DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dealing with passers by who ask questions cause they hate drones?

Keisersozze

Reactions
I just got the Basic Operation License. I've heard first hand stories of drone pilots getting harassed by passers by. How do you deal with a situation where a passer by starts asking questions when you're out flying legally in a non populated area? It would annoy me to have to explain to them that I have a license, or even go as far as to show them my license and registered drone to someone that has zero right to even be asking those questions or any other question as to why I am flying my drone (legally of course).
Any stories or suggestion on best way to deal with a person that in the end is just someone that hates drones?
Thanks.

I had a recent encounter while flying my Mavic Mini. I saw someone coming from the corner of my eye and he immediately asked if I had a license to be flying (which I do even though not needed for the Mini). He fired off a bunch of questions in a slightly aggressive tone (why are you flying here, what are you taking pictures of, are you taking pictures of people’s houses, can I see your license). I was not concerned as I was in class G airspace, over trees and water and nowhere near houses or people.

I politely asked him to wait a moment while I landed. I explained why I was flying in a good location and noted that if I did want to see what his back yard looked like I could see as much or more with google earth... anyway, with a bit of conversation he calmed down.

At the end of the day, I don’t feel like I should have to explain myself to everyone who walks by, but at the same time I am not interested in getting confrontational (especially in my own neighborhood) and usually taking the calm approach / high road in these situations is the way to go.

35 multiple choice questions, open book and you have 90 minutes to write. Now that doesn’t answer the question of how long does it take to get your license as everyone’s study or prep time may differ. I basically did it over a weekend. Spent Saturday gathering some of the key documents and having them ready and open on my screens (Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR Part IX), Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), etc) and then wrote on Sunday.

35 multiple choice questions, open book and you have 90 minutes to write. Now that doesn’t answer the question of how long does it take to get your license as everyone’s study or prep time may differ. I basically did it over a weekend. Spent Saturday gathering some of the key documents and having them ready and open on my screens (Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR Part IX), Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM), etc) and then wrote on Sunday.
Great, thanks for the tips! Will definitely get on that soon.

I just got the Basic Operation License. I've heard first hand stories of drone pilots getting harassed by passers by. How do you deal with a situation where a passer by starts asking questions when you're out flying legally in a non populated area? It would annoy me to have to explain to them that I have a license, or even go as far as to show them my license and registered drone to someone that has zero right to even be asking those questions or any other question as to why I am flying my drone (legally of course).
Any stories or suggestion on best way to deal with a person that in the end is just someone that hates drones?
Thanks.

Here's something to consider ... If passersby are close enough to harass you, they may be within 100ft (horizontal) of your drone and therefore causing you to be in violation.

But, you may be able to turn it around - explain that you'll be happy to talk to them, but first you will have to land because you are required to pay attention to the drone. Then tell them (politely) that they will have to move back about 30 metres, and that that's a requirement from Transport Canada - that you must not fly within 30 metres of anyone who isn't part of your crew. THEN.. ask them if they'd be willing to be part of your crew for a few minutes. Let them know - by your actions and by inviting them to your flight crew - that you are flying carefully and respectfully of the rules.

If they go to things like invasion of privacy, maybe answer with something like - "You're right. It would be pretty easy for someone to sneak around and fly illegally, including hovering over backyards and rooftops. Part of why I'm flying here, and standing out in the open is that I want people to know that I'm not trying to hide anything. One of the reasons that I did the work to get my license was because I respect other people's rights. I want to make sure that I'm flying safely and within the rules. Now, I have to ask for your help. I can't pay attention to our conversation and the drone at the same time, so I'm going to land it. Before I can do that, though, I have to ask you to move back about 100 feet - that's the rule for how close I can fly to people who aren't part of my flight crew." (and then you can offer to 'deputize' them onto your crew.

Who knows? You might even turn their fear into curiosity and interest.

Reactions: Killfox
Here's something to consider ... If passersby are close enough to harass you, they may be within 100ft (horizontal) of your drone and therefore causing you to be in violation.

But, you may be able to turn it around - explain that you'll be happy to talk to them, but first you will have to land because you are required to pay attention to the drone. Then tell them (politely) that they will have to move back about 30 metres, and that that's a requirement from Transport Canada - that you must not fly within 30 metres of anyone who isn't part of your crew. THEN.. ask them if they'd be willing to be part of your crew for a few minutes. Let them know - by your actions and by inviting them to your flight crew - that you are flying carefully and respectfully of the rules.

If they go to things like invasion of privacy, maybe answer with something like - "You're right. It would be pretty easy for someone to sneak around and fly illegally, including hovering over backyards and rooftops. Part of why I'm flying here, and standing out in the open is that I want people to know that I'm not trying to hide anything. One of the reasons that I did the work to get my license was because I respect other people's rights. I want to make sure that I'm flying safely and within the rules. Now, I have to ask for your help. I can't pay attention to our conversation and the drone at the same time, so I'm going to land it. Before I can do that, though, I have to ask you to move back about 100 feet - that's the rule for how close I can fly to people who aren't part of my flight crew." (and then you can offer to 'deputize' them onto your crew.

Who knows? You might even turn their fear into curiosity and interest.
Can you image having the patience to go through this, especially if you sense the person is just out to get you? Perhaps you are also working using the drone, so essentially this person is coming to your work space and interrupting your work as this video below. I came to the conclusion that a quick explanation is what is necessary in these cases, as the person can be just genuinely curious or concerned which is understandable depending on where you fly. If anything more is required then they are a Karen and they don't deserve more of my time anyway.

Like this latest Karen video that came out today. No way I'm explaining things this way to such a person. I can't even watch the whole video is just boils my blood too much.

I've only had it happen twice so far, but I'm a new pilot. Both time I just told them that I was FAA registered and that the rules prevent me from speaking with anyone while the drone is in flight as I need to focus on the drone. I'll tell them that it will be up for another 30-45 minutes (yes, intentional exaggeration) and I'd be happy to speak with them then. In both cases, they left.......

Reactions: kevbac
Of course, some people are just wired wrong and determined to escalate any situation.
I have been approached a few times. So far, I've been lucky, I guess.
Thing is, you can't control how someone else will react but you can invite them to understand what you're doing and you can give them the chance to see you're not a bad guy.
That didn't mean they'll accept, but at least you'll be the one people side with when the video goes viral.
I'd rather the title reads as KAREN HARASSES FRIENDLY DRONE FLYER than DRONE FLYING KAREN TELLS OFF CURIOUS BYSTANDER.

I've only had it happen twice so far, but I'm a new pilot. Both time I just told them that I was FAA registered and that the rules prevent me from speaking with anyone while the drone is in flight as I need to focus on the drone. I'll tell them that it will be up for another 30-45 minutes (yes, intentional exaggeration) and I'd be happy to speak with them then. In both cases, they left.......
Be friendly and informatve. ? They'll either want to hear more or get bored and leave.

I'm amazed at the number of people who feel they are designated Law Enforcement Officers. I only hope they are that pro-active if they witness someone actually committing a crime. Probably not!

Reactions: cmurr
I think I’m going to make myself couples flags that will say: Drone in flight. Do not come closer! By placing them at 100’ from me, that may help avoid unwanted crowd. What do you think of the idea?

Most that I have encountered have been very curious. "I bet you're getting some awesome shots", and "is it hard to fly", "how far can it go", "I thought it was a bunch of bee's" etc.

I've been able to mostly avoid the Karens, one got rude with me and I simply stated "Its a federal offense to interfere with an aircraft while in flight, I'll need you to back up 100 feet away from me or I'll have to call the RCMP". Sadly, its like dealing with wildlife, be big, scary, assert dominance. Don't "umm, uhh", or give them any wiggle room. Act like you belong there, because as long as you are flying legally and safely, you have every right to what you are doing.

I had one guy who said "I'm going to throw rocks at your drone and take it down", which I replied with the same answer, and pulled out my gopro and clipped it onto my hat. He left right away. In 4 years of flying, those are the only two instances.

Reactions: kevbac
Can you image having the patience to go through this, especially if you sense the person is just out to get you? Perhaps you are also working using the drone, so essentially this person is coming to your work space and interrupting your work as this video below. I came to the conclusion that a quick explanation is what is necessary in these cases, as the person can be just genuinely curious or concerned which is understandable depending on where you fly. If anything more is required then they are a Karen and they don't deserve more of my time anyway.

Like this latest Karen video that came out today. No way I'm explaining things this way to such a person. I can't even watch the whole video is just boils my blood too much.

The woman is clearly afraid that the drone operator could be using the drone to spy on people. That's a pretty common fear.
Fear triggers the fight or flight reaction which, in turn, can lead to aggressive behaviour. And, it did.
When faced with aggression, our first impulse is to respond with even more aggression. And the drone operator did just that. He was being 'attacked' and fought back.
Thing is, with a few words of explanation, he might have been able to reduce the woman's level of fear and de-escalate the situation. Instead, he reacted in such a way that he made things worse.
We can't know what either of these people has faced in their lives that led to their reactions.
What I do know is that holding back for a moment, then responding professionally - including providing information related to their employer, the mission they're flying and RPAS operator's certificate (or 107 thingie in the US) - and answering the concerned citizen's questions would have resulted in a better outcome.
Instead, the woman becomes portrayed as a 'Karen' and, frankly, the drone operator comes across as someone who I would never want doing any work for me, and someone who has just helped contribute to the negative image many people have of drones and drone operators.
Folks - when approached by someone who is afraid - and that's why they'll be all aggressive - YOU can take control of the conversation and -maybe- change someone's perception. They might not change their mind completely but they're sure as heck not going to walk away with a more favourable opinion if you react the way this operator did.

I think I’m going to make myself couples flags that will say: Drone in flight. Do not come closer! By placing them at 100’ from me, that may help avoid unwanted crowd. What do you think of the idea?
That would take a LOT of flags! :eek: 100ft radius x 2 x 3.1416 (pi) = a circumference of about 630 feet. Putting a flag every 6 feet (our new favourite social distance) will require 105 flags - not to mention how long it will take to put them up and take them down. Plus - the 100 foot circle is from the drone itself, not the operator. :oops:o_O

I think offering explanations and inviting people to act as spotters would be more effective and less time consuming. :)

Last edited:
Most that I have encountered have been very curious. "I bet you're getting some awesome shots", and "is it hard to fly", "how far can it go", "I thought it was a bunch of bee's" etc.

I've been able to mostly avoid the Karens, one got rude with me and I simply stated "Its a federal offense to interfere with an aircraft while in flight, I'll need you to back up 100 feet away from me or I'll have to call the RCMP". Sadly, its like dealing with wildlife, be big, scary, assert dominance. Don't "umm, uhh", or give them any wiggle room. Act like you belong there, because as long as you are flying legally and safely, you have every right to what you are doing.

I had one guy who said "I'm going to throw rocks at your drone and take it down", which I replied with the same answer, and pulled out my gopro and clipped it onto my hat. He left right away. In 4 years of flying, those are the only two instances.
Hmmm...
I think that I might have to add a hat-mounted gopro to my kit. It could be handy in those instances where normal de-escalation approaches don't work.
I suppose I could set up a 360 camera on a tripod and capture entire interactions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada