DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disapointed so far....

rich85

Reactions
Hi all!

Long time reader, first time poster. Apologies my first post is a negative one.

Have been using quads couple of yeas now. Currenty have a Mavic Pro and Air. Had a spark but swapped in.

Each DJI drone has always impressed me. Yesterday I picked up a Mavic 2 zoom and was super excited to open it up.

Open opening it I was almost instantly finding things I was not happy about. Seems like a lot of cost cutting?

My intial impressions:

The charger only has one extra USB port, not 2 like the Mavic 1. Annoying
The drone is USB C connection, the remote is USB B. WHY?
No dedicated USB B type cable included, just a small adaptor to convert the USB C cable.
Gimbal cover is still horrible to use
Folding the drone back up the rear legs hit the body slightly as it's about to close. Is this a defect?

Then on to the missing HW features I have noticed so far:

No Dual compass
No option to fly from phone
Less LED's in front of drone

Anyway all this aside, I was still excited.

Power it up and notice the front LED markers only have 3 LED's in them. Mavic 1 had 4. Noticable Mavic 2 not as bright in day time.

Try to update the software of the Mavic using my Galaxy Note 9 and after 1.5 hours I cannot.

Granted I have not flown this yet, but my initail thoughts are not great at all. Tempted to return it. :(

USB-C makes sense on aircraft to transfer data from internal storage or card, but for the RC micro is smaller/people have more micro cables around?

No dedicated USB B type cable included, just a small adaptor to convert the USB C cable.
Welp, who doesn't have dozens of them?

Folding the drone back up the rear legs hit the body slightly as it's about to close. Is this a defect?
Nope... does feel a little less "clean", but meh.

No Dual compass
Like the Air it uses vision sensors as the second source, actually better since it's a different data source and thus less likely both will be affected by the same interference.

Was pointless anyway...

That's personal, but I have mine always OFF anyway.

Thanks for the reply. I am sure it will be great to fly but this is a first for me with DJI to have so many concerns!

I physically cannot update the drone being the main one!

The LEDs are personal correct. But i expect improved vision. Not worse :(

The charger is not as good (less usb)

USB C is the new standard. Its sloppy not to include on remote

The fly from phone was useless agreed but was a nice back up if ever needed.

I am not even talking about removed SW features here which is a huge complaint from many.

Reactions: Magilla Gorilla
I always upgrade using Assistant, not a mobile device.

SW features are supposed to come back, but yeah not very reassuring...

Even though the charger only has one USB port, it does have a built in micro usb cable on the side. So really they improved the chargers since you will never need the cable to charge the controller.

Even though the charger only has one USB port, it does have a built in micro usb cable on the side. So really they improved the chargers since you will never need the cable to charge the controller.

Does it? Did not notice this. Ok that is cool!

Nice touch!:)

Reactions: Elton Hammonds
Hi all!

Have been using quads couple of yeas now. Currenty have a Mavic Pro and Air. Had a spark but swapped in.

Each DJI drone has always impressed me. Yesterday I picked up a Mavic 2 zoom and was super excited to open it up.

Granted I have not flown this yet, but my initail thoughts are not great at all. Tempted to return it. :(

I am not going to post your initial quote but everyone has their opinion and expectations and sorry yours is not overly positive. I will tell you I have the spark and the air and now the zoom and I am thoroughly impressed. I spent the better part of the week trying to order this quad and after using amazon and locking in the price with the bundle, and two times the vendor delaying and then eventually raising the price, my wife volunteered to go to Best Buy over an hour away and pick it up.

Today was the first day using it and wow very impressed. I like the zoom lossless feature and clarity of detail. At least for me. Connecting the quad to the app was sort of a pain first time up but eventually I got it and it works decent. I am using a pixel 2 xl. All the firmware was updated using the mavic assistant and the app was updated also.

Again sorry for the up front disappointments you have had but maybe that will turn around for you.

I'm also sorry your experience opening the box was not the best. Mine was just the opposite. I love my new Mavic 2 and thought it's build quality was on par with my original MP.

In my mind, it is better in every way. I for one, liked that they weeded out some of the "features" (ie, Intelligent Flight Modes) because I never used them any way. I know that others probably did and now they miss them. But for me, it wasn't a big deal.

Precision Landing - Never used it anyway and probably won't when it comes back.
Charger - Has 1 USB port AND a built in micro-USB charging cord. Awesome!
Gimbal Cover - Once I used it a few times, I find it an improvement over the original MP gimbal lock and cover.
Folding the Rear Legs - I also find this an improvement. I like how the legs "lock" into place better. I simply pull them away from the body of the drone as I fold or unfold them. Non-issue for me.
USB C on Drone - Much faster file transmission than my card reader. Love this feature!
Fly from Phone - Didn't even know the original MP had this feature. Everyone that I have ever talked to about the Spark hates flying it from the phone. Once they get the controller, they love it!
Upgrading Firmware - I also could not do it from my phone. I simply hooked it up to my computer and used the Assistant 2 app to upgrade it.

Once you get it in the air, I hope you start enjoying it. It is an amazing little drone!!!

Last edited:
I'm also sorry your experience opening the box was not the best. Mine was just the opposite. I love my new Mavic 2 and thought it's build quality was on par with my original MP.

In my mind, it is better in every way. I for one, liked that they weeded out some of the "features" (ie, Intelligent Flight Modes) because I never used them any way. I know that others probably did and now they miss them. But for me, it wasn't a big deal.

Precision Landing - Never used it anyway and probably won't when it comes back.
Charger - has 1 USB port AND an built in micro-USB charging cord. Awesome!
Gimbal cover - Once I used it a few times, I find it an improvement over the original MP gimbal lock and cover.
Folding the rear legs - I also find this an improvement. I like how the legs "lock" into place better. I simply pull them away from the body of the drone as I fold or unfold them. Non-issue for me.
USB C on Drone - Much faster file transmission than my card reader. Love this feature!
Fly from phone - Didn't even know the original MP had this feature. Everyone that I have ever talked to about the Spark hates flying it from the phone. Once they get the controller, they love it!
Upgrading firmware - I also could not do it from my phone. I simply hooked it up to my computer and used the Assistant 2 app to upgrade it.

Once you get it in the air, I hope you start enjoying it. It is an amazing little drone!!!

AGREED! who the hell wants to fly using their phone? I wanted the spark, and was almost going to buy it, and all the research I did on it people were saying using a controller made a HUGE IMPROVEMENT!
the mavic 2 zoom is my first real drone and couldn't be happier!!
OP, Fly yours then make a decision.

All my experience with the Zoom so far has been great. Every concern I had along the way was resolved after I re-read the manual and consulted YT tutorials ...

Reactions: fleurdelisxliv
I have been flying drones now for 5 years and have just upgraded from a p2v+, of course the m2z is an awesome upgrade for me, sorry you are underwhelmed with your upgrade.

Hi all!

Open opening it I was almost instantly finding things I was not happy about. Seems like a lot of cost cutting?

My intial impressions:

The charger only has one extra USB port, not 2 like the Mavic 1. Annoying
Gimbal cover is still horrible to use

Then on to the missing HW features I have noticed so far:

No Dual compass

Anyway all this aside, I was still excited.

Power it up and notice the front LED markers only have 3 LED's in them. Mavic 1 had 4. Noticable Mavic 2 not as bright in day time.

Try to update the software of the Mavic using my Galaxy Note 9 and after 1.5 hours I cannot.

Could not update firmware via Samsung Note 9 nor Samsung S3 tablet. Finally managed to upgrade firmware after installing the DJI Assistant 2 on a Windows 10 - Still cannot configure via that app. Ferrer!!

I originally missed the charger's built in cable for the remote, as I usually don't take protective wrappings/covers off unless necessary. First few times I used the included cable and adapter. Charger is under-powered. The batteries can charge faster if provided more current, such as what the car charger seems to provide (when it works)
USB-C is better for transferring from the AC, but you have to have the AC turned on. Would be neat if it could power from the cable.
Could there be improvements? Sure, even discounting the currently missing flight features. But I think it is awesome.

How about I give you my opinion, try flying the darn thing first then provide your opinion. Your pointless post is ridiculous , why not tell us you weren’t pleased with its packaging and the poor attitude of the UPS delivery driver. WTF

Thanks for your opinion!

I am not displeased with the packaging. That was actually well thought out.:)

The quad itself I have concerns over!

Mainly the rear legs hit each other when folding, not as bright front leds and it will not update through DJI4. The mavic 1 can handle all of these no problems.

The rest is trivial but the above are the main points.

These are my thoughts so far. Which are a little disappointing.

Will update about flying it, once I can update the thing! But so far it has not been the best start

Cheers!

Could not update firmware via Samsung Note 9 nor Samsung S3 tablet. Finally managed to upgrade firmware after installing the DJI Assistant 2 on a Windows 10 - Still cannot configure via that app. Ferrer!!

I am reading this is a very common issue for people updating via Android

Ya I had a problem downloading the firmware on my android.. had to do it through the computer...

I am so sick of hearing/reading about the back leg scraping issue.
And to all android users... I use a crystalsky (which is android based) to fly... but an old iPhone 6 for updates.
That’s just the price you pay for state of the art tech.
If one doesn’t like that reality then I don’t know what to tell you.
If you can’t beat them, join them

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000