DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Difficult to see the phone's screen in daylight

I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I’m currently using it with my Samsung S9 phone and in bright daylight find it almost impossible to clearly see what’s happening with the camera on the phone’s screen. I intend to get a 10 inch tablet and I suppose the hood. Can someone suggest any other solutions so I can clearly see the screen? Are the hoods effective? I understand the racing goggles are nice but I don’t think I want to get into all of that. Thanks for any feedback.
I have a foldable hood that is inepensive and works very well with my galaxy S8.

I just bought the Mavic 2 Pro. I’m currently using it with my Samsung S9 phone and in bright daylight find it almost impossible to clearly see what’s happening with the camera on the phone’s screen. I intend to get a 10 inch tablet and I suppose the hood. Can someone suggest any other solutions so I can clearly see the screen? Are the hoods effective? I understand the racing goggles are nice but I don’t think I want to get into all of that. Thanks for any feedback.
Yes, often a challenge. I use: Anti-refective screen on a mini 1, hood over it, and a large brimmed hat - which really does help. Also try finding an object to stand next to in the shade and of course
still compete view of the A/C. All items inexpensive. Even sit in the opened door of my van to obtain some shade.

So, how does that help your VLOS? Oh, hold on....
Not sure if that is sarc or not. LOL

I find that inside the car I can see the screen much better because it is not in direct sunlight plus it is 15F around here so I can also run the heater in the car. Plus I don't have that good of eye sight so the majority of the time the drone is out of my sight. As a private pilot, it is like flying in an actual plane. However, it is like flying looking out the front window only. Challenging.

The only thing affected in this kind of weather is the battery on the Mavic.

I had that exact same problem in the Arizona sun where I live. Had an iPhone 7, then went to the iPad Mini 4, then to an iPhone XS, and finally broke down and bought the 5.5 inch Crystal Sky monitor. Problem solved. All the brightness you could ask for.

Highest brightness, hood of some kind, anti reflective screen protector, and.....most importantly wear dark clothing or carry a dark apron you can put around your chest. Dark areas like forests are difficult to see, but controls and map are no problem. If you have sunglasses Or darkening glasses they have to go too.
Have fun in the sun! Nothing but slop here in the northeast USA! Yuk!!
Also polarizing sunglasses or regular clear polarized glass can darken the screen beyond just the tint on the glasses.

Last edited:
Is there a non reflective screen that can be applied to the phone or tablet?
At least on the iPhone mine is an 8plus there is an auto dim that can not be turned off with any of the settings. It is an auto protect feature when it sees too much sunlight or get hot. I’ve noticed mine looks fine and then switches dim. A tell is your brightness control does nothing after 1/2. I confirmed this with a programmer. Purchased an mini iPad, hoping that works better. Otherwise I think you have to stand in the shade or I use the goggles. Can’t see spending $600 on the dji screen. Paid $125 for the mini4 used.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I use a Hoodman Loupe for quick checks - it has a magnifier built in. Hoodman also sells a drone shade- on Amazon and B&H.

I use CS 7.85 with a PolarPro FlightDeck monitor mount and a DJI Crystalsky monitor hood. This is the quickest and easiest mount to set up or adjust that I have found. The hood above also folds down and becomes a screen protector an can be left installed (2 thumb tabs) or removed... it fits in any case with the hood folded.

FlightDeck - Monitor Mount | Mavic Remotes

CrystalSky Monitor Hood (5.5") - DJI Mobile Online Store (United States)

These are not the cheapest solutions, just the ones I use most after trying 4 different ones including a hybrid “customized” version.

I have an S9+ and had the same problem. I tried several hoods, and even made one by cutting up hoods that didn't work and gluing them together. Nothing worked as well as I wanted. I finally bought an ipad mini 4. It works great for the purpose. Even though the specs say that it isn't as bright as the s9+, it has some kind of anti-reflective property built in, that makes it much more usable. Personally, I recommend against getting a 10" tablet. With a tablet that big, you need to get a bracket to hold it. That makes the whole assembly rather large and awkward. The mini 4 fits nicely into the existing arms on an MP1 controller. Before I got the mini 4, I tried a 10" Samsung Tab E. That tablet just didn't have the processor speed to keep up with the camera image, even at 1080. The image would freeze and pixelate. The mini 4 works very well for flying my MP, now I just have to learn to use Apple devices ; ).

I use the Hoodman also and it works pretty well. But I wish there was a way to widen the cutout on the bottom for 'touch control' without risking damaging it.

Try 48inch diameter siesta sombrero?
Doctor warned stay out from solar rays because of psychotropic contraindiction so i realize canopy shading foliage transparent not interfere pairing, so i stay under canopy, very freebie, legs get tired standup though.
Regimen says stay in eye contact continually, but under cover, can't, so position yourself if can at canopy ledging where solar radiation boundarystarts.

I use two alternative set-ups. One involves mounting my ipad mini on a tripod and connecting to the controller with a 2m USB-lightning cable. Attached to the iPad is a full (two stage) Hoodman which I look down into. This pretty much cuts out all reflection, but the disadvantage is that it makes using the touch screen pretty clumsy.

A classier and more expensive option are the Epson Moverio BT-300 glasses which project the DJI Go screen right in the glasses themselves. The image is superb and glare removed by clipping on accessory dark glasses. The setup is much lighter than the tripod/Hoodman/iPad combination.

The disadvantage is that Epson use their own proprietary android touchpad instead of a phone/tablet. Their android version of Go 4 does not keep up with the normal android and iOS versions and many people find using the touchpad clumsy.

I find using a folding sunshade, the phone turned to full brightness & no sunglasses works pretty well. I do find occasionally it's hard to see but generally not too much of an issue. Thinking of going up to a tablet, I have a Galaxy Tab A, not sure how it will go but it will need a sunshade too I'm sure.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Just starting out with my MA.
I use a Samsung galaxy tab S3 with anti-Glare/Matte finish screen protector. I 3D printed four clips that slide onto the tablet. And they hold the Sunscreen Sun Hood that I cut out of cardboard. The screen side I spray painted black. The outside is white to keep the tablet from getting hot.
Clips are here :

Tablet Sun Shade/Hood Clip by Ohiojoe

I used masking tape on the outside of the screen to hold the clips on the cardboard.

Yes I had to use a tablet holder. Yes it takes a little longer to setup. Yes, I'm cheap.

If you can afford the Crystaleye this works very well since it is ultra right. Personally I bought the Hoodman, but I find it too cumbersome to use. Instead I look for a shade tree or I bring a clip on umbrella for my folding chair.

What we really need is a color reflective LCD monitor like the EC display on a Kindle reader but in color. With this technology the display becomes more readable the brighter the ambient. The technology from CLEARink Displays may bring this color video reflective capability a couple of years from now. For now, if you must use your phone an LCD screen works better than an OLED display since it has some reflectivity and is not emissive.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure