DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable auto land for flying over water?

You can disable autoland getting triggered when pushing stick down at the min height with a 3rd party settings editor, but that will not create a "floor" for the aircraft, it will just remain in your control at all times down to the ground.

Stunning video. Wish I had your skill. Flying over water, near trees and fast all at the same time is much more than my sphincter muscles could handle.

May I ask how you shot this ie was it tap and fly with apas, manual with apas. I dont use apas very often but your video may change my mind.
Thank you for the comments. That was with APAS on in Bypass except over the water at full speed. DLog

Reactions: Crouching Leopard
I fly over creeks and the like, seemingly more often than I'd like. Sometimes I get very low on the water, and a couple times now this has triggered the auto land sequence. Fortunately I reacted fast enough and brought the drone back up. Can auto-landing be disabled, while keeping the ground sensor activated? So no matter how long you hold down on the control, the drone will not go any lower than the minimum ground sensor allowed height.

I see lots of posts for disabling ground sensors, but that is not what I'm wanting to do. I would land via grabbing the drone (my usual method) or perhaps using the land command in the fly app.
Stunning video. Wish I had your skill. Flying over water, near trees and fast all at the same time is much more than my sphincter muscles could handle.

May I ask how you shot this ie was it tap and fly with apas, manual with apas. I dont use apas very often but your video may change my mind.
Beautiful wetlands. Where is that?

Tallahassee FL

Sometimes I feel that there could almost be a checklist for different types of flying missions. For flying over water such as in the above video, what would be members checklists (including drrone settings), or checklists for any other type of "scenic" flying, ie canyons, forests, rivers, cities, beaches with bright sunlight reflecting off the water etc.

Just wondering. Any good ideas and I might create checklists for different scenarios.

Whist I would agree that most folks landing on boats have very little option BUT to grab and twist, I disagree with "Those of us who fly over water" "really only have the 'grabbing' option".
Why? 99% of my 'proper' flights are over the sea with me on land and I 'descend' the drone into my hand most of the time or land it on the ground for the remainder. In fact I think I have only grabbed and twisted once, when an errant dog was trying to get my Mavic 2 P/Z and I'd run out of battery waiting, in vain, for its owners to get control of it.
Besides, is there any mention of the OP being on a boat?
i carry a marine quality portable air horn for dogs that want to eat my drone.

Not that I am aware of. Besides that might be dangerous, what would happen if the drone picked up something in mid air that is thought was ground, e.g. mist, as it speculated can happen? You could possibly end up with the drone stuck in mid air until the forced landing started ( I think forced landing overrides other consideration but I am not 100% certain)

"Grabbing" is not a good idea for a routine method of landing, the drone will fight you. You'd do better to learn to land it in a shallowly cupped hand.
Handgrabbing is not a problem IF you don't hold your hand/fingers right under the sensor but closer to the camera. Then it will not "fight you".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan