DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disable gimbal motors but still record

Reactions
I am travelling in Scotland with no laptop. I fell victim to the mavic pro design flaw of my gimbal motor thinking the clamp is still attached when it is not. I want to still fly and record, but can't currently. Can I disable the camera motors so the camera stays stationary? Will it ruin the motors to force my camera into a fixed position?

Easy answer. Snip the black flat gimbal ribbon cable, then you can fix your gimbal into a stationary position. When you get a chance to have it repaired, it wont be a big deal. There are 2 cables going to the gimbal. Silver and black. If you snip the wrong one, boom! Joking. Just snip the black.

Worthy to note that your footage will likely be unusable anyway depending on your expectations.

... I fell victim to the mavic pro design flaw of my gimbal motor thinking the clamp is still attached when it is not...
I thought I was up on current events but I have not heard of this one. Would I be right thinking this is caused by faulty software or firmware?

Reactions: Former Member
Worthy to note that your footage will likely be unusable anyway depending on your expectations.

He can still hover and take some great stills. He can also take video because disabling the gyro stabilization will be similar to an FPV racer with a fixed cam.
Mavics are heavier and steadier than racers anyway.

Snip the ribbon.jpg

Reactions: Harrygreen15801
I thought I was up on current events but I have not heard of this one. Would I be right thinking this is caused by faulty software or firmware?

You know that annoying message that says "gimbal overload; make sure to remove gimbal clamp."

When it gives you that message, but the clamp is off, it means that the ribbon is damaged.

My suggestion is a field repair. Its a quick fix that will let a pilot keep flying even with an erratic gimbal. Snip the ribbon cable, fix the gimbal into a slightly downward position with tape, and off to the races. I had a Yuneec Breeze with a manually adjustable gimbal tilt. Click click click to tilt it down.

Reactions: CJH92474
Awesome. Thanks for the replies!!

And yes. I've read about tons of MPs having this issue when the cable gets damaged. I figured since the cable was the problem, I'd see what I could do. Again, thanks for the life saving tip!

@Thunderdrones

Reactions: Former Member
So I cut the cable and started it up. The camera still moves around. And when I tape it up, I can hear the brush less motors grinding a little bit.

Then you didn't cut the cable at the top but further down the line after it already feeds a motor or 2...