DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decision Time Help

hogsinabind

Reactions
I have been wanting to buy a drone for over a year now, I have wanted a mavic pro since they came out but have procrastinated. I have looked at a lot of used but most people want 700.00 to 1000.00 for them, I was really impressed with the new mavic zoom but wonder if it is really worth 1700.00 with the fly more package over a new mavic pro platinum with a fly more package for 1079.00 please help me make this decision, I want it mostly for recreation and exploring mostly in very remote areas would like to be able to view wildlife also. This will be my first drone.

I have been wanting to buy a drone for over a year now, I have wanted a mavic pro since they came out but have procrastinated. I have looked at a lot of used but most people want 700.00 to 1000.00 for them, I was really impressed with the new mavic zoom but wonder if it is really worth 1700.00 with the fly more package over a new mavic pro platinum with a fly more package for 1079.00 please help me make this decision, I want it mostly for recreation and exploring mostly in very remote areas would like to be able to view wildlife also. This will be my first drone.
$1700+ for your first UAV. You could always buy a used Phantom for under $600 and see how you like it and place the $1100 in your right hand pocket. I always wanted the 24ft Pathfinder boat, but I didn't want to shell out the 80k for it. I settled for the 17ft center console Aquasport and placed the 70k in the bank. Been happy for 15 years...somewhat :)

Last edited:
Well if we are talking boats I wanted an Eliminator Daytona for my first boat, bought an advantage spent 14000.00 traded it in on an Ultra Shadow spent 73000.00 had all kinds of issues with it sold it lost 30000.00 bought a used Eliminator Daytona for 55k have loved it ever since! Moral probably should get the pro2 zoom but money is a little tight.

Well if we are talking boats I wanted an Eliminator Daytona for my first boat, bought an advantage spent 14000.00 traded it in on an Ultra Shadow spent 73000.00 had all kinds of issues with it sold it lost 30000.00 bought a used Eliminator Daytona for 55k have loved it ever since! Moral probably should get the pro2 zoom but money is a little tight.
Then there is your answer, "money is tight" Image quality is still up there on the Phantoms, and for your first UAV might be a good choice, or, look here, I betcha a Mavic1 will come up for $600. Win-win without the disappointment of Oh-F! There went $1700

Then there is your answer, "money is tight" Image quality is still up there on the Phantoms, and for your first UAV might be a good choice, or, look here, I betcha a Mavic1 will come up for $600. Win-win without the disappointment of Oh-F! There went $1700
No opinion on the new mavic platinum for 1079.00?

I don't have a Platinum, I have the original Mavic Pro. There isn't much difference between the two though. I was not one sitting back with a 2 year old Mavic waiting for the Mavic 2 to come out. I have been very happy with my Mavic and knowing what I know now I wouldn't have gone back and changed a thing. When I bought mine new I paid $999 plus tax (two years ago). I did not get the fly more package and I don't regret not doing it either. I have had absolutely no problems with my Mavic and I upgrade software every time they put out an upgrade. The only thing I have had to replace was props. I am on my 3rd set now. I had a couple of minor crashes that shredded the first two sets. The only thing I would do now is if I were in your shoes and you ever thought you wanted to fly POV, I would get the Mavic Pro with the Goggles bundle for $1295.

Buy my like new phantom 3 std complete package for $500)))) still with 8 months of DJI care.

Shameless plug

Reactions: CLE the 216
Friendly advise... if you don't have the money to piss away you may want to consider going cheap or choosing a different hobby. If you read these forums you know these toys can bite you in the *** and you should be willing and able to lose every penny of your investment.

If you do decide to get any type of drone, you should be considerate of the wildlife :)

Good luck!

The Mavic 2 zoom camera is a big improvement over the mavic Pro. Overall the 2 is a much better machine, save your money and do it right the first time, the 2 is the way to go, u will love it

There is a Mavic pro on sale here somewhere for $650 I bet he would take your $600. I had the Mavic pro and with three batteries total, I sold it for $750 and bought the Mavic 2 Pro and am happy I did that. Now you must decide what is best for you.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028