DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Detour Mode

ToddCarey

FAA Part 107 Certified
Premium Pilot
Reactions
I noted when flying last week my screen suddenly had a warning stating "braking now, return sticks to mid point, then continue flying". My first thought was what???, I double checked my altitude and I was at 157 feet up in an area with palm trees (nothing bigger than 60 feet high). I paused for a second, and then continued to move on. I got another announcement "mode changed to detour". It let me continue on in the "detour mode".

I suspect the sensors must have sensed a bird or something?? I did not see anything on the screen, and nothing can be seen from the video. It stayed in Detour Mode for several minutes until I got nervous and set it to RTH.

I was at the far edge of a class D space, and was restricted to less than 200 ft in altitude. It was bright, but i had a polorized ND16 filter on the camera.

... It was bright, but i had a polorized ND16 filter on the camera.
The main camera is not used for obstacle detection. The smaller ones are and a low sun or sun reflected off water can cause a false obstacle detection and cause breaking. You may need to turn off sensors or change angle to the sun to continue.

Not sure how it works on the M2P, with their added sensors, but on the MP/MPP the main obstacle detection sensors are on the front so it would sometimes trigger a false obstacle detection and stop if flying toward a low sun. Reflected sun on water made it worse since the nose of the MP would point down a bit in forward motion. I guess it will take a little time to determine what causes a false positive for the M2P/M2Z.

To rule out a false detection you could disable the sensors and see if it still happens.

Reactions: JThalheimer
Surprised no more comments on this. Ran into this detour mode tonight for the first time in flying. Took off, home point established, app crashed, restarted, all good. Found out when switching from one speed to the next the drone would stop moving forward. It would not start again until I put the right stick in the center and then moved forward again. I did this several time. See no detour in the air 2 manual. This has never happened before

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98