Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dilemma with MPP - opinions wanted

Brojon

Reactions
Quick synopsis:
Crashed Mavic pro.
Replaced with Mavic Pro Platinum
Meanwhile repaired MP which thankfully didn't fry electronics when dumped in muddy silt.
MPP starts malfunctioning with internal fan inoperative.
Amazon replaces MPP with new one received last night.
New MPP batteries don't seat well and generally make me a bit ambivalent towards its quality.

So - the idea popped into my head today - why not return it and invest in a Phantom 4 Pro since it has much better optics and better obstacle avoidance.
I am primarily a photographer and budding cinematographer so image quality is always a plus.
I guess I'm wondering why I would want two Mavics at this point...

Reactions: MadValley
Quick synopsis:
Crashed Mavic pro.
Meanwhile repaired MP which thankfully didn't fry electronics when dumped in muddy silt.
New MPP batteries don't seat well and generally make me a bit ambivalent towards its quality.

So - the idea popped into my head today - why not return it and invest in a Phantom 4 Pro since it has much better optics and better obstacle avoidance.
I am primarily a photographer and budding cinematographer so image quality is always a plus.
You make a valid point, I would rather have the larger sensor of the P4P than two Mavics.

Reactions: Brojon
You make a valid point, I would rather have the larger sensor of the P4P than two Mavics.
Wonder if anyone will put 'em on sale before Christmas...

The differences between the MP and MPP are so minor that I would not have both. If "image quality is always a plus" then dump the MPP (because you are questioning it's quality) and get the Phantom. You will be able to serve a wider use range with the different platforms and cameras.

Yeah, go with the upgrade. I'm looking at the same thing: my MP is a gateway drug. I flew an Inspire a couple years ago and came away from the experience weeping. I figure I'd learn on the Mavic (as it is a joy to fly in my brief experience), knock over a couple of liquor stores (oops, I mean arrange financing...), and then get the big bird.

Yeah, go with the upgrade. I'm looking at the same thing: my MP is a gateway drug. I flew an Inspire a couple years ago and came away from the experience weeping.

Oh yeah. I'd love an Inspire - I could get one local used but I always worry about inheriting problems.

I bought my MP for one reason and one reason only, it was compact. I needed the best camera I could muster in the smallest most reliable package and the MP was the only choice. I literally carry it everywhere I go. I have a small backpack that I have all of my every day carry stuff in, and my MP is part of my EDC now. The old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you goes the same for my UAS. Now after having it for 9 months I still have a need for that compact size, but I really want a bigger bird with more camera and the ability to fly atti. I worry about some of the places I fly the MP as I have heard others talk about signals bouncing off buildings, bridges, rock walls, etc... and the GPS throwing it out of whack. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I have intentionally tried to stay out of some of those areas where I know others have had an issue.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I bought my MP for one reason and one reason only, it was compact. I needed the best camera I could muster in the smallest most reliable package and the MP was the only choice. I literally carry it everywhere I go. I have a small backpack that I have all of my every day carry stuff in, and my MP is part of my EDC now. The old adage that the best camera is the one you have with you goes the same for my UAS. Now after having it for 9 months I still have a need for that compact size, but I really want a bigger bird with more camera and the ability to fly atti. I worry about some of the places I fly the MP as I have heard others talk about signals bouncing off buildings, bridges, rock walls, etc... and the GPS throwing it out of whack. It hasn't happened to me yet, but I have intentionally tried to stay out of some of those areas where I know others have had an issue.

Indeed same for me. I chose it for the ability to fit in a small pack inside my motorcycle top case.
My Mavic crashed because of some weirdness around a bridge so - yeah, I get it. Another reason for considering a P4P.
I think I will see if a P4P pack will fit in my topcase and that would be a big plus.

Indeed same for me. I chose it for the ability to fit in a small pack inside my motorcycle top case.
My Mavic crashed because of some weirdness around a bridge so - yeah, I get it. Another reason for considering a P4P.
I think I will see if a P4P pack will fit in my topcase and that would be a big plus.

I bought a MPP to compliment my P4 standard. I wanted portability with the MPP but, still love the motor power of the P4. Both are nice to have.

The drawback with the Phantom 3 and 4 design-because of my personal experiences- are stress cracks. I've owned 1 of each and both models developed them (no crashes or anything like that). The Mavic from what I gather has not had that issue. At least I don't think that it has....

