DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decal Girl

Rchawks

Reactions
Thinking about ordering from decal girl, my question is which finish would show up best in VLOS Matt/Satin finish or High Gloss. The color I'm thinking of would be Solid State Yellow.

After just a few feet finish is irrelevant. Get whatever pleases you most up close and personal.

After just a few feet finish is irrelevant. Get whatever pleases you most up close and personal.

Yep...once it's more than a few hundred feet away it's just a small shape.

DecalGirl is great....I've skinned several drones, Xbox, 3DSXL.....currently my M2P and MA1 are a matched set...satisfying my vanity only...

The Mavic Team.jpg

the only advantage with the shiny finish ,is the fact that as you fly and yaw the sun will glint off the drone as it flies

Found this while searching the net for most visible colour against the sky, thought he has a point.

“I've wondered about this question too but could find no real evidence on it. Does anyone know if there is any? Otherwise it seems like after >100 years of aviation history, if there were a favorable paint scheme to be seen, this question would have a clear answer by now. In absence of this, it seems to me like the answer is to do whatever you like other than grey or sky blue, and maybe invest in fancy lights.

I have 1 drone in Matt/Satin finish and 1 in High Gloss like what was previously said doesn't make much difference once it's up in the air, but if you are going to have it sitting out on a shelf when not flying the colors in High Gloss really pop.
But if you like a more muted look then the Matt/Satin would be the way to go.
Personally I like a bright pop to look at.

Reactions: Rchawks
Yep...once it's more than a few hundred feet away it's just a small shape.

DecalGirl is great....I've skinned several drones, Xbox, 3DSXL.....currently my M2P and MA1 are a matched set...satisfying my vanity only...

View attachment 107367
Love that Red Baron. From Decal Girl? I want it for my new Mini. Thanks.

If you’re gonna fly in the jungle, CLASH

BINGO! That's why on every aircraft I have "skinned" it's been something bright and not "camo/natural".

Reactions: Paulf10 and Rchawks
Found a pic of my Mini. Yes I put the folding instruction back on over the decal. Early on in flying the mini I kept forgetting the closing order.
I don't have to close up my Phantom 3 :)
Done-002.jpg

If flying below me here in the south, the background is going to be mostly green or brown. So the light gray top of the mini should work well. It's flying above myself that concerns me. Light gray against sky blue or cloud gray would make for an easy loss of sight. I've ordered some big red and black Sharpies and intend to "paint" the bottom and sides for as much CLASH as possible. Sharpie will add almost zero weight and can be washed off with the right solvent.

Hi there. May i ask where did you buy the carbon fiber skin? Thanks

I'm not Dougdez, but here's a carbon fiber look on Amazon

I've also noticed "WrapeGrade" and "MightySkins" on Amazon have decals that include the bottom of the craft.

If flying below me here in the south, the background is going to be mostly green or brown. So the light gray top of the mini should work well. It's flying above myself that concerns me. Light gray against sky blue or cloud gray would make for an easy loss of sight. I've ordered some big red and black Sharpies and intend to "paint" the bottom and sides for as much CLASH as possible. Sharpie will add almost zero weight and can be washed off with the right solvent.
@pwtsvwt its your drone but using sharpies and solvent to clean it off could impact on the structural integrity of the drone

Depends on he substrate. While Sharpie can be "erased" with simple rubbing alcohol on glass and some other surfaces, it also can leach into plastics and not be completely removable.Unless you want it to be permanent....I would't use Sharpie on the MM body...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure