DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did something stupid -- got away with it!

I notice the Air 2 batteries drain when the drone and RC is completely off.

I had a 100% charged battery, sat in the Air 2 for a few days with it never being turned on. Went to fly it yesterday and it powered on with 67%. WTF DJI?

Read your owners manual, they are designed to do that.

Reactions: BobbyLashley

That's not what the tech at my DJI store told me. He said there should be no battery drain at all when the battery sits in the drone with it off.

That's not what the tech at my DJI store told me. He said there should be no battery drain at all when the battery sits in the drone with it off.

Maybe the tech needs to read the manual?

Page 25, item #2.

I had a 100% charged battery, sat in the Air 2 for a few days with it never being turned on. Went to fly it yesterday and it powered on with 67%. WTF DJI?

It's hard on LIPO batteries to store them fully charged for long periods. The "smart" battery will take itself down to like 97% if left fully charged for a day, and to a proper storage level if left for a certain period.

I often charge batteries, figuring on going out later, then something happens and I don't go out. Then something delays me a few days. Then my batteries are dead. Not sure I'm using them quite as DJI intended :rolleyes:.

I figure, as fast as drone technology advances, that they'll still last longer than I'll be interested in them.

Expected behavior with the autodischarge. They will drain no matter what you do, including leave them in the charger, if you don’t do a new charge cycle.

So now one picked up that he flew 1KM away? LOL. Would think that was tad behond VLOS. :). As for teh battery, always charge them all at same time to be sure you don't run into this situation or one where you discovered you don't have a charged battery....can ruin a trip to go fly real fast.

Read the manual, It does that on purpose.

Reactions: Thomas B

Even if the battery wasn't in the AC it would have done that. The auto discharge brings the charge down to about 60%. I wouldn't call that dead though.

Ya maybe. I am checking the manual now.

It looks like I will transport and travel with my drone with all 3 batteries out until I turn it on. Not worth the drain.
It's hard on LIPO batteries to store them fully charged for long periods. The "smart" battery will take itself down to like 97% if left fully charged for a day, and to a proper storage level if left for a certain period.

I often charge batteries, figuring on going out later, then something happens and I don't go out. Then something delays me a few days. Then my batteries are dead. Not sure I'm using them quite as DJI intended :rolleyes:.

I figure, as fast as drone technology advances, that they'll still last longer than I'll be interested in them.

If that's the case, wouldn't it be a better idea to just leave all the batteries on the charger and remove it right before you plan on flying it? As opposed to taking it on and off the charger. I would think it would save the discharge cycles.

Don't DJI batteries only have something like a 700 discharge cycle life?

Expected behavior with the autodischarge. They will drain no matter what you do, including leave them in the charger, if you don’t do a new charge cycle.
Thanks, good to know this. Too bad they still drain when in the charger, otherwise I would just leave them in there all the time when in storage.

These are Li-Polymer batteries and I never did a complete 100% to 0% cycle on any of them. Close but not right now to 0%. Hopefully I still get peak battery life out of my 1 week old batteries,

So that makes me think that even though these batteries auto discharge from sitting unused, it's best to just charge them the day of or night before you plan on flying and not every couple of days. This way you are only using one discharge cycle and not several.

Reactions: Thomas B

So if you do a new charge cycle, then the auto drain will be stopped? Doesn't the new charge cycle have to be done literally the very first time that battery is used? Otherwise will it still be effective after the battery has been used one or two times?

So if you do a new charge cycle, then the auto drain will be stopped? Doesn't the new charge cycle have to be done literally the very first time that battery is used? Otherwise will it still be effective after the battery has been used one or two times?
When you put the batteries on your charger they will charge to max regardless of reason for charge depletion. They will then start a new auto-discharge cycle at the time specified in their programming.
Charging within 6-12 hours of flights is my method.

Having the charger maintain a constant full charge would be the worst thing for the batteries so it's a good thing the battery stops charging when full and not start charging again until removed from charger/hub.

As an example laptop batteries seem to deteriorate prematurely if left on constant charge, or if left uncharged for extended periods.

A

And how do I find this?? MA2

In the fly app.

Connect to fly. Then click the ... button in the top left.

Screenshot_20201220-144729.jpg

Select the About tab.
Screenshot_20201220-144741.jpg

And scroll down.

Screenshot_20201220-144748.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-144748.jpg
    Screenshot_20201220-144748.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: A.O.
Cool, thank you very much!! And the button is top right :oops:

Wow! I obsessively watch the battery level. Hopefully I don;t get complacent when I'm not all puckered up tightly flying in the future when I have more experience!!

Having the charger maintain a constant full charge would be the worst thing for the batteries so it's a good thing the battery stops charging when full and not start charging again until removed from charger/hub.

As an example laptop batteries seem to deteriorate prematurely if left on constant charge, or if left uncharged for extended periods.

Laptop batteries won't wear near as quick if plugged in 24/7 versus constantly draining it down to almost 0% everyday. I know tons of people who drain their laptop batteries daily because they never run it on AC power and in a year, their battery life is half what it was when new.

I have my powerhouse laptop at home plugged in 24/7 at my desk because it doesn't get moved around much, but I drain the battery once a month and the battery is still 98% after almost 2 years of use. Have always been told that if you have a laptop plugged in 24/7 to cycle it once a month.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drico