DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DaVinci: Creating Hyperlapse by extracting frames X number of seconds apart and using those frames to create a new video

ff22

Reactions
To the Video Editors in our midst:

My original request was:

"I would like to try turning a video I took while hiking into a timelapse, if possible, by grabbing one frame every x number of frames but I'm not sure there's a way to automate that process.

Anyone have any ideas or software recommendations for such an attempt?"

I've since found a program to exact individual images from a video at selective time intervals but then those have to be imported into an editor (I used Magix) and made into a video again. So now I'm wondering if DaVinci might have a handy way of accomplishing this since it seems to all-powerful? Thanks in advance.

To the Video Editors in our midst:

My original request was:

"I would like to try turning a video I took while hiking into a timelapse, if possible, by grabbing one frame every x number of frames but I'm not sure there's a way to automate that process.

Anyone have any ideas or software recommendations for such an attempt?"

I've since found a program to exact individual images from a video at selective time intervals but then those have to be imported into an editor (I used Magix) and made into a video again. So now I'm wondering if DaVinci might have a handy way of accomplishing this since it seems to all-powerful? Thanks in advance.
That’s literally the same thing as increasing the speed of the video. If you increase the speed x2 then every other frame is deleted. X4 deletes every other frame then deletes every other frame from what's left. If you speed up by x1.25 then every 4th frame is deleted etc.

Another even better way to do it is to double the playback speed of your timeline. So if it was originally 30 FPS change your timeline to 60 FPS to get x2 speed but this way you keep all the frames it just plays back faster so the video will be smoother.

That’s literally the same thing as increasing the speed of the video. If you increase the speed x2 then every other frame is deleted. X4 deletes every other frame then deletes every other frame from what's left. If you speed up by x1.25 then every 4th frame is deleted etc.

Another even better way to do it is to double the playback speed of your timeline. So if it was originally 30 FPS change your timeline to 60 FPS to get x2 speed but this way you keep all the frames it just plays back faster so the video will be smoother.

I have tucked this away for tomorrow's experimentation. THANKS a lot. What would be a good export method for youtube presentation? Thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07
I have tucked this away for tomorrow's experimentation. THANKS a lot. What would be a good export method for youtube presentation? Thanks.
The higher the quality the better but you’ll need to balance that with export time and upload time. I upload videos to YouTube in ProRes 422 (PC equivalent is DNxHD [1080p or lower] or DNxHR [higher than 1080p]) but I have a pretty fast computer and lightning fast internet. It might take 20x longer to do it that way for maybe a 5% increase in the quality on YouTube, however.

Most renderers have have a YouTube preset that will be the best export settings for most people.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toninhostark