DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Determining altitude at which a shot is taken?

Photo guy

Reactions
A buddy and I were discussing how to determine the altitude at which a particular shot was taken. Is there any way to find that out. All we get is normal EXIF data. No indication of altitude. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

A buddy and I were discussing how to determine the altitude at which a particular shot was taken. Is there any way to find that out. All we get is normal EXIF data. No indication of altitude. Anyone know? Thanks in advance.
How about on a PC?
On any computer.
But be aware that in the metadata there are two heights, but with many viewers you will only see one of them.
One is the height you see on the screen (Relative Altitude), the other is a nominal (and probably incorrect) height above sea level (Absolute Altitude).
The heights will be in metres.
i-35TGrS4.jpg

For my Spark images it's in the EXIF data near the bottom in the GPS section. It gives altitude above takeoff point. If you need to know elevation at takeoff point use a GPS app on your phone.

If you're having trouble seeing the meta data for photos, there are online exif data viewers, though they have the disadvantage of having to upload the photo file.

Here's one that works well and displays both altitudes.

Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
Preview shows only one height (above sea level). So on a Mac you'd need another program to read the relative altitude.
Just open the compass app on the iPhone. If it's an area you've already left, Google Earth can get you the ground level.

On any computer.
But be aware that in the metadata there are two heights, but with many viewers you will only see one of them.
One is the height you see on the screen (Relative Altitude), the other is a nominal (and probably incorrect) height above sea level (Absolute Altitude).
The heights will be in metres.
i-35TGrS4.jpg
Would you mind sharing what app you are using to view EXIF data? Mine only shows Absolute Altitude. Thank you.

Would you mind sharing what app you are using to view EXIF data? Mine only shows Absolute Altitude. Thank you.
Irfanview shows the exif data for photos. It's also a good basic viewer and editor.
www.Ifanview.com
PC only, no IOS

From the top menu, select Image | Information and then click the "EXIF info" button that appears in the pop-up box.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard