DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Davinci Resolve 15 (15.3.0.008) Windows only/ H265 10-bit and Mavic 2 Pro

Martin617

Reactions
Hi guys,
I have been searching the forum and google for a definitive answer to this question and have seen conflicting answers so I will try and ask again in case there has been any recent updates to the software. I have 2 questions –

• As we know the M2P can record in H265 10 bit but there seems to be a lack of support for this codec in the video editing industry. I have been using DR15 (free) and can import the file and work on them but not export in the H265 10-bit format, only H264. Does the latest paid version of DR15 support H265 10-bit as an output option in Win 10? It would seem a shame of even having this super-duper codec if we are not even using it correctly and exporting in an essentially lesser codec so to speak and 8-bit. Would anyone have any screen shots if it is the case to settle my mind?
  • Would I notice any difference in watching a rendered H.265 10-bit file as opposed to the converted H264 files I currently have? So essentially is it worth the effort to upgrade and keep the H265 10-bit format throughout the video editing process?
I have read the H265 although retaining the quality are reduced file sizes and this in itself is very useful.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Reactions: alanwa007
Looking at Blackmagicdesign's comparison pdf, H.265 is not mentioned at all. I find nothing in the user manual, save for in Fusion Output Caching: "First, H.264, H.265... clips that have been edited into a timeline are cached." I found one website that has an H.265 converter that converts to a format Davinci Resolve can use. Guess this doesn't clear up anything.

Reactions: Martin617
Had similar experience on DaVinci Resolve 15 BM with 2.7k footage shot from Mavic Air. Couldn't find matching settings on DR 15 so had to render at 1080p. But that is more my lack of understanding or technical ability when it comes to these matters.

Could just use Adobe Premiere it is supported Be sure not to use H.265 in your sequence though if you want any kind of editing speed. USE PROXY FILES for sure. You will have to re-encode back when your project is complete.

Or you could try the new Adobe Rush (it looks to be supported).

I played with 4k H.265 for a while and after color correction it looked AMAZING. Then I showed a few friends and they are said. "We don't have 4k monitors so what does it matter? we watch your vids on our phone/tablet". I thought about it and unless your are going to crop scale your footage... they had a good point.

Could just use Adobe Premiere it is supported Be sure not to use H.265 in your sequence though if you want any kind of editing speed. USE PROXY FILES for sure. You will have to re-encode back when your project is complete.

Or you could try the new Adobe Rush (it looks to be supported).

I played with 4k H.265 for a while and after color correction it looked AMAZING. Then I showed a few friends and they are said. "We don't have 4k monitors so what does it matter? we watch your vids on our phone/tablet". I thought about it and unless your are going to crop scale your footage... they had a good point.
So true, vast majority of 4K is watched on non 4 K monitors. phones, old laptops etc.

Paul

Yep and the hardware/disk space cost to really edit (at speed) using 4K 10 bit is a lot. I am not a patient man and I like smooth scrubbing while editing. When I was done editing the first time I hit render (with a water-cooled i7 6700k overclocked to 4.7 and a water-cooled overclocked 1080ti). I thought my machine hung. Nope! 37 mins to render 3 mins of video with all my edits and corrections.

After a bunch of research and YouTube watching, including using proxy files to edit with a 10 bit GoPro codec sequence cut my render time almost to 1:1. But still. Geesh! I started shopping for Intel i9s for the near future purchases.

Hi guys,
I have been searching the forum and google for a definitive answer to this question and have seen conflicting answers so I will try and ask again in case there has been any recent updates to the software. I have 2 questions –

• As we know the M2P can record in H265 10 bit but there seems to be a lack of support for this codec in the video editing industry. I have been using DR15 (free) and can import the file and work on them but not export in the H265 10-bit format, only H264. Does the latest paid version of DR15 support H265 10-bit as an output option in Win 10? It would seem a shame of even having this super-duper codec if we are not even using it correctly and exporting in an essentially lesser codec so to speak and 8-bit. Would anyone have any screen shots if it is the case to settle my mind?
  • Would I notice any difference in watching a rendered H.265 10-bit file as opposed to the converted H264 files I currently have? So essentially is it worth the effort to upgrade and keep the H265 10-bit format throughout the video editing process?
I have read the H265 although retaining the quality are reduced file sizes and this in itself is very useful.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Render Request HEVC H.265

you need studio version and an appropriate nvidia card for hardware encoding. as i understand free version does not do it, but, not sure. my card now is not powerful enough to do encoding - i have 1060 gb nvidia.

Yes, I have an RTX2080 card so hopefully would be ok

Whoa Martin...you just about have to be a gamer with an RTX2080! I just updated my i7 box with an i9-9900, a couple M.2 Samsung Evo's, and a 1070 TI. (not a gamer) Can't speak on Davincci but now Premiere Pro CC and all the other Adobe apps love the new environment. No problems editing H.265 footage or rendering. Smooth as silk. With the i7 and a GTX 970, I HAD to use proxies as editing the native clips was impossible. YAY...no more proxy files!

Whoa Martin...you just about have to be a gamer with an RTX2080! I just updated my i7 box with an i9-9900, a couple M.2 Samsung Evo's, and a 1070 TI. (not a gamer) Can't speak on Davincci but now Premiere Pro CC and all the other Adobe apps love the new environment. No problems editing H.265 footage or rendering. Smooth as silk. With the i7 and a GTX 970, I HAD to use proxies as editing the native clips was impossible. YAY...no more proxy files!
My boys use the computer for gaming, lol. I am a bit old for that now and have no interest but like editing when I can get the PC.

I bought Pinnacle Studio 20 for $30 and it states that it can handle H.265, so maybe have a look at that. I did see a few boxes in Microcenter for about $20 in clearance.

Reactions: Martin617
Based on what we know, HEVC offers roughly twice the image quality of H.264 at the same bit rate, or the same quality at half the bit rate. The H.264 codec is a very flexible codec for efficient video encoding. It comes in a number of profiles which can accommodate different capabilities when it comes to color bit-depth, chroma sub-sampling, resolution, and intra or inter-frame compression. The H.265 / HEVC codec is even more efficient, at the cost of higher complexity.

When working with HEVC/H.265 in DaVinci Resolve, the software has to decode H.265 / HEVC encoded files using your system CPU before full raster video frames can be processed, and while this has been improved in Resolve, it's still a problem for many on laptops and lower power systems to do this in real time. Working with HEVC codecs natively in DaVinci Resolve can also result in audio drift and sync issues over the duration of long clips. Working with 4k HEVC/H.265 content requires for fast CPU, fast GPU, a lot RAM, a large SSD, and more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61