DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dear DJI, You've done it for the Mavic Mini now make a bigger battery for the Mavic Air, PLEASE!

This issue needs to be addressed as a systems engineering problem, not simply add more battery. Doubling the battery capacity will not double the flight time. What will happen is some increase in flight time, heavier weight overall, either reduced agility of the drone due to the increased weight or more powerful motors to overcome the increase in mass which will draw more power and reduce flight time etc.

DJI understands this as part of their design process. Simple guesses based on limited understanding don’t make a lot of engineering sense.

You also must remember that there are less sensors and features on board the MM. Where the MA has a lot more packed into it drawing more power.
Yes. Everybody knows that the MA has loads of sensors and weighs more. It's just part of the reason for wanting a bigger battery option so we can enjoy just a little more flight time.

I know the difference between Ahr and Whr. I have an Electronics Systems Engineering degree. However I dont understand what that has to do with me requesting a larger capacity battery option for the MA.
Others have done it themselves unofficially, albeit Heath Robinson style. I would like to see an option for it made by DJI. It's a simple enough request and task for DJI.
If you have an ESE, then why are you making silly claims?

You have been claiming that since MM has two battery versions, why doesn't DJI make a larger capacity battery for MA?
But what you seem to fail to acknowledge is that the energy capacity available in the MA foe the space allowed is probably maxed out.
You also imply DJI started out with a smaller battery for the MM, then developed a bigger one, when it was probably just the opposite; a smaller capacity, lighter battery was chosen for a specific smaller market need.

Sure, some have added capacity to the MA, but at what cost? They certainly did not maintain the same battery form factor/geometry, and probably only gained 50% run time for 100% increase in size and weight. No drone manufacturer is going to change the battery form factor of a streamlined model just to get more capacity.

Your logic is just totally flawed.

However, if you use your ESE skills and can come up with replacement cells for the MA that fits in the same OEM space and has similar safety and care characteristics, then you'd have a valid argument.

This issue needs to be addressed as a systems engineering problem, not simply add more battery. Doubling the battery capacity will not double the flight time. What will happen is some increase in flight time, heavier weight overall, either reduced agility of the drone due to the increased weight or more powerful motors to overcome the increase in mass which will draw more power and reduce flight time etc.

DJI understands this as part of their design process. Simple guesses based on limited understanding don’t make a lot of engineering sense.
I AM a Qualified Electronic System Engineer myself.

Doubling the power will not double the flight time but 14minutes is a joke. We just need an extra 7 minutes or so, to give it a worthwhile flight time. You can't really think that testing an increased battery size on the MA is beyond the capability of DJI engineers and less commercially viable compared to making an entirely new Class 0/1 product.

Privateers have already done it with piggybacked cells. Their solutions were not elegant but they proved the viability of it. It's a no brainer compared to making an entirely new product.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswired
... Doubling the power will not double the flight time but 14minutes is a joke. We just need an extra 7 minutes or so, to give it a worthwhile flight time. You can't really think that testing an increased battery size on the MA is beyond the capability of DJI engineers and less commercially viable compared to making an entirely new class 4 product.....
If you increase the size of the battery, you will throw the weight balance off, which would affect the handling and the efficiency of the motors. To get another 7 minutes of flying time for a MA2, DJI would have to some combination of the following: reduce the weight, larger prop size (MP props have 3 in diameter size advantage over the MA), better props, better motors, and a bigger battery.

If you have an ESE, then why are you making silly claims?

You have been claiming that since MM has two battery versions, why doesn't DJI make a larger capacity battery for MA?
But what you seem to fail to acknowledge is that the energy capacity available in the MA foe the space allowed is probably maxed out.
You also imply DJI started out with a smaller battery for the MM, then developed a bigger one, when it was probably just the opposite; a smaller capacity, lighter battery was chosen for a specific smaller market need.

Sure, some have added capacity to the MA, but at what cost? They certainly did not maintain the same battery form factor/geometry, and probably only gained 50% run time for 100% increase in size and weight. No drone manufacturer is going to change the battery form factor of a streamlined model just to get more capacity.

Your logic is just totally flawed.

However, if you use your ESE skills and can come up with replacement cells for the MA that fits in the same OEM space and has similar safety and care characteristics, then you'd have a valid argument.
I've said nothing about form factor, OEM space, or the order in which the two options of MM battery were made. You assumed that without reason.

I have said that 14minutes flight time is not good and this is the basis of wanting a larger battery option; the MM was mentioned because it has two battery options.

I have also mentioned in replies that others have already tried with piggy backed batteries to prove the concept.

As an optional extra, I dont see the need to stick to the same form factor except for connections and fitting into the battery bay. It can protrude below the current housing.

What I don't understand is why you or any MA owner would argue against the notion of having a reasonable flight time bearing in mind that privateers have already done it. That really puzzles me.

oh ffs people, OP asked valid question, if you can bring anything valuable into discussion, just don't post as loads of posts above are just pure trolling

If you increase the size of the battery, you will throw the weight balance off, which would affect the handling and the efficiency of the motors. To get another 7 minutes of flying time for a MA2, DJI would have to some combination of the following: reduce the weight, larger prop size (MP props have 3 in diameter size advantage over the MA), better props, better motors, and a bigger battery.
The objective is clear, a longer flight time with minimal affect on the handling.
The battery is already centrally located so an ideal candidate for such an optional accessory.

You can throw curve ball arguments at the idea but it's already been done so they hold no water with me. I have confidence that the engineers behind the amazing Mavic Air and Mavic Mini have the capability to overcome your concerns, even if you don't.

The point is that there are options for the MM but not for the MA.
A larger battery option the MA would give us a decent flight time, which we dont have at the moment.
the only reason the MM has two battery options is because in japan the weight has to be under 200 grams not 250 as for the rest of us to qualify for exemption rules , the batteries look the same but the lower power ones actually weigh half the weight , some 50 grams as apposed to 100 grams they also only give an estimated flight time of 18 mins i can understand that you would like more flight time ,and that is one of the reasons why i purchased my MPP as apposed to the mavic air unfortunately the only option is to have extra batteries

If you're complaining about the original overall design and specs of the MA for the flight time, I agree. For the time it was built and marketing target, 14 minutes was appropriate. It was in a lower class than the M1PP, but higher than the Spark. Many thought of it as the Spark 2.

But you're asking to redesign the battery for an already designed aircraft where form is just as important as function. DJI is not going to make a battery that sticks out beyond the body. That is not the design of any of the Mavics. A Phantom of Inspire maybe, but not a Mavic.

And to then use the Mini as an example just adds to the silliness.

Now if you were to say the MM battery could have a longer flight time, then you would be correct. They used a cell type with a lower energy density than usual, and geometry that wastes space.
But they did not do that for the MA.

the only reason the MM has two battery options is because in japan the weight has to be under 200 grams not 250 as for the rest of us to qualify for exemption rules , the batteries look the same but the lower power ones actually weigh half the weight , some 50 grams as apposed to 100 grams they also only give an estimated flight time of 18 mins i can understand that you would like more flight time ,and that is one of the reasons why i purchased my MPP as apposed to the mavic air unfortunately the only option is to have extra batteries
Well that's a maybe but only part of it.

EASA want it to be under 250g WITH propeller guards on AND it must be a toy (as declared by manufacturer subject to EASA approval), for it to qualify as not needing a license to fly beyond June 2020!

well if that is the case and we in the UK adopt the EASA rules, then Dji will have a ready made drone and batteries to fulfill the new requirements wont they ,but that has nothing to do with the mavic air

well if that is the case and we in the UK adopt the EASA rules, then Dji will have a ready made drone and batteries to fulfill the new requirements wont they ,but that has nothing to do with the mavic air
I know.
I don't get it why peeps are preoccupied with talking the idea down, or chipping in with unrelated comments about the MM.
Talk about missing the point! DUH

If you're complaining about the original overall design and specs of the MA for the flight time, I agree. For the time it was built and marketing target, 14 minutes was appropriate. It was in a lower class than the M1PP, but higher than the Spark. Many thought of it as the Spark 2. /snip
where did you get these 14 minutes mate?
official DJI website states 21 minutes flight
1573825569341.png

I would think you could put another battery sleeve in the air battery and let it protrude lower in the holder to give people the option of longer flight time

where did you get these 14 minutes mate?
official DJI website states 21 minutes flight
View attachment 85639
14minutes is what I get when I bring it back with around 20% battery left. I've NEVER had more than 16minutese out of it.
I just think it's a great pity because I love this little drone but the flight time is crippling. Whenever I have something I want to do seriously, I end up using Litchi Waypoint missions to get the most out of it.
The Mavic Mini gives a genuine 25minutes flight which is usually enough time to get things done without rushing.

I'm definitely impressed with the real world flight time for MM. I feel the M2 flight time is exaggerated foe real world conditions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78