DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decided To Make My Own RC Phone Mount

CrashnBurn

Reactions
I flew my MM a few hours and realized the folding side clamp bars that hold your phone are worthless. Especially if you have a case around your phone.
And no, I'm not taking the phone cover off every time I want to connect to the RC.
I did a little Google shopping and found all sorts of large tablet mounts, and for larger phone mounts, etc. Both styles are too large for my little Samsung Galaxy 7...and some reviews weren't that great.
So, I decided to make my own holder out of some leftover, lightweight Kydex and bought some RAM mounts. Great adjustment flexibility on the ball pivot and X clamp for various phone sizes. I've used RAM products in my vehicles and was the first thing I thought of for this mount. It is interchangeable with their vehicle mounts as well. Not the most cost effective modification, but functional.
It works great. I notched the Kydex to fit into the side bar clamp openings. Rubber bands aren't needed, but work well to hold the extended RC to phone cable, plus adds a little more compression to the mount.

1a.jpg

3a.jpg

2a.jpg

I flew my MM a few hours and realized the folding side clamp bars that hold your phone are worthless. Especially if you have a case around your phone.
And no, I'm not taking the phone cover off every time I want to connect to the RC.
I did a little Google shopping and found all sorts of large tablet mounts, and for larger phone mounts, etc. Both styles are too large for my little Samsung Galaxy 7...and some reviews weren't that great.
So, I decided to make my own holder out of some leftover, lightweight Kydex and bought some RAM mounts. Great adjustment flexibility on the ball pivot and X clamp for various phone sizes. I've used RAM products in my vehicles and was the first thing I thought of for this mount. It is interchangeable with their vehicle mounts as well. Not the most cost effective modification, but functional.
It works great. I notched the Kydex to fit into the side bar clamp openings. Rubber bands aren't needed, but work well to hold the extended RC to phone cable, plus adds a little more compression to the mount.

View attachment 96943

View attachment 96944

View attachment 96945
Very cool, I like RAM mounts, used them on my motorcycles for years. I've been using THIS ONE by Skyreat since the original Mavic Pro and love it because it folds flat and fits in my cases easily. And of course it fits on all the Mavic's (MP, M2P, M2Z, MA and MM). Love it that you used stuff you already had, very nicely done!

Very cool, I like RAM mounts, used them on my motorcycles for years. I've been using THIS ONE by Skyreat since the original Mavic Pro and love it because it folds flat and fits in my cases easily. And of course it fits on all the Mavic's (MP, M2P, M2Z, MA and MM). Love it that you used stuff you already had, very nicely done!

Thanks!
Yes, I saw that one you linked about the time I started putting mine together. I don't have tablet and it didn't look like it would adjust down to my phone. Plus, some reviews say the plastic locking nut doesn't work so well. I was going to buy it just for the aluminum plate and mount the RAM on it. haha.

Thanks!
Yes, I saw that one you linked about the time I started putting mine together. I don't have tablet and it didn't look like it would adjust down to my phone. Plus, some reviews say the plastic locking nut doesn't work so well. I was going to buy it just for the aluminum plate and mount the RAM on it. haha.
Yeah, I don't like that the locking nut is plastic, but haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). The cool thing a lot of people don't know about it is you can just rotate it 90 degrees to hold your phone, there a slots on both sides do accommodate plugging in your phone.
Skyreat2.jpg

Reactions: CrashnBurn
And if you got the old version with the plastic nut, you can now buy the metal nut separately.

Yeah, I don't like that the locking nut is plastic, but haven't had any issues yet (knock on wood). The cool thing a lot of people don't know about it is you can just rotate it 90 degrees to hold your phone, there a slots on both sides do accommodate plugging in your phone.
View attachment 96960
Just ordered one from Amazon (together with a longer RC cable). The Galaxy A70 is a great phone when it comes to screen estate but barely fits into the RC and you need to remove the case each time you fly. Glad to see that people are having positive feedback on this holder.

I went through the specs on Amazon just to verify that it can rotate to accommodate a phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143