DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did ND filters cause this??

Natehighup

Reactions
I have had my mini 2 for almost exactly 2 months when I received ND filters as a gift (sunny life), I’m always really careful when installing them, after several flights I got the unable to calibrate gimbal message.
I sent it to DJI and they replaced the Gimbal Axis Arm Module under warranty, is it just a coincidence that it started when I used ND filters? Anyone have this?
Just a side question, what is that part? The whole assembly minus camera?

I have had my mini 2 for almost exactly 2 months when I received ND filters as a gift (sunny life), I’m always really careful when installing them, after several flights I got the unable to calibrate gimbal message.
I sent it to DJI and they replaced the Gimbal Axis Arm Module under warranty, is it just a coincidence that it started when I used ND filters? Anyone have this?
Hello Natehighup:

I've assumed that DJI does not have confidence in the Mini 2 gimbal's ability to handle the added mass of filters. I made that assumption because I don't think they sell filters for the Mini 2 while they do sell filters for other drones. However, many of our colleagues here on the forum seem happy with the performance of the Mini 2 with filters so my assumption could be entirely baseless. I fly mine without filters.

Howard

Reactions: Gagey52 and cc_jim
I have been using Sunnylife ND filters on and off first my Mavic Mini and now the Mini 2 and have experienced no problems whatsoever with the gimbal. Since the mini 2 (end the Mini) has a fixed aperture of f2.8 it's essential to be able to use ND filters in manual mode to be able to run a shutterspeed that is double the framerate for that cinematic look. On a clear sunny day I can lock the shutter/framerate at 60/30 and then adjust the ISO as needed to achieve correct exposure,

I used a Polarizing Lens on one of my DJI drones several months back. It wasn't specifically made for that drone. It worked fine for a few days, but then I got the Gimbal Error. I took the filter off, then the gimbal worked normally. Apparently, the Lens was slightly too heavy and caused the gimbal motors to fail.

I fly most of the time with filter. No problem (so far)

Flying mine with an ND filter... no problems currently. How many hours did you fly your mini with the filter attached?

Hello Natehighup:

I've assumed that DJI does not have confidence in the Mini 2 gimbal's ability to handle the added mass of filters. I made that assumption because I don't think they sell filters for the Mini 2 while they do sell filters for other drones. However, many of our colleagues here on the forum seem happy with the performance of the Mini 2 with filters so my assumption could be entirely baseless. I fly mine without filters.

Howard
They do not sell filters for it as filter will put it over its 250g weight limit. In many countries under 250g you don't need a license.
If the nd filter was always installed with power off it should not cause issue. Installing it with drone on causes errors

filter will put it over its 250g weight limit
I do not think that is why DJI does not offer filters for the Mini 2. As some of the aftermarket filters claim to be under a gram. But even if they were 5-10 grams, they would not put the Mini 2 over 250gm.

DJI's filters for the Air 2S are 1.7 grams each, even with those, the Mini 2 would be nowhere near 250gm.

I do not think that is why DJI does not offer filters for the Mini 2. As some of the aftermarket filters claim to be under a gram. But even if they were 5-10 grams, they would not put the Mini 2 over 250gm.
I've just noticed that mm2 is 242g . That leaves some room to play. mm was 249g and even 1g would make it over as it has to be under 250g
Drone pilots must carry a valid drone pilot certificate and only fly drones that are marked and registered. If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone or get a drone pilot certificate.

Reactions: DJayI
I've just noticed that mm2 is 242g
Yes, the different types of batteries used in the Mini 1 made it heavier. The Mini 2 battery is a different chemistry and is significantly lighter. Using the Mini 1 batteries in the Mini 2 will push it over 250g.
I have seen a range on the Mini 2's weight as reported by users. Somewhere between 238g and 242g. Not sure why the variation. Mine comes in at 242g with some DIY gear extenders installed that weigh just under 4 grams. As can be seen in this photo, maybe the weight variation comes from the lack of using a precision scale. ?

"If you are flying a drone that is less than 250 grams, you do not need to register the drone..."

We have the same rule here(US), under 250g and registration is not required. However, I think one needs a pilot certificate(Part 107) only if they use their drone for commercial purposes or to further a business, regardless of weight(to a point).

Weigh.jpg

They do not sell filters for it as filter will put it over its 250g weight limit. In many countries under 250g you don't need a license.
If the nd filter was always installed with power off it should not cause issue. Installing it with drone on causes errors
Are you serious? A ND filter weighs next to nothing, less than 1 gram. My MINI 2 weighs exactly 239 gram. AOW comes to 239,5 gram INCLUDING HD filter. (at this moment 10 hours flying with ND and NO problems what so ever.)

Are you serious? A ND filter weighs next to nothing, less than 1 gram. My MINI 2 weighs exactly 239 gram. AOW comes to 239,5 gram INCLUDING HD filter. (at this moment 10 hours flying with ND and NO problems what so ever.)
I wrote that thinking of mm . Did not realize that mm2 is so much lighter. So no clue why wouldn't they offer it for mm2. I went straight to ma2 after my mini 1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird