DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did somebody say, "idiot?? '

My rule is 2 hours bottle to throttle, but I have a really fast metabolism.
I added a BAC monitor to my controller tho. Won't turn on without a puff puff.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Like a fool yesterday, I had a belly full of beer and then decided to climb a ladder onto the roof (uh oh) and then attempted to fly my MP in the neighborhood.
I didn't get 20 feet before I got all tangled up in a pear tree's leafless branches that I couldnt see because it was at sunset...
It fell to the ground... About 15 feet up onto some (thankfully) plush grass...
It had a broken prop.. I replaced all 4, of course. Visually everything looked great and this morning at work I tried to fly it at 5 am and it seemed fine... I got a "not enough light" warning but that's to be expected.
I'll fly it this afternoon but I'm hoping everything is good. I've definitely learned my lesson.
Two big mistakes!
1) If you had been living in New Zealand, or Australia, the pear tree would not have been "leafless". Your MP would have been a lot better protected during its entanglement.
2) At least at 5:00am here there might have been a good few opportunities for "dawn" photographs - maybe a partridge sitting in your pear tree! :cool:Thumbswayup

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Keep your thoughts, and words, it a little more light hearted o_O
I've got no problem giving the thumbs up to responsibility when it comes to consuming alcohol.
Unfortunately, in my "day job" I do get to see the banged up bodies, as well as too many "status 0s" because the time between bottle and throttle has been completely ignored - be it a bike, motorbike, car, truck, locomotive, boat, ski, jet-ski, surfboard, glider, hang-glider or planes of all sizes. I haven't included UAVs, but I think you might get my drift!
There is probably very, very few countries left in the world where there are not quite clear rules (read laws) applying to the consumption of alcohol and being responsible for your actions - especially when there is potential for putting the life of another person at risk.
I want to enjoy flying my UAVs - and am more than happy to do so within the rules of my country. It does my head in though, when the government of this country considers it necessary to "tighten" up the law around flying a UAV here, because of the moronic behaviour of a few irresponsible people playing at being a UAV pilot anywhere up to 20,000 kilometres away.

I concur. You're an idiot.

*grammar correction

;)

I disagree

it should have been "I concur, you're an idiot"

The grammar is fine, I just missed the punctuation mark.
I'm always willing to learn so why did I need a full stop when the use of a comma is ok.
:)

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Hmm... You're RIGHT. Wink
I was just thinking the grammar was wrong and these were your options:
1) I concur that you're an idiot.
2) I concur. You're an idiot.
3) I concur you're an idiot.
4) I concur that you're an idiot
VS.
1) I concur, youre an idiot

Just seems to like the real idiocy is the language here. Lol

Reactions: JDawg
idiot - a stupid person, a person of low intelligence

moron - a very stupid person

I vote for moron. ;)

Mark

idiot - a stupid person, a person of low intelligence

moron - a very stupid person

I vote for moron. ;)

Mark
You got that backwards- common misconception. A moron has 10 years on an idiot (idiot has the mental capacity of an average 2 year old child).

Imbecible sits somewhere in the middle, I think about 6 or 7 year old from memory.

Reactions: Photo Booth
Pilots like you are the reason that the authorities and the general public are turning against the drone community.

Like a fool yesterday, I had a belly full of beer and then decided to climb a ladder onto the roof (uh oh) and then attempted to fly my MP in the neighborhood.
I didn't get 20 feet before I got all tangled up in a pear tree's leafless branches that I couldnt see because it was at sunset...
It fell to the ground... About 15 feet up onto some (thankfully) plush grass...
It had a broken prop.. I replaced all 4, of course. Visually everything looked great and this morning at work I tried to fly it at 5 am and it seemed fine... I got a "not enough light" warning but that's to be expected.
I'll fly it this afternoon but I'm hoping everything is good. I've definitely learned my lesson.
Hope you didn't spill any beer...that sir would be "Alcohol Abuse" lol...be safe, fly smart

Well we all learn as we go through life.
Glad you were not hurt. Sounds like minimum damage. So lesson learned, hit memory button and continue with life. And flying of course!

Definitely could have (probably should have) fallen off the roof. Grr..
I only had a couple beers but whatever. Not a good decision.
I don't know why I chose to fly.. It will never happen again, I know that.
After a successful 3 min trial this morning at 440am on the jobsite and a 15 min jaunt moments ago after work, all seems well. *fingers crossed *
The only damage I can spot (besides the 4 props I replaced) is a tiny rip on part of the skin on one leg. The gimbal/camera looks like it always has.. Pristine.
I am so lucky (I don't know why but thank you Drone Gods) and I'll chalk all this up as experience and a lesson learned. Hmph!

Another piece of evidence that the first fatality in the presence of alcohol is Good Judgement...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+