DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Difficult to see the phone's screen in daylight

I use the 7.5” Crystalsky and it’s great! I do add on my PolarPro hood often as it folds down to cover and protect the screen and it all still fits in my fitted hard case.
I just received mine. Hood? I have not had a chance to use it yet. I the reason I purchased it was because I thought that I did not need a good for the 7.5 crystal sky ultra bright.

I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I’m currently using it with my Samsung S9 phone and in bright daylight find it almost impossible to clearly see what’s happening with the camera on the phone’s screen. I intend to get a 10 inch tablet and I suppose the hood. Can someone suggest any other solutions so I can clearly see the screen? Are the hoods effective? I understand the racing goggles are nice but I don’t think I want to get into all of that. Thanks for any feedback.
Hoods ARE effective!

I live in Florida and have the same issue with bright sunlight and dim screens.
What I found helps:
1. Move into shade as much as possible, this works the best
2. Do not wear polarized sunglasses - they don't work well with phone/tablet screens
3. Wear a hat with a broad brim, this helps more than you would think. I can see how a hoodie would work as well, but I can't imagine wearing a hoodie in Florida and someone wearing a hoodie and flying a drone might look suspect ;)
4. Close one eye when you look up at the drone in the bright sky, then open it when you look at the screen

I tried a Samsung tablet with a hood and mount and all that, I still think my phone screen is brighter. The tablet screen is easier to read since it is larger, so that is a trade off between larger and brighter.

Reactions: Yvonne
I can second what blikesem said about the polarized sunglasses. If I can I try to park as close to where it is I'm going to fly and then hide in the shadow of my car to help block the sun.

I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I’m currently using it with my Samsung S9 phone and in bright daylight find it almost impossible to clearly see what’s happening with the camera on the phone’s screen. I intend to get a 10 inch tablet and I suppose the hood. Can someone suggest any other solutions so I can clearly see the screen? Are the hoods effective? I understand the racing goggles are nice but I don’t think I want to get into all of that. Thanks for any feedback.

I already went through the same unfortunate experience.
Consulting with DJI; I found out that samsung tablets on any screen size have a version 4.4 which is not suitable for the DJI app; these recommend a version 5.5 or higher, unfortunately the only option I found was an Ipod 4.4 Mini with a screen of 7.9
This has been my experience, I hope it serves, I would be interested to hear more comments on this topic
Thanks Adof from Argentina

You can use bifocal glasses with polarized clip-ons and cut out the area of the clip-ons where the close up lenses are. When you look up at the sky you are viewing through the polarized lenses and it is easy to see your drone. Your pupils don't contract because of the darker lenses. When you look down at the screen, you are viewing through the close-up part of the lens which is clear.bob2.jpg

where did you purchase these from?

I already went through the same unfortunate experience.
Consulting with DJI; I found out that samsung tablets on any screen size have a version 4.4 which is not suitable for the DJI app; these recommend a version 5.5 or higher, unfortunately the only option I found was an Ipod 4.4 Mini with a screen of 7.9
This has been my experience, I hope it serves, I would be interested to hear more comments on this topic
Thanks Adof from Argentina

You can use bifocal glasses with polarized clip-ons and cut out the area of the clip-ons where the close up lenses are. When you look up at the sky you are viewing through the polarized lenses and it is easy to see your drone. Your pupils don't contract because of the darker lenses. When you look down at the screen, you are viewing through the close-up part of the lens which is clear.
Brilliant idea!

I have tried several monitors including ipads and sunscreens of various types over the years. Sunscreens and hoods helped, but I found them clumsy to use and carry around.

I have finally settled on the Crystal Sky 7.85 ultrabright. This has been a vast improvement in my ability to see clearly what the camera on the drone sees. My first one had the dreaded burn out. This was replaced by DJI and for months now I have not had a problem of the CS burning out.

I recently bought the Smart Controller. I may not use it that much because the screen is relatively small and the 1000 nit screen is noticeable harder to see than the 2000 nit ultabright when out in bright sunshine. Bright sunshine is the norm where I live. It is nice to have the compactness and quick set up of the Smart Controller, but like most things in life there are trade offs.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I bought the DJI Smart Controller exactly for this reason. The screen is very bright and easy to see in all conditions. Plus no more hassle hooking up my phone to a controller.

You can use bifocal glasses with polarized clip-ons and cut out the area of the clip-ons where the close up lenses are. When you look up at the sky you are viewing through the polarized lenses and it is easy to see your drone. Your pupils don't contract because of the darker lenses. When you look down at the screen, you are viewing through the close-up part of the lens which is clear.View attachment 63738

Ahhhh - the height of Drone Fashion this season :p

Reactions: LivinLarge
I got a three pack of anti glare film for a laptop for ten bucks, and cut to fit my devices. It works great!
Supershieldz on Amazon

Attachments

• 15508518708148725464616408369092.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
Been flying for 18 months and the best accessory so far has been the 7.85 Crystalsky, no problems in sunlight.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis