DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I just destroy my gimbal? (again)

Kazzaaz

Reactions
Hi y'all.

I recently bought a Mavic Pro used. (I'm sure no DJI warranty/care is still valid)

After a nasty crash on the first day, I had to replace the gimbal and one of the arms, which ran me about 500 dollars.

So, much to my horror, I had a small collision today with a tree. The drone wasn't more than a few feet in the air and wasn't expecting anything more than maybe a broken prop.

But no, my gimbal seems to be hanging by a thread AGAIN. I am absolutely reeling and cannot afford to have this repaired again.

IMG_0552.JPGIMG_0555.JPGIMG_0553.JPGIMG_0554.JPG

It seems the majority of the gimbal is intact, and the small piece holding it to its compartment broke off. Is this something that can be fixed easily, or is this a shot gimbal? If fixable, what parts appear to be broken?

Thanks!

Gimbal plate is broken, that might be all. Be VERY careful when handling it, otherwise the silver or black cable can also break.

If all that is broken is the gimbal plate, thats a $15 part plus labor.

Reactions: Mossiback
Gimbal plate is broken, that might be all. Be VERY careful when handling it, otherwise the silver or black cable can also break.

If all that is broken is the gimbal plate, thats a $15 part plus labor.

Great to hear it might not be the calamity I had thought. Is this an easily replaceable part, and if so, where does the community recommend to source this part? I'd really love to be able to fix it myself and save on the labor / time away from flying!

I would suggest flying a bit moor careful. Remember that your flying at least a thousand bucks up in the air, I treat my mavic like a baby. If it even goes near any trees iimmediatly let go of the controls and it will hover, until I find a sure way to get away from the trees. 2nd crash says a lot about your flying skills

Reactions: Kilrah
I would suggest flying a bit moor careful. Remember that your flying at least a thousand bucks up in the air, I treat my mavic like a baby. If it even goes near any trees iimmediatly let go of the controls and it will hover, until I find a sure way to get away from the trees. 2nd crash says a lot about your flying skills

Agree wholeheartedly in respect to being careful. I bought the Mavic Pro because I wanted to get into aerial photography - so when I fly the first thing I usually do is get the drone up high above and away from any obstacles such as trees and power lines. After that, it's all about setting up the shot if I'm doing still photography or flying in a straight line adjacent to a geographical feature such as a headland or lake. The QuickShots and Tracking operations are also easy and relatively safe to use.

In terms of fast-tracking my manual flying skills, I will probably look at getting one of those inexpensive free-style drones which are generally fairly robust when it comes to crashes. Most are also easy to fix yourself and the spare parts don't cost an arm and a leg like the DJI stuff.

I crashed this spring and had to replace gimbal plate as well. It's a VERY touchy procedure but can definitely be done yourself. Just shrink down your hands to 50% size before starting. There is a good video on youtube showing the whole process. There's very slow internet where I am otherwise I'd find it and link it for you.

In my case, it fixed most of the problems from the crash, until today when my gimbal is acting up on vacation :( I'll not hijack your post with that though.) My point is, be glad one of the repairs you need to do is a nice, straight-forward (if not complicated and intricate) physical problem, that can be done cheaply.

Hi y'all.

I recently bought a Mavic Pro used. (I'm sure no DJI warranty/care is still valid)

After a nasty crash on the first day, I had to replace the gimbal and one of the arms, which ran me about 500 dollars.

So, much to my horror, I had a small collision today with a tree. The drone wasn't more than a few feet in the air and wasn't expecting anything more than maybe a broken prop.

But no, my gimbal seems to be hanging by a thread AGAIN. I am absolutely reeling and cannot afford to have this repaired again.

View attachment 53059View attachment 53061View attachment 53060View attachment 53057

It seems the majority of the gimbal is intact, and the small piece holding it to its compartment broke off. Is this something that can be fixed easily, or is this a shot gimbal? If fixable, what parts appear to be broken?

Thanks!

You can buy the gimbal and camera assembly complete with cables for a tad under $100 US, and the entire camera and lens module for under $15 on eBay. If the gimbal is still malfunction and just a busted camera or lens, you can replace the module without disassembling the gimbal or even removing the assembly from the body IF you're careful!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast