your own obd2 reader and read the codes yourself.
So your drone is outside of warranty and DJI don’t offer diagnostics, so sar104 has read the logs and come to the conclusion that the incident is possibly the result of flying too close to a surface above your drone.
I can vouch for that the surface effect of a ceiling is just as strong as that of the ground having a Tello that has at times seemed to spend most of its time glued to the ceiling!

Have you ever tried to get the cause of a vehicle breakdown from a manufacturer outside of warranty? A main dealership is going to charge about £150 to plug in their diagnostic equipment and read the vehicle ECU. You can also plug in your own obd2 reader and read the codes yourself.
So your drone is outside of warranty and DJI don’t offer diagnostics, so sar104 has read the logs and come to the conclusion that the incident is possibly the result of flying too close to a surface above your drone.
I can vouch for that the surface effect of a ceiling is just as strong as that of the ground having a Tello that has at times seemed to spend most of its time glued to the ceiling!

Yep. Tellos do like to ceiling surf :). Not experienced it on my M2P but then I’ve not been in a position to test its inverse ground effects capabilities...

Reactions: JORGE SM
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters