DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disabled Pilot Question

Brahma

Reactions
Hello folks.

Thank you for letting me join the forum!

I’m looking at getting my first drone and am after some advice. I used to be a keen amateur photographer and spent many hours out with my camera taking landscapes and trying for some decent wildlife shots. Unfortunately this has come to an end following a back injury that means I’m pretty much housebound 24/7. I spend most of my day in my conservatory so have glass in 3 sides looking out onto my back garden and some local countryside. We have a dog that my wife walks everyday.

So my question: as I can’t walk my dog with my wife anymore, I’ve thought about using a drone from my conservatory and “following” my wife as she strolls around with our little beast. Would I be able to do this from the comfort of my easy chair? Or will I lose connectivity?

I don’t yet have a drone but am thinking of buying a DJI mini 3. Is this a good choice?

Many thanks,

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

The Mini 3 Pro is a good choice. You can use the zoom feature to capture wildlife without getting too close.

Reactions: PakNheat380
In my experience, glass doesn't cause much of any interference for the controller radio. For example, many people fly from the comfort of their cars in inclement weather. Trees and metal structures will prove more of a problem. If you maintain line of sight to the drone from your conservatory, you should be fine with any modern DJI drone.

Sympathies for your loss of mobility! We all take our mobile freedom and ability of movement for granted until we lose them.

If the UK rules are similar to the US, you can only pilot the drone if it is in your line of sight. In reality, that isn't very far and once the wife and pooch turns a corner, you will probably lose visual of the drone. However, your wife could pilot the drone and have it follow her and Fido, recording the whole venture for your viewing on their return.

As to the question of losing the signal, it too is pretty much line of sight, though it extends far beyond what the unaided human eye can see.

Reactions: Rotorfreak
Welcome to the forum from NW Montana

Mini 3 Pro would be a good choice since it has active track and can follow your wife as she walks. I think the M3P is the minibum with active track. Another consideration is that you'll want to launch the drone from outside the house so return to home won't put it on the roof. The opportunities for photography from the drone may prove to be a real benefit to you as it will open up opportunities you haven't had before. DJI is an excellent choice for a drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ninoaoe