DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

My Mavic air II crashed

Dmascot

Reactions
My flight started with an odd battery firmware request. I had already used that battery a few times. I upgradedThe firmware but when I started flying I noticed my gimbal was not moving smoothly but stuttering. I brought it home and did a gimbal calibration. I flew it again and keeped it nearby within 500 feet. At 15 percent battery I tried bringing it home with return to home it started to slowly return to home but not at its normal speed. I pressed forward on the right stick to pickup speed when I got a landing warning. I turned off return to home and pushed up on the left stick to cancel the landing. That wasn’t working and my attempts to fly home with full throttle on the right stick wasn’t working either. The drone was moving very slowly and not responding to my controls. It finally came down into some trees breaking my gimbal. When it landed I still had 10% battery. I uploaded my telemetry and I will call DJI tomorrow if they are in. I think there was obviously something wrong with the drone. Do I have any chance of getting some help from DJI? I don’t have Care Refresh on this bird, only on my mini.

I think there was obviously something wrong with the drone. Do I have any chance of getting some help from DJI?
Post your flight data here and get some idea of what the issue might have been.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Do I have any chance of getting some help from DJI?
Post your log and we can take a look.

And if you haven't done so already, take a look at the RTH section of the Mavic Air 2 manual. It's quite different than other Mavic models.

Sorry for your crash but I'm sure the guys/gals on here can help you figure it out.

Below is the link to my telemetry. I was also trying to use the tracking on this flight, and I couldn’t get that to work either. It worked in the past without a problem. I stopped trying to track a boat at 14% power and at that point is where my sticks were not working correctly. That’s when I tried RTH, but that didn’t work right either. I noticed in Air Data my sticks are sitting in the neutral position after I turned off RTH when I know I was pressing them hard. There were all kinds of error messages at the end.
here’s the link to Airdata.

Unfortunately I don't think there is any mystery here. The behavior that you described arose because you left it so late to engage RTH at 394 s.. At that point the battery level was only 13%, and the aircraft was at a height of 25 m with an RTH height of 76 m. By the time it had climbed to 76 m the battery was down to 11%, which was the smart battery autoland level, and so it immediately switched to autoland. That cannot be cancelled. Your stick inputs resulted in some progress back towards home, but could not override the low battery autoland.

Battery.png

I'm afraid that was entirely pilot error.

Well dam. Wish I didn’t hit the return To home. My Mavic Mini can Fly without a problem at 13% battery. Does anyone know of a good repair shop?

Well dam. Wish I didn’t hit the return To home. My Mavic Mini can Fly without a problem at 13% battery. Does anyone know of a good repair shop?

The Mini uses exactly the same flight algorithms - it would have behaved the same in that situation.

Reactions: SouthButNotOut
So it is confirmed then; pushing throttle up has no bearing on the autoland once it has commenced in the MA2? In the other Mavics, it is possible to fight autoland till the battery dies.

So it is confirmed then; pushing throttle up has no bearing on the autoland once it has commenced in the MA2? In the other Mavics, it is possible to fight autoland till the battery dies.
It works in the same way for the MA2 according to the log ...

Every time max throttle was used during the autoland, which was initiated at 11% battery, the AC ascended with approx 1m/s. Furthermore every time max elevator was used the AC came up to approx 5,5m/s heading speed. This is how my MA1 behaves ...

The main mistake here, as said earlier the battery drained when ascending to RTH height ... but also that it wasn't any consistent "fight" with the throttle to stop the descent + equal non consistent elevator input to make way home.

1590312008572.png

It works in the same way for the MA2 according to the log ...

Every time max throttle was used during the autoland, which was initiated at 11% battery, the AC ascended with approx 1m/s. Furthermore every time max elevator was used the AC came up to approx 5,5m/s heading speed. This is how my MA1 behaves ...

The main mistake here, as said earlier the battery drained when ascending to RTH height ... but also that it wasn't any consistent "fight" with the throttle to stop the descent + equal non consistent elevator input to make way home.

View attachment 102347
Thanks @slup. I was reading the below thread and hence why I asked the question
Seems to be some conflicting assertions being made (which is to be expected with a new bird I guess).

The Mini uses exactly the same flight algorithms - it would have behaved the same in that situation.

Is this confirmed? I’m asking because I too got the feeling the MA2 is much more likely to land on its own than the mini. When i was taking a timelapse with my mini i left it above my house until 6% and then landed it manually. However, the MA2 seems to initiate the unstoppable auto landing at 10%

Is this confirmed? I’m asking because I too got the feeling the MA2 is much more likely to land on its own than the mini. When i was taking a timelapse with my mini i left it above my house until 6% and then landed it manually. However, the MA2 seems to initiate the unstoppable auto landing at 10%
First of all, the Autoland % is height dependent ... but what seems to differ, at least between the Mini, the MA1 & MA2 is the lowest threshold %. Have placed the marker in below charts at 45m height ... note the difference between the models in the blue graph ... also note the lowest value for that graph near ground.

The Mini seems to have 5% (6% at 45m)
1590323975315.png

The MA1 seems to have 10% (11% at 45m)
1590324029827.png

And the MA2 also 10% (10% at 45m)
1590324078375.png

@slup, but isn't it (also) the case that all Mavics will initiate autolanding when battery percentage reaches 10%; irrespective of height?

According to the logs ... apparently not for the Mini.

The autoland level on the Mini starts at 5% and increases with height. All the other models I've looked at start at 10% and increase with height. That may be set differently due to the completely different battery chemistry in the Mini.

I don't know what you mean by "more likely to land on its own". This is not based on probabilities - autoland is initiated when the battery level falls below the computed autoland level, which is simply a function of height above the takeoff point in the form 10 + kh. You can see that happen in the graph in post #6.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929