DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

disappointed with DJI and the constant problematic updates

Hi everyone,

I'm a Mavic Air2 owner, really tired of all these firmware/software updates and to be a free "beta tester" for DJI.

Since I spent 1200 CHF (the equivalent of 1200 USD) for a drone think it is my right to have something I can use as I like .

Due to the latest updates of the Fly APP I had continuous disconnections between the drone and the remote controller and an incredible video lag so did not feel safe when flying.

I bought the Air 2 in June 2020 and everything worked perfectly before the Mini 2 arrived on the market.

After upgrading to DJI FLY version 1.2 I had to downgrade to version 1.1.9 to safely use the drone again. Then trusted V1.2.2 and attracted by the new features installed it: another disaster and then another downgrade to 1.1.9.

In conclusion I would like to use the drone as I do with my reflex camera, I take it out of my bag and use it without worrying about endless technical issues. I work in the IT department of a big company and in my spare time don't want to deal with solving technical problems.

While I am writing realized that other updates have been released for both the firmware and the APP (1.2.4).

Should I install them or is it yet another waste of time?

Best regards to everyone.

Claudio
You certainly can sell your aircraft and move on... I'm not trying to be crass, but there are other aircraft on the market. For example, a "neighboring" country, France, has a wonderful product by Parrot, the Anafi. I'm sure they are perfect and never have hardware or software or firmware problems. It probably runs on every smartphone, smart pad, computer, and controller ever produced, and the batteries never need to be recharged.

with every new model of drone that DJI have sold, there has been a period of time after release ,when the firmware has been constantly updated ,and with the new MA 2 and Mini 2 there has been the added complication of a new APP to contend with as well,the only way to avoid this period is to wait for at least 6 months after release for all the bugs to be sorted out ,i made the decision at the release of the M2P ,to purchase the MPP instead at a very good price and during the last 2 plus years i have hardly had to do any updates as all the issues had been resolved before my purchase,with the MM i was lucky enough to have it as a present from a family member on the day of its release ,and even after a year, i am still getting updates mainly because of the Fly App which the MM uses, but i must say that even though most of the App updates are to do with the MA2 and Mini2 ,on IOS they have never caused me any issues
So well put... we should clone your reply and have it be the first reply to any "what's wrong with DJI" post. Whilst I understand the frustration, do your best -everyone- to describe the issue -after doing a Forum search on the topic- and hope that others here are willing to take the time to help out. Thx for taking the time to reply Mod.

Reactions: old man mavic
A carry over from my P3 flying is, don't update unless something forces it. Or as my Dad used to say "if it isn't broken don't fix it".

Don't rush in to be a tester and don't get sucked in by the "I must have the latest what ever."
I had 1.2.... on a phone for about 20 minute's and two test flights, disconnection warnings left, right and centre. It came off and 1.6.... went back on.

Reactions: Thomas B
Technology today is just very complicated, it seems like people have issues no matter the device. You buy electronics from companies that spend months testing their hardware and software, and beta testing, with small groups, how small that is, not sure.. could be dozens, could be hundreds or more, they all more or less at some point need to decide to ship the product., when that happens, all of a sudden within days or weeks, thousands or tens of thousands, or more have the new product and then all the wrinkles that the beta testers could never encounter show up and then there are updates.

Someone reports an issue, they say it happens all the time in a forum like this, and within hours, slews of people come along and say, mine does not do that, or someone thinks theirs did it, but not sure.. etc etc.

Sometimes they ship a version that does not have all the intended features because it just takes to long to do everything up front, and so, new versions of software and firmware are released, some people again, have issues, others do not. Sometimes it seems like people see phantom issues that no one can ever replicate. whats up with that? Not saying the user doesn't see a problem, but if it's not readily duplicatable, it's specific to that users hardware.

And to me, the biggest issue for drones is, unless you have a dedicated device like perhaps the smart controller that manages your drone flights, your using a tablet or phone. There are two types, IOS and Android.. Of those two, IMHO IOS is the more reliable because all you need to contend with is IOS updates.. The version of iPhone or iPad is only relevant if it has enough power for the App.

On Android, you wind up with dozens of variables, slews of different versions, modded for the device its running on.. Makes clean testing virtually impossible, because you could never test all the flavors of Android across all the devices effectively. Though perhaps they get pretty good results for some and not others.

Course even then, no matter what, someone invariably has an issue on some device that either a few people see or no one sees.. Perhaps its all perception of what we think it should do, then there is how it really works.

just my 2 cents.... have a good day

Last edited:
I'm having the same problems as OP.

But I think it is my mobile. It is not in compatible list.
My mobile is a Samsung S20+ and after I update to Android 11 I got disconections every time.

I've heard I think in other threads that Android 11 is problematic, though perhaps it works for some and not others, cannot recall.. I am sure someone will pipe up.. And it does seem like later Samsungs, perhaps with V11 are contributing factors.

Reactions: anghinoni
So well put... we should clone your reply and have it be the first reply to any "what's wrong with DJI" post. Whilst I understand the frustration, do your best -everyone- to describe the issue -after doing a Forum search on the topic- and hope that others here are willing to take the time to help out. Thx for taking the time to reply Mod.
Thank you for the compliment... I'm honored. I encourage friends, relatives, and associates to take a moment and READ their written replies before hitting [Send]. In fact, read them out loud and ask-oneself whether "it" really makes sense! We do have a blind side when it comes to being a consumer. Everything MUST work as to our own expectations, regardless of complexity... sorry, I wax hopeful! again, thank you

You certainly can sell your aircraft and move on... I'm not trying to be crass, but there are other aircraft on the market. For example, a "neighboring" country, France, has a wonderful product by Parrot, the Anafi. I'm sure they are perfect and never have hardware or software or firmware problems. It probably runs on every smartphone, smart pad, computer, and controller ever produced, and the batteries never need to be recharged.
Being a flyer of Parrots I would say app updates and firmware updates are worst than DJI's

Reactions: pelagic_one
Being a flyer of Parrots I would say app updates and firmware updates are worst than DJI's
Without question! ( Part of my point in mentioning them... I have 3 ! ). Their support is nearly non-existent, their "forum" is confusing at best, and followup on warranty -though improving- leaves many in tears. I will say, though, their firmware updates go smoothly, and aircraft are pretty durable, even though the early ones ( compressed foam ) seemed pretty flimsy.

Reactions: anghinoni and lpff
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair