DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

deleting all info from SD card

scmark58

Reactions
Will formatting my SD card delete all info from my SD card? I'm thinking of giving this SD card to someone as i have purchased a higher capacity one and i want to make sure there is nothing left behind.

Will formatting my SD card delete all info from my SD card?
Yes. After formatting the card, you can view the card contents on your computer to verify everything has been deleted.

If you do a quick format, no. Anyone who knows how to use free file recovery software will be able to recover files from it.

You'll want to wipe the card. There's free software for doing that.

Will formatting my SD card delete all info from my SD card? I'm thinking of giving this SD card to someone as i have purchased a higher capacity one and i want to make sure there is nothing left behind.
Theres nothing you can do to be 100% certain that the data will not be recoverable. If you had sensitive data on the card then the only way to ensure the data is erased is to destroy the card.

A dozen seconds in the microwave or couple with the torch are my preferred methods.

Yes. After formatting the card, you can view the card contents on your computer to verify everything has been deleted.
Your potentially giving very poor advice here- a few simple commands at the CMD prompt in windows or the shell in OSX that require no operator skill or software to execute and the full contents of that formatted card are available like just before it was formatted.

Your potentially giving very poor advice here- a few simple commands at the CMD prompt in windows or the shell in OSX that require no operator skill or software to execute and the full contents of that formatted card are available like just before it was formatted.
Or are you reading too much into the OP's question?

If the OP really has confidential information on the card and wants to be sure the new owner cannot get it (if he/she happens to be a skilled hacker), then he should really destroy the card and toss it in the trash.

Or are you reading too much into the OP's question?

If the OP really has confidential information on the card and wants to be sure the new owner cannot get it (if he/she happens to be a skilled hacker), then he should really destroy the card and toss it in the trash.
I don’t think I’m reading too much into it- there is no harm in helping the OP make an informed decision.

You don’t need any hacking skills to unformat and recover information from an SD card. It is a basic function built into operating systems for windows, Mac and others.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming