DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decision Time for me ...

Ok here is one more please. If I have the DJI headset, as I understand it the M Pro will connect wireless. Can I run a phone while someone else looks thru the headset? Als, I think the Air cannot do this, correct?
Thanks, that may be my deciding factor ... it would be nice to be able to fly while someone else is looking thru the goggles.
there is an app that lets you do this with any drone and they can just use their phone, no expensive headset

Wow, thanks guys ... that's a lot to think about. @cwil193 are you saying you can get 3 miles with the air? I am no range junkie and honestly don't see me going over 1/2 mile. Any bigger fire then that we would have Texas Forest Service involved and I'd be grounded anyway.
I'm also getting 5km and have yet to see any lag in a city ....it's like flying a phantom 4 with better camera and features that can fit inside your inside jacket pocket or side pocket of your rucksack...try doing that with a MP.....don't believe the haters about this drone 99% of them are current MP owners who are annoyed there is a better foldable drone out there......until the MP2 comes out at least lol

Reactions: rhoffart
I’d definitely go for the Platinum. After starting out on a Phantom 3 Standard which also uses WiFi I realised after the first few flights I’d make a mistake. Signal outs were frequent and I couldn’t go the distances specified by DJI so was disappointed. Decided to get the Mavic Pro for its portability since I hike a lot because of my photography, superb was my first impression, never lost signal, so compact. It was a huge no go the Air because of the WiFi, lesson learned.

I’d definitely go for the Platinum. After starting out on a Phantom 3 Standard which also uses WiFi I realised after the first few flights I’d make a mistake. Signal outs were frequent and I couldn’t go the distances specified by DJI so was disappointed. Decided to get the Mavic Pro for its portability since I hike a lot because of my photography, superb was my first impression, never lost signal, so compact. It was a huge no go the Air because of the WiFi, lesson learned.
The Enhanced WiFi on the Air is completely different to the P3S......last time I checked a P3S can't go 5.2km unmodded like the Air can.it needs lots of mods to the remote antenna's.
Don't compare the 2 ....my Air is getting same range and video feed as my lightbridge phantom 3 advanced and phantom 4

I'm also getting 5km and have yet to see any lag in a city ....it's like flying a phantom 4 with better camera and features that can fit inside your inside jacket pocket or side pocket of your rucksack...try doing that with a MP.....don't believe the haters about this drone 99% of them are current MP owners who are annoyed there is a better foldable drone out there......until the MP2 comes out at least lol
Yeah but MP2 will be about $500 dollars more. Not something most need. And it will be bigger than MP

Air Enhanced WiFi is a bit better than P4 lightbridge, and more friendly to antenna mods than the strange OcuSync

I have had 3 different Phantoms and don't fly too often. Currently I have a P4. Looking to move to a more portable platform. Trying to decide between the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Mavic Air. Mainly fly for fun, a few free gigs for friends and for training for the fire department where I volunteer. I may in the future, have the need fly over a wild-land fire or two and may need some distance ... less then a mile for sure. With that little bit of knowledge ... I'm asking current owners their opinion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx Rick

There's page on the DJI site that shows a side-to-side comparison of the specs. The Pro is way better than the Air in so many ways.

According to Rick the engineer at Drone Valley, the level of sophistication of the Pro* justifies a price much higher than DJI is asking, even a much as $2000,
____
*He has actually dissembled one

There's page on the DJI site that shows a side-to-side comparison of the specs. The Pro is way better than the Air in so many ways.

According to Rick the engineer at Drone Valley, the level of sophistication of the Pro* justifies a price much higher than DJI is asking, even a much as $2000,
____
*He has actually dissembled one
The chip in the air is MUCH better, an update would allow 4K 60fps no problem. The signal on both the Air and Pro are so good that they run out of battery before signal.

The chip in the air is MUCH better, an update would allow 4K 60fps no problem. The signal on both the Air and Pro are so good that they run out of battery before signal.

Rick made that statement re the Pro being worth up to $2000 shortly after the Pro was introduced and he'd had time to test it thoroughly. With his background as an engineer, he chose to actually disassemble one and one was very impressed by the interior workmanship. My statement re the Pro being superior to the Air is based on my, not his, review of the respective specs on the DJI website.

Currently, he has lots of videos on Drone Valley re the Air, but I have not viewed any of them, so I don't know whether he is as impressed with the Air as he was with the Pro when it first became available.

Rick made that statement re the Pro being worth up to $2000 shortly after the Pro was introduced and he'd had time to test it thoroughly. With his background as an engineer, he chose to actually disassemble one and one was very impressed by the interior workmanship. My statement re the Pro being superior to the Air is based on my, not his, review of the respective specs on the DJI website.

Currently, he has lots of videos on Drone Valley re the Air, but I have not viewed any of them, so I don't know whether he is as impressed with the Air as he was with the Pro when it first became available.
No one will be ever AS impressed because they already proved that small could be powerful with the first Mavic Pro.

I have had 3 different Phantoms and don't fly too often. Currently I have a P4. Looking to move to a more portable platform. Trying to decide between the Mavic Pro Platinum and the Mavic Air. Mainly fly for fun, a few free gigs for friends and for training for the fire department where I volunteer. I may in the future, have the need fly over a wild-land fire or two and may need some distance ... less then a mile for sure. With that little bit of knowledge ... I'm asking current owners their opinion. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thx Rick
I would suggest the Autel Robotics Evo, when it comes out.
Here is an informative review on it:

Reactions: Del
I would suggest the Autel Robotics Evo, when it comes out.
Here is an informative review on it:
Autel is the most unreliable company ever. It takes them months to put out updates and they go in the dark forever after unveiling a product.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972