DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Digital zoom just added to Air 2. What about Mini?

Kyle76

Reactions
Digital zoom has been added to the Mavic Air 2 through a firmware update. This seems like something that could easily be added to the Mini as well. Do you think DJI will do this?

No, don't think so, the Mini is supposed to be an entry level drone.

You can crop a photo to increase magnification in post production
You can even crop video to achieve the zoom effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldGuy
Do you think DJI is going to continue adding functionality to the Air 2, which had two significant recent updates, but not add anything else to the Mini?

I think our MM is short handed in memory. Thats why they cant put more beef To our MM. ?

Do you think DJI is going to continue adding functionality to the Air 2, which had two significant recent updates, but not add anything else to the Mini?

Yes, I suspect they will continue to add functionality to the MA2 and leave the MM where it is so as to not canibalise the sales of the MA2 by making the MM too close in features.
The same thing happened to the Spark compared to the MA and the MP, when the MA came out they stopped adding features to the Spark.

DJI always want you to upgrade to the next model, it's marketing 101

Yes, I suspect they will continue to add functionality to the MA2 and leave the MM where it is so as to not canibalise the sales of the MA2 by making the MM too close in features.
The same thing happened to the Spark compared to the MA and the MP, when the MA came out they stopped adding features to the Spark.

DJI always want you to upgrade to the next model, it's marketing 101
The MA2 has 4K/60fps video, 48 MP HDR stills, obstacle avoidance, OcuSync, and it can fly in Level 5 winds. Isn't that reason enough to buy one or to upgrade from a Mini? Does it really make sense for DJI to treat the Mini as a competitor to the MA2 if they gave it a few software features that the Mini's actual competitors have?

Litchi beta for MM has added a couple new features, like Track. Probably the only way to upgrade for now.
Same for Dronelink.

Reactions: lowellton
No I don’t think they will do much more to the mini being a entry level drone.
But with litchi and other apps they will have some great features for the mini [emoji846]
I still think the mini is a great drone for anyone and it is so easy to fly and it makes great videos and photos
[emoji106]

Reactions: Fire260 and ff22
Digital zoom has been added to the Mavic Air 2 through a firmware update. This seems like something that could easily be added to the Mini as well. Do you think DJI will do this?
I would like to think that DJI would incorporate this into the Mini but of course this would, I’m certain mean a different lens kit for the mini.
If this were the case, I’m almost certain the weight of the camera for Mini would push it over the weight limit of 249 and we all what that means.

I would like to think that DJI would incorporate this into the Mini but of course this would, I’m certain mean a different lens kit for the mini.
If this were the case, I’m almost certain the weight of the camera for Mini would push it over the weight limit of 249 and we all what that means.
Digital zoom is a programming capability. It simply crops in on the sides of the image. Unless there are serious limitations to the firmware, it should be entirely possible and easily implemented as the Air 2 also uses the DJI Fly app.

Digital zoom is a programming capability. It simply crops in on the sides of the image. Unless there are serious limitations to the firmware, it should be entirely possible and easily implemented as the Air 2 also uses the DJI Fly app.
Yep, the Mini has a 4K sensor (4000x3000) and in 2.7K mode, it actually downsizes that full-width image to 2720x1530. If it had an option to instead take a 2720x1530 crop from the center of the image, it would "zoom in" without interpolation and loss of quality. Same for 1080p mode.

Yep, the Mini has a 4K sensor (4000x3000) and in 2.7K mode, it actually downsizes that full-width image to 2720x1530. If it had an option to instead take a 2720x1530 crop from the center of the image, it would "zoom in" without interpolation and loss of quality. Same for 1080p mode.
Your response begs another question. Could the Mini be made capable of 4K video? Sounds as if it could and DJI has intentionally limited it to 2.7k.

Your response begs another question. Could the Mini be made capable of 4K video? Sounds as if it could and DJI has intentionally limited it to 2.7k.
Although the sensor has the resolution, it's hard to say if the Mini has the processing power to write a 4K stream at about 100 Mb/s to the SD card -- that's quite a bit more than 2.7K 40 Mb/s. Heat could also be an issue.

Reactions: Kyle76
Just a note on the zoom feature. My pro drone is the M2z which has up to 8x zoom. I have to run the exposure at auto as the zoom in and out will drastically change the brightness and ruin most shots. For this reason I only run auto exp on the M2z

Just a note on the zoom feature. My pro drone is the M2z which has up to 8x zoom. I have to run the exposure at auto as the zoom in and out will drastically change the brightness and ruin most shots. For this reason I only run auto exp on the M2z

My M2Z has 2X optical and 2X digital zoom in 1080 30fps...how are you getting 8X?

Yes.They’re done with the mini.
Too many issues need to re-design

Although the sensor has the resolution, it's hard to say if the Mini has the processing power to write a 4K stream at about 100 Mb/s to the SD card -- that's quite a bit more than 2.7K 40 Mb/s. Heat could also be an issue.
Battery life slso

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tariqstudio