DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

descent cannot be stopped by appling up throttle during forced landing

What exactly happened? Please give a context and, if available, the flight log(s). With only the headly, it is impossible to confirm or deny anything.

What exactly happened? Please give a context and, if available, the flight log(s). With only the headly, it is impossible to confirm or deny anything.
It's not my drone so no log is available.

The battery level dropped to 10% during RTH and forced landing started. Only the elevator and aileron controls were effective but not the throttle. This is a bad because my M2P has run into situations that required the descent to be stopped or it would have end up in the water.

Last edited:
From the manual (so looks like it’s not the same as the MA)

Low Battery RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to the point that the safe return of the aircraft may be affected. Return home or land the aircraft immediately when prompted.
DJI Fly displays a warning when the battery level is low. The aircraft will automatically return to the Home Point if no action is taken after a 10 second countdown.
The user can cancel RTH by pressing the RTH button or Flight Pause button on the remote controller. If RTH is cancelled following a low battery level warning, the Intelligent Flight Battery may not have enough power for the aircraft to land safely, which may lead to the aircraft crashing or being lost.
The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process.

From the manual (so looks like it’s not the same as the MA)

Low Battery RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to the point that the safe return of the aircraft may be affected. Return home or land the aircraft immediately when prompted.
DJI Fly displays a warning when the battery level is low. The aircraft will automatically return to the Home Point if no action is taken after a 10 second countdown.
The user can cancel RTH by pressing the RTH button or Flight Pause button on the remote controller. If RTH is cancelled following a low battery level warning, the Intelligent Flight Battery may not have enough power for the aircraft to land safely, which may lead to the aircraft crashing or being lost.
The aircraft will land automatically if the current battery level can only support the aircraft long enough to descend from its current altitude. Auto landing cannot be canceled but the remote controller can be used to alter the direction of the aircraft during the landing process.

The manual of my M2P says exactly the same thing but the descent can be arrested by applying up throttle during forced landing. It has saved the drone at least once.

Reactions: dawgpilot
This is a bad because my M2P has run into situations that required the descent to be stopped or it would have end up in the water.
Don't allow your drone to run into those situations.
If you were flying a real plane, you wouldn't try to fly until there was only 5% left in the tank.
Aim to land with a comfortable safety margin.

If it would be possible to ascend during a forced landing in the case it is because of the battery is to low there are a chance that the drone will just stop and fall down uncontrolled.

Even if it would be good to be able to save the drone from landing in water, that possibility can also be misjudged (or sometimes misused) to cram out just a few 100 metres in an attempt to get it home and then the drone would uncontrolled fall down and perhaps create a serious accident.

If it would be possible to ascend during a forced landing in the case it is because of the battery is to low there are a chance that the drone will just stop and fall down uncontrolled.

Even if it would be good to be able to save the drone from landing in water, that possibility can also be misjudged (or sometimes misused) to cram out just a few 100 metres in an attempt to get it home and then the drone would uncontrolled fall down and perhaps create a serious accident.

Yes but as there has been reports that this cannot be done on MA2 and I don't have the drone. I would like to know if the report is true.

If you were flying a real plane, you wouldn't try to fly until there was only 5% left in the tank.
Excellent advice. It is puzzling that with almost 30 minutes of flight time per battery that people keep running these expensive drones into these dangerous situations! Use common sense and don't get into these situations. ?

Yes but as there has been reports that this cannot be done on MA2 and I don't have the drone. I would like to know if the report is true.

It would be a good thing if it would be impossible to ascend (or break/level out/ the descent) when on forced landing due to battery.

Reactions: Prismatic
So, as I said, the manual says it is NOT possible to ascend when in Low Battery RTH and have entere the Auto Landing phase, but you can control its direction. You can cancel RTH BEFORE it commences Auto Landing, but of course you run the risk of battery depletion and crashing.

It's not my drone so no log is available.

The battery level dropped to 10% during RTH and forced landing started. Only the elevator and aileron controls were effective but not the throttle. This is a bad because my M2P has run into situations that required the descent to be stopped or it would have end up in the water.

These situations are totally avoidable. At 20 percent my drone is always within 400 ft.

Reactions: Dbez1
It looks like these reports are not correct; see below post

It looks like these reports are not correct; see below post
If this is the case, and I’m not disputing it, then the manual is wrong because that is what I was quoting from.

If this is the case, and I’m not disputing it, then the manual is wrong because that is what I was quoting from.
I guess we will have to wait for this to be confirmed by others. But flight logs don't lie, so it looks like DJI left out a minor bit of info from the manual. We will know for sure soon, if it is one way or the other.

On a somewhat related subject; it is possible to disable forced landing on critical battery in the other Mavics (not sure about the Mini) by editing the battery parameters with DJI Assistant 2 (v 1.1.2). Does anyone know if this is possible for the MA2?

You definitely can increase altitude in Critical landing; it just continues to land the moment you let go of the stick. The manual states you can change direction; that can include up and down if you take the language at face value.
I increased altitude the other day when it was trying to land in a field during critical battery landing and I had to raise it over a hedge to get it back into my back garden in my battery test video at 5:50 in the video. Look at the flight logs below at the time of 24m12s; I start to increase altitude again.
Cheers,
Ian
Critical landing ascent.png

Can anyone confirm this pls ? This behavior is different from that of M2.
You can continue to ascend and maneuver until one of the four cells drops below 3.0V, which is well below 0% battery, just like on the Mavic 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: boblui
If you fly for a low-budget airline, you might be forced to fly under those conditions...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BHU