DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Blotchy on clip fade out

Bransty

Reactions
Hello wonderful people.

I wonder if anyone can help with an issue I've had on 3 different spec PCs?

I don't know what the correct term is called, so I'm calling it blotchiness :)

I like to fade out a clip, leave the screen dark for a second, then fade into a new clip.
90% of the time, this works fine, but sometimes there's a horrible flashing white blotchiness where there should be black.
If you search YouTube for 'Blotch on the landscape' you should see a 6 second video by a user called LordBransty.
If I'm allowed to post URLs on this forum, here it is:
you can see it on the right hand side about 3 seconds in.
I've attached a still of Davinci and a still of the unwanted image flicker blotch:
Any idea how I remove this? It seems like the background mountain turns white/light grey, instead of fading into dark.Dav Editor.jpgstill.jpg
All suggestions welcome!
John

Never experienced that myself, however I've never separated clips. Done plenty of fades and have used Resolve for a few years. Try posting on the Blackmagic forum if you don't get any response here. Plenty of Resolve pros there.

Reactions: vindibona1
Never experienced that myself, however I've never separated clips. Done plenty of fades and have used Resolve for a few years. Try posting on the Blackmagic forum if you don't get any response here. Plenty of Resolve pros there.
Thank you. I have posted it on the Black Magic forum. Thought I'd try posting here too, as there are some very knowledgeable people. I'm sure I'll crack it eventually. :cool:

Hello wonderful people.

I wonder if anyone can help with an issue I've had on 3 different spec PCs?

I don't know what the correct term is called, so I'm calling it blotchiness :)

I like to fade out a clip, leave the screen dark for a second, then fade into a new clip.
90% of the time, this works fine, but sometimes there's a horrible flashing white blotchiness where there should be black.
If you search YouTube for 'Blotch on the landscape' you should see a 6 second video by a user called LordBransty.
If I'm allowed to post URLs on this forum, here it is:
you can see it on the right hand side about 3 seconds in.
I've attached a still of Davinci and a still of the unwanted image flicker blotch:
Any idea how I remove this? It seems like the background mountain turns white/light grey, instead of fading into dark.View attachment 113352View attachment 113353
All suggestions welcome!
John
That is odd. What I would try to do is make a new fusion clip with a black background and stick it in between those clips so there’s no dead space in the timeline.

That is odd. What I would try to do is make a new fusion clip with a black background and stick it in between those clips so there’s no dead space in the timeline.
It gets curiouser and curiouser... I created a new project and imported the rendered video, so I could edit out the white flashing blotches.
When running it on the timeline, Davinci plays it as a black fade out. The way it should be. It doesn't see the white flickering. Thought I had cracked it. But when re-rendered, there it is again. Very peculiar.

I've never separated clips. I've not gotten any blotches either. It is curious though. Perhaps you might avoid the blotch if instead of separating the clips, creating keyframes in those time spaces and setting the opacity at 0. Other than that, as someone else said, go on the Blackmagic forum and post the question. You'll have a better chance at getting a concrete answer.

Yesterday I tested the same thing in DR 16 Studio, 2 clip with fade out and fade in, approximately 1/2s separated.
Same result, a weird glitch between the clips.

Advice from a man with very, VERY little experience in video editing is to take the easy way out and,
Don´t Separate Clips ?

What was your source codec and what is the timeline set to?
H265. It seems to happen on many different FPS, but less on 60fps.
I think you're in the right ball park with codecs. Someone on the Davinci forum thinks I need 10 bit colour and PRORES. I'm pretty much a noob, but have half an idea what he's getting at. Shame though. Some great videos spoiled.

I've never separated clips. I've not gotten any blotches either. It is curious though. Perhaps you might avoid the blotch if instead of separating the clips, creating keyframes in those time spaces and setting the opacity at 0. Other than that, as someone else said, go on the Blackmagic forum and post the question. You'll have a better chance at getting a concrete answer.
That sounds promising. I may well look into that. I'm pretty much a noob, but time to move onto keyframes and colour grading I think. Thank you for your answer.

H265. It seems to happen on many different FPS, but less on 60fps.
I think you're in the right ball park with codecs. Someone on the Davinci forum thinks I need 10 bit colour and PRORES. I'm pretty much a noob, but have half an idea what he's getting at. Shame though. Some great videos spoiled.

Have you had any more luck?

I’ve been testing this over and over with H.264 material and cannot reproduce the issue. Will try with H.265 over the next few days to see if it is codec related.

Have you had any more luck?

I’ve been testing this over and over with H.264 material and cannot reproduce the issue. Will try with H.265 over the next few days to see if it is codec related.
I haven't flown for a couple of weeks now due to bad weather. I'll try H.264 to see if I can reproduce the error. It seems to happen more at dusk that bright days.

Hi, I just work with H.264, but what I did for the same effect you want to produce is:
Create a black picture (jpg, 1920x1080) and put it in the space between the 2 clips. The picture can be handled like a clip in DaVinci to define the length of this "pic-clip", in your case 1 second.
The first clip fades out, the black picture is shown, the second clip fades in.

Worked perfect in my project, perhaps you give it a try... good luck!

Reactions: Bransty and Ringarn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas