DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with DJI Support. Anyone with experience care to offer advice?

wilnaw

Reactions
Looking for insight on how to effectively deal with DJI support. Here's the situation.

A few days ago, I set my MavicPro in "Fixed Wing Mode" and couldn't get it out. It started moving in one direction, ignored all RTH commands and flew straight out to sea. I knew it was an equipment (software) failure and contacted DJI support expecting no problems getting a new one.

Here's what they said:

1 The GPS signal was fine and the aircraft worked under GPS mode.

2 T=01-10 h=27.4m d=184.5m the app warned that there was high wind.

3 T=03-16 h=92.4m d=561.0m there was no pilot's input but the aircraft tilted 16.9 degrees forward and flew away from the home point at 5.4m/s, which indicated that there was high wind affecting the aircraft.

4 The aircraft could not hover or return home normally as was affected by the high wind.

5 T=15-23 h=99.6m d=3473.8m battery 13%, the landing was triggered due to the critical low battery. The aircraft started to descend automatically.

6 T=15-56 h=15.7m d=3511.6m battery 11%, the app record ended when the aircraft was descending automatically.

TL;DR

DJI Support claimed that the wind forcibly blew the drone and that they're not obligated to replace it.

I get that DJI needs to filter out cases that truly aren't their responsibility to replace.

Here's the thing, I knew what really happened. That the drone moved with "no pilot's input" not because of wind, but because I put it in Fixed-Wing Mode.

Here's where it get's interesting.

To prove it wasn't the wind, I looked up the weather history at the location of the incident, and saw that the wind was blowing in the opposite direction the drone was moving that day.

I attached a screenshot of the weather conditions at the location/day/time of the incident to this post for your convenience and also included a direct link to the page I took that screenshot HERE.

As you can see that the wind was blowing to the West North West at the location/time of the incident.

To put a cherry on top, I also attached a screenshot of the path the drone took that fateful day.

As you can see, my drone moved in a North Eastern direction out to sea, in the opposite direction the wind was blowing.

Their analysis that the wind forcibly blew the drone out to sea due to improper flight environment and pilot error is irrevocably incorrect. Not only do I know it, but I can prove it.

Here's my question, has this happened to anyone and how did you handle it? I sent DJI support this information and haven't received a response. Any advice about how to successful handle it would be sincerely appreciated!

Are you sure about the wind speed and direction at the altitude you were flying?

Are you sure about the wind speed and direction at the altitude you were flying?

The altitude of the drone was only about 300ft. If DJI can provide information that contradicts my claim that the drone began to move when I engaged "Fixed-Wing Mode" instead of wind, I would drop it. If I wasn't convinced that they're analysis was incorrect based on what I experienced as the pilot, on top of my findings of the weather history at the location, we wouldn't be having this conversation right now.

Also, I'm open to being wrong. And welcome any info from anyone who knows more than me to set me straight.

So many variables missing. can you post your flight records and what made you conclude it was a software failure. Did you take measures to correct the problem mid flight?

Also, I'm open to being wrong. And welcome any info from anyone who knows more than me to set me straight.
Without the flight logs is like trying to guess who will win the lottery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580