Get more from your Mavic
The largest Mavic community in the world
Join Us Now

Dealing with passers by who ask questions cause they hate drones?

Keisersozze

Reaction score
I just got the Basic Operation License. I've heard first hand stories of drone pilots getting harassed by passers by. How do you deal with a situation where a passer by starts asking questions when you're out flying legally in a non populated area? It would annoy me to have to explain to them that I have a license, or even go as far as to show them my license and registered drone to someone that has zero right to even be asking those questions or any other question as to why I am flying my drone (legally of course).
Any stories or suggestion on best way to deal with a person that in the end is just someone that hates drones?
Thanks.

Millsy006

Reaction score
I had a recent encounter while flying my Mavic Mini. I saw someone coming from the corner of my eye and he immediately asked if I had a license to be flying (which I do even though not needed for the Mini). He fired off a bunch of questions in a slightly aggressive tone (why are you flying here, what are you taking pictures of, are you taking pictures of people’s houses, can I see your license). I was not concerned as I was in class G airspace, over trees and water and nowhere near houses or people.

I politely asked him to wait a moment while I landed. I explained why I was flying in a good location and noted that if I did want to see what his back yard looked like I could see as much or more with google earth... anyway, with a bit of conversation he calmed down.

At the end of the day, I don’t feel like I should have to explain myself to everyone who walks by, but at the same time I am not interested in getting confrontational (especially in my own neighborhood) and usually taking the calm approach / high road in these situations is the way to go.

Millsy006

Reaction score
35 multiple choice questions, open book and you have 90 minutes to write. Now that doesn’t answer the question of how long does it take to get your license as everyone’s study or prep time may differ. I basically did it over a weekend. Spent Saturday gathering some of the key documents and having them ready and open on my screens (Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR Part IX), Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), etc) and then wrote on Sunday.

Uncle Chakka

Reaction score
35 multiple choice questions, open book and you have 90 minutes to write. Now that doesn’t answer the question of how long does it take to get your license as everyone’s study or prep time may differ. I basically did it over a weekend. Spent Saturday gathering some of the key documents and having them ready and open on my screens (Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR Part IX), Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), etc) and then wrote on Sunday.
Great, thanks for the tips! Will definitely get on that soon.