DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 David Attenborough moment

Check this out. It was just behind my house about 200 yards off shore!
You caught something very interesting there.
It's not a "bait ball" composed of millions of baitfish tightly schooling to avoid being on the outer edge and getting eaten.
You've got a lot of quite large fish (maybe Black spot sea bream?) that aren't particularly concerned about predators.
Note how the dolphins attacking doesn't change the behaviour of the fish.
What you've filmed appears to be a group spawning activity.

Next time you are shooting a subject out on the water, try to get the sun behind the drone rather than looking towards the sun.
That way the sun lights your subject and glare is minimised.
And if you are lucky enough to spot something like this again ... get in closer.

Reactions: Gagey52
Sorry, I beg to differ. It was a bait ball. If you look closely, there are several shots of the porpoise (dolphin are a fish!) eating gilt-head bream (which is what the fish were). As it turns out there were divers in the water who saw this too. Also, the fish definitely reacted when when the porpoise went in. Although the vid is only a couple of minutes. They whole thing lasted almost an hour! As for getting closer, I totally agree. I doubt however, that I will be fortunate enough to see something like this ever again, especially given that it was right behind my house!
Thanks ... Ed

Sorry, I beg to differ. It was a bait ball. If you look closely, there are several shots of the porpoise (dolphin are a fish!) eating gilt-head bream (which is what the fish were).
I'm telling you as a marine biologist, that it was a mass breeding aggregation.
They were large fish that normally wouldn't school like that.

And those marine mammals were dolphins.
Seven species of small toothed whales are commonly called porpoises and 40 species are referred to as dolphins.
Those in the video are clearly dolphins.
Yes I know there's a fish commonly called a dolphin fish, that's something entirely different.

As it turns out there were divers in the water who saw this too. Also, the fish definitely reacted when when the porpoise went in.
Sure the dolphins took advantage of some easy snacks, but it's clear that the dolphin actions made no difference to the fishes activity, which was the same before, during and afterwards.
You can also see that the dolphins didn't go crazy over the easy feeding opportunity as they would have with sardines, pilchards etc.
The bream are too large for an animal that swallows small fish and squid whole.

I think what you captured video of is more interesting and much less commonly observed than the usual bait ball/ predator interaction you are familiar with.
Any fisheries biologist in the region would probably be quite interested to see it.

Reactions: r.gwynn
Amazing sight worthy of more than 1 battery. Not familiar with your local fish but that was a bunch of them, for sure. I've seen it happen in my area with mullet schools that larger fish and dolphins will ball up then feed on. But mullet jump like crazy, unlike your 'bait ball" of larger forage fish. Anyways, very cool video. It might be repeatable next year at the same time, in the same general area. Worth another look. Congratulations ??

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki