DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Direction-dependent signal quality

Pulp26

Reactions
Have found an interesting feature for my Mini3.
I'm flying on a modified new remote with 2 external omni-directional 2.4Ghz antennas. CE mode, only 2.4 frequency available.

So, I'm flying drone forward, back to me. 700m away (100m height) signal dropped to 2 bars, video stream start to lag. Hovering, turning 180 degrees (camera to me), signal is up to 4-5 bars, picture quality is perfect. Turning 180 degrees again - signal drops immediately. Sustainable issue. If flying one side to me signal quality is somewhere in between.
Looks like antennas in the front arms are working better at least for 2.4Ghz

And second notice - if external antennas in remote are turned horizontally, signal quality seems to be better than they are vertical. Maybe it's due to polarization of antennas in the drone itself.

So, FYI, if you want to fly further - fly backwards ))

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
I've noticed this aswell and have reported here a couple of times already.
If you rotate it and still properly align the RC, the signal is very likely to become better.

Why only 2.4?
5.8 is not enabled in many countries. Here in Kazakhstan we have to deal with 2.4 only and reduced transmission power on top.

Luckily there s a simple tweak to enable it with old remote and iPhone. Not working on new remote though ((

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1