Quick synopsis:
Crashed Mavic pro.

You dont need 2 mavics.
Get the phantom.

I bought a MPP to compliment my P4 standard. I wanted portability with the MPP but, still love the motor power of the P4. Both are nice to have.

The drawback with the Phantom 3 and 4 design-because of my personal experiences- are stress cracks. I've owned 1 of each and both models developed them (no crashes or anything like that). The Mavic from what I gather has not had that issue. At least I don't think that it has....

I have heard a few folks complaining about stress cracks. I wonder if anyone has tried using a re-bonder such as Plastic-Weld. It will wick into cracks and reflow the plastic if it's a compatible type.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastruct-Pl...MD/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1512502045&sr=8-15

You dont need 2 mavics.
Get the phantom.
After careful consideration and the valued positive opinions here, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't up to worrying about the battery popping out every time I fly.
The clincher was State Farm refused to renew my policy so if it crashes, it's coming out of my pocket.

I have heard a few folks complaining about stress cracks. I wonder if anyone has tried using a re-bonder such as Plastic-Weld. It will wick into cracks and reflow the plastic if it's a compatible type.

https://www.amazon.com/Plastruct-Pl...MD/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1512502045&sr=8-15

I don't know enough to determine if such a product would resolve a crack where I'd be confident in the result. I have heard others talk about it. I discovered a stress crack 8-9 months into ownership. I sent it back to DJI and they 'repaired' it under warranty. Repaired=sent me a refurbished replacement. Total turnaround including shipping was 3 weeks in January 2017. If I can stay stress crack free I will say I love my Standard P4.

I started with the Phanton 4 pro and just picked up a MPP a couple weeks ago. I really like both but they both have +’s and -‘s. Without going into a long winded comparison I’ll mention a couple key points for me. If I was primarily flying for photo’s/video I would use the P4P hands down. If your not a pro photographer and you look at the shots both look great, but if you compare side by side that’s where you see a big difference. On the other hand the MPP has portability in in’s favor and its much easier to have it with you in more situations. I like that I can fit it in the saddlebag on the motorcycle and have it with me on rides site seeing where I can’t do that with the P4P. In your situation I would go for the P4P, I enjoy having both.

In fact I got the MP for exactly that reason - portability on my bike.
I went ahead and got the P4P - it's a terrific bird!
Bonus points is the case that comes with it fits in my topcase!
Six of one half dozen of the other as to time to send aloft - the MP you have to unfold the legs and remove two fiddly gimbal covers. P4P I have to attach 4 props and remove a very simple gimbal cover.
As far as quality - I didn't even have to put them side by side - it's very obvious to me. Of course I have been a photographer a very long time now.

Reactions: lolo780
In fact I got the MP for exactly that reason - portability on my bike.
I went ahead and got the P4P - it's a terrific bird!
Bonus points is the case that comes with it fits in my topcase!
Six of one half dozen of the other as to time to send aloft - the MP you have to unfold the legs and remove two fiddly gimbal covers. P4P I have to attach 4 props and remove a very simple gimbal cover.
As far as quality - I didn't even have to put them side by side - it's very obvious to me. Of course I have been a photographer a very long time now.
Good deal, I'm sure you will enjoy it. I could fit the P4P in my top case too (in the DJI case) but I like to keep that free, when I stop somewhere I can fit two helmets and jacket in there. If your ever looking for something other than the DJI box I got THIS case and have really liked it.

I got an InCase backpack today that would hold both the P4P AND the Mavic. Too high for the top case and also my panniers. Dang. Good deal - too bad it didn't fit and will be returned...

I faced a similar delima. Having used Inspire Pro and owned a P4, P4P, I.was disapointed in the camera choice for the Mavic. I wanted something more portable, but did not want to give up the quality and platform of the P4P. In the end sold the P4P amd waiting for my MPP. I used the MP on a job and was suprised at the camera. For mapping and video, P4P did as well or better than Inspire Pro x5. But for stills, I like the Inspire x5, P4P, MP in that order. Its definately a hard choice, I even had a Manfroto backpack for my P4P, but caarrying a DLSR and gear, just need to cut the weight. But I also have a Inspire to fall back to thou. I am sure they will have a better sensor by thia time next year for MPP or what ever they end up calling it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15