• Mavic

Votes: 43 89.6%
  • Spark

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Phantom

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
giphy.gif

Sadly, this child would one day grow up to launch nuclear missiles at Guam.

I didn't say the camera was better than the P4's camera,BUT for most users it produces the quality they like. Not everyone nit picks over every last pixel.Just like some people like the quality of the Spark pictures/video. I've never noticed my MP struggling in low light? View attachment 19757
Love mine, don't care for the size or boxie look of the P4, just my personal opinion.

Say it again ....
You compare a 1" sensor shooting 4k to the mavic minuscule sensor that struggles in anything less than full sunlight?
Unless you have a degree in post processing and buy expensive software to treat the image quality of the mavic, the P4 would be my pick.
Sort your settings out white balance

Well, the consensus here is that the Mavic makes most sense - a bit of a compromise with the image quality over the Phantom but 'close enough' and as it shoots RAW then there is a better chance at creating better images on the PC later. And as was said by one wiseman here - the best camera is the one you have with you.

I really agree, and I have all three. The pictures/videos from the Phantom are much better than the Mavic, but it sure is a lot more convenient to carry the Mavic around.

But THAT'S NOT WHY I'M WRITING: When I saw the moniker "FortKentDad" my eyes opened. Then when you said you were Canadian, my eyes opened WIDER. I AM FROM CLAIR, NB. And it just isn't that often you find someone who even has heard of the place. My e-mail is [email protected] if you'd like to PM me.

Portability is a big factor for me, and what tipped the scale to me purchasing a mavic over a phantom. The spark doesn't have enough battery life to realistically go up and spend good time taking pictures. While a mavic camera isn't as good, the compact drone and small controller means I get to use the camera more because I can more easily take it onto campus, keep it in my car, take it on trips with my friends, etc. If you aren't expanding the image size to print for frames larger than a laptop screen, for example, then the mavic camera is just fine I think.

lack of 360 sensors: I was worried about that initially, but no longer care too much. I do most flying above the tallest nearby object, and so confidently fly all over. High open airspace is the safest place, and I fly all over out of my eye sight without issues. Now if you're near objects, simply rotate around to see where is safe or unsafe to fly.

Just to keep in mind, most intelligent flight modes have obstacle avoiding disabled. (these are various autopilot modes that are used during filming)

Reactions: MrsTreat
Since I am both a newbie to the forum and a first time drone owner (Mavic), this is how I arrived at making the decision to buy the Mavic:
  • Portability. Both my wife and I travel frequently (domestic and abroad), packing the Mavic in my back pack makes it so much easier. International customs pay less attention to the unit than the bigger PS4. Most of the time they don't even inquire about it.
  • Price: for $1K USD, it is not cheap, but I get great satisfaction owning one.
  • Video quality: this is still an on-going debate. As I understand it, PS4 has better video quality. But don't forget, unless you are a pro videographer trying to work with a film company or trying to sell your aerial footage service, the Mavic is just as good. I don't always film at 4K unless it is something that I have been trying to video for a specific project, other than that, 2.7K is fine for me personally. Most of the general public can't really tell quality difference between 2.7K and 4K unless shown on a 4K monitor. The reactions from my own kids and relatives looking at my unedited footage can confirm that.
  • Unless you have an expensive, robust computer to perform post, editing 4K is not that simple in my opinion (I use Adobe Premiere CC on a 3.2 Mhz, 16 G Ram desktop).
Again, we all have difference wants and needs, and of course, how much we can afford, and levels of expertise. Overall, I am very satisfied and happy with my Mavic. And someday, I will work up the courage to:
  • fly over the water at a longer distance and time. Right now, I just fly over and back to shore.
  • fly it out of site longer
Good luck and happy flying!

I was in the exact same boat an I'm even im Canada too but after a lot of reading I'm going for the Mavic tomorrow.

Thanks everyone for the great information.

If the P4 had ocusync and was in the small form factor of the Mavic then id say get the P4. There are limitations to the Mavics camera but it can still take decent videos. I haven't touched my P3 since I've had my mavic, its such an easy drone to just fold up put in a backpack and go. The ocusync signal makes the Mavic go further than the P4 as well. If size isn't a worry id get a P4P though.

Thats as blurry as all get up for me.

Sorry but i wouldnt use those quality of pics.

I dont class myself as a pixel peeper at all, but that is poor IQ imo.

True, when blown up. But in case you're forgetting these were taken in the pitch blackness of a storm with nothing but the lightning strikes for sensor illumination. Plus they're unprocessed. Some pictures I see posted are so photoshopped, enhanced, and doctored that you have to decide if it's a photograph, or photoshop artwork.

If the P4 had ocusync and was in the small form factor of the Mavic then id say get the P4. There are limitations to the Mavics camera but it can still take decent videos. I haven't touched my P3 since I've had my mavic, its such an easy drone to just fold up put in a backpack and go. The ocusync signal makes the Mavic go further than the P4 as well. If size isn't a worry id get a P4P though.

I'd expect to see the next pro version of the phantom to be more slimline. I like the optics of the p4p but ultimately the size limits it's usability. I was originally going to pick up a p4p right after my MP but now may wait to see what's next.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242