DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dell xps 2019 for video editing

MGVision

Reactions
Someone tried this 4 k oled laptop? How it handles 4 k video editing? I am wondering how davinci resolve would work on it. Any thoughts?

It should be fine, it depends what you are doing while editing.
My desktop has similar specs but will get a little jerky in preview after adding a LUT or whatever to 10 bit 4K files.
The solution is create Proxies in Premiere, not essential but I tend to do it if going to 1/4 res still doesn't help much.
Not used Resolve for a long time.

Reactions: MGVision
I use a 2018 XPS15 (i7, upgraded to 32gb ram and 2 TB SSD). It handles 4k videos with no issues.

Its the Geforce 1050Ti Max Q.

But video card is barely used for video, has very little effect unless you're rendering special effects. Video work is almost entirely CPU based.

Its the Geforce 1050Ti Max Q.

But video card is barely used for video, has very little effect unless you're rendering special effects. Video work is almost entirely CPU based.
Wow I always thought that graphic card is most important for video projects.
Anyway here in Poland where I live dell xps 15 cost almost 3000$ so that is definitely to much for me.
I found Dell Inspiron g5 i7 8750h which cost only 1800$
It have gtx 1060 max Q 6 gb 32 gb ram and also 4 k display.
Can you tell me what is your battery life on XP’s 15?
4 k display really makes a difference?

Last edited:
Battery life depends on usage. General web use i can get 8 hours or so on mine.

As for 4k and touch screen, personally i wouldnt bother.
On a 15" display you really cant see 4k detail usefully and touch is pointless.

I am building new rig now - amd 5700xt -$399, amd ryzen cpu 3900x -$499, x570 mobo - $200, sabrent s2 1tb drive -$100.
Memory i already have. Should be fast.

Well i decided to ditch laptop and want to build PC.
Still i dont want to spend much money so i will decide for rtx 2060 6gb/rtx2060 super 8 gb/rtx 2070 8gb.
Now i am wondering about CPU. Do i really I need i7? Can i get i5? For example i have here extremely cheap i5 9400f with 6 cores 2,9 ghz-4,1 ghz or Ryzen 5 2600X also with 6 cores 3,6 ghz-4,2.

Still i dont want to spend much money so i will decide for rtx 2060 6gb/rtx2060 super 8 gb/rtx 2070 8gb.
Now i am wondering about CPU. Do i really I need i7? Can i get i5? For example i have here extremely cheap i5 9400f with 6 cores 2,9 ghz-4,1 ghz or Ryzen 5 2600X also with 6 cores 3,6 ghz-4,2.
you need to read this link very carefully. i think one item that is important - card needs to have min 8gb RAM. that is why i went with 5700xt which if cheaper and faster than nvidia - but - who knows.
it is not yet enough reviews out there about it. some say it is too loud under load - i am not concerned about that, but, who knows.

for cpu i went with ryzen 3900x as of today intel has anything to beat that. 3800x is $100 cheaper and still stupid fast. cpu stil did not arrive, so, i am waiting. should be here Friday.

Wow this 5700 xt is much cheaper and very close to rtx 2070 super in terms of performance. Thanks!

The OP mentions using Resolve, so there's going to be some processing going on (not just playing of a video). Rendering is part of the OPs main requirements (with FX or not).

When I render in Resolve, I watch the Windows Task Manager Performance pane in see what's being used (CPU, GPU, system memory, GPU memory). Even if I'm not using FX, I find that I'm constantly running out of GPU memory on this here desktop, which only has 4GB. My laptop has 6GB GPU memory and it all gets used during rendering. I wish the desktop had 8GB. Out on the Black Magic forums, they recommend having at least 8GB and if you're using any of the FX in Resolve, a dual GPU is nice.

And if you're doing h.265, the GPU type is fairly important (see the NVIDIA specs for which architecture is required for hardware based h.265 encode/decode).

I really don't think that video processing/rendering/encode-decode is mostly system CPU based. But I'm still fairly new and willing to learn more, so feel free to correct me where I have any wrong impressions.

Chris

Depends on the output codec but most of it is CPU based for actual rendering. 8th gen+ of intel CPUs have built in support for h.265 10 bit and so on. They're significantly faster.

On most renderings from Premiere if im output in h.264 the GPU goes near zero whereas CPU does it all. The GPU is used if there are effects and so on and for previewing in-programme but thats about it.

A good new CPU with a metric ton of RAM is most useful.

That said, its straying off topic, the 2018 XPS15 worked fine, the 2019 will as well.

Smart choice, IMO.

What's your budget? I would happy put one together for you on PCPartPicker.

As for CPU I'd suggest something from the Ryzen 3000 series - they have surpassed Intel in IPC and are the no-brainer value choices at least until next year when Intel changes their value proposition.

Something like this would be huge performance for the dollar with quality components and maximum manufacturer warranty on parts. It'll also be extremely quiet. Then buy a $5 Windows 10 key on Ebay:

Could add a better GPU if you wanted, up to you. Could also save some money on the CPU but the 3900X is just so tempting because performance per dollar is off the charts.

Last edited:
Smart choice, IMO.

What's your budget? I would happy put one together for you on PCPartPicker.

As for CPU I'd suggest something from the Ryzen 3000 series - they have surpassed Intel in IPC and are the no-brainer value choices at least until next year when Intel changes their value proposition.

Something like this would be huge performance for the dollar with quality components and maximum manufacturer warranty on parts. It'll also be extremely quiet. Then buy a $5 Windows 10 key on Ebay:

Could add a better GPU if you wanted, up to you. Could also save some money on the CPU but the 3900X is just so tempting because performance per dollar is off the charts.
My budget doesn't matter cuz i wish i could have those prices in Poland. Sad part is that here where i live we are earning minimun 3 times less then people in America and we have like 20 % more expensive computer components. For example in Poland ryzen 3900X cost more then 600$ :)
Atm i am thinking about ryzen 3600 as for CPU and for GPU rtx2070 super/ radeon 5700xt.
As for monitor i want to buy this 4k 27 inch Philips 276E8VJSB

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake