DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with dji over drone replacement

I understand that everyone likes to play Monday morning quarterback, but really I was just looking for the best way to deal with DJI or otherwise I get a replacement drone. If anyone has helpful suggestions on that I would really appreciate it. Thanks
Not Monday Morning Quarterback. Just examining the situation and trying to figure out what happened so that you can properly address the issue with DJI. Every incident of this type is also a good learning experience for the other pilots on this forum.

As to your direct questions about how to proceed:
I think the 30% discount offer from DJI is fair and within the terms of the contract for DJI Care Refresh. You do not have the craft in hand, so you cannot use one of the replacement instances. You cannot claim manufacturer defect and push for a free replacement since it seems this was likely all pilot error. Sorry, but that's just what the facts seem to indicate.

If you don't want to replace it at the quoted cost, then look for a used unit in good shape. For the cost, the Mavic Mini may indeed be a good option. I don't think we can really tell until it is officially available next week but it looks like a nice drone. That is especially true if you don't need or want the 4K video and special shooting modes that the MA has and the MM does not. The longer flight time is nice. Just please concentrate on bringing that drone back home way before the battery gets to critically low levels.

It might be possible to find MA AC only somewhere. Maybe DJIDroneService can figure something out for you.

On doing that, maybe you can get DJI to transfer Refresh over to it under the circumstances, if early in the term.

It might be possible to find MA AC only somewhere. Maybe DJIDroneService can figure something out for you.

On doing that, maybe you can get DJI to transfer Refresh over to it under the circumstances, if early in the term.

Excellent idea. How about it @djidroneservice do y'all have aircraft only options for Mavic Air?

That would help as I still have 2 batteries and am short on cash right now.

Reactions: BigAl07
I understand that everyone likes to play Monday morning quarterback, but really I was just looking for the best way to deal with DJI or otherwise I get a replacement drone. If anyone has helpful suggestions on that I would really appreciate it. Thanks

Maybe it's because I'm a hood rat but when I saw this, I read, "Can anyone tell me how I can trick DJI into sending me something I don't deserve?" Hahahaha!

Maybe you can get your "visual observer" to split the cost with you since they definitely dropped the ball... Or you can admit there wasn't one, just saying.

Do you know anyone with a large YouTube channel? My experience is that if a large channel bashes DJI enough, they usually cave in.

Did you try hooking up a phone to the controller and hitting "find my drone" in the app? It'll give you a pretty good indication of it's last known location. Complete with satellite view. Who knows? Maybe it's actually on the ground or somewhere the water is shallow?

As far as the goggles freezing up, I have to agree with everyone else, they are just displays using the cord. Although unplugging things during flight sounds like a bad idea, since if it were a phone, you can initiate the landing sequence from the phone.

What exactly did DJI tell you? I'm sure they broke it down step by step to you...

Are you sure about that!? Prob a text file, for witch if you post, I bet one of our members will decode it for you.

Last edited:
Are you sure about that!? Prob a text file, for witch if you post, I bet one of our members will decode it for you.
Sure. When I first got the goggles I attempted to view the logs using both DJI tools and airdata. Airdata data also told me that they don’t support debt files for the air or the Mavic 2. Thanks, though.

Hey, if I knew any scuba divers that went to that lake I would call them up.
Surely a mask and snorkel would suffice, since you know the area the drone was last seen, and it likely just autolanded in the water when battery reached 15% at the critical battery level. Find the drone in the lake by searching in an ever larger circle around the most likely spot, and send it to DJI under your Refresh policy. Unlike the tides and currents in the ocean, in a lake, the drone won't drift away from where it went down. Go get her back!

Surely a mask and snorkel would suffice, since you know the area the drone was last seen, and it likely just autolanded in the water when battery reached 15% at the critical battery level. Find the drone in the lake by searching in an ever larger circle around the most likely spot, and send it to DJI under your Refresh policy. Unlike the tides and currents in the ocean, in a lake, the drone won't drift away from where it went down. Go get her back!

It's an 800 acre lake and swimming is not allowed.

It's an 800 acre lake and swimming is not allowed.
How about a glass bottom boat, or an underwater video camera like a Go Pro on a pole with a flood light, from a row boat or kayak? You must already know with some precision exactly where to look, as it hovered and auto-landed, after you inadvertently cancelled RTH. Its not a rescue, but a recovery mission. Multiple attempts are possible. Anything else costs you far more money. Don't waste the Refresh insurance. Recover the aircraft. Get a couple of kids to help you. Offer a $25 reward for whoever finds it! How deep is the lake at the point it landed!? What is the visibility depth from the surface?

When I signed up for DJI Refresh the offer stated that they will replace the AC if lost over water, or otherwise unrecoverable.

According to the stated T&Cs you just have to send in the logs to prove it was lost over water.

When I signed up for DJI Refresh the offer stated that they will replace the AC if lost over water, or otherwise unrecoverable.

According to the stated T&Cs you just have to send in the logs to prove it was lost over water.
Hmmm, the way I remember it was you had to have the remains of the drone in order to make a claim. I will have to go back and take a look.

Hmmm, the way I remember it was you had to have the remains of the drone in order to make a claim. I will have to go back and take a look.

"Exclusions

The service does not cover:

1) Lost or partially lost product and accessories.

2) Stolen or abandoned product and accessories.

etc."

"Exclusions

The service does not cover:

1) Lost or partially lost product and accessories.

2) Stolen or abandoned product and accessories.

etc."
If everything you have told us is true, it is not lost. You know exactly where it is. You just need to go retrieve it! Why won't you?

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